ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 on top gear

182 ff
if you haven't seen it.. its on dave today(23/02) at 1pm (1.50pm) and on plus one....wonder where the car used is now....

182 ff
yes its the blue one.. it would be good to see the time of trophy 182 , round the track,and the new clio sport..
just checked the 182(blue one) beat a clio 200 cup and a mini cooper works.. and a megane 225.. all dry times

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Both of the cars were supplied by Renault, the one in the review was the media slag given to journalists to abuse,
the one that went round the track was a tuned up model from the factory, all car companies have a special one they use for TG lap times.

182 ff
Both of the cars were supplied by Renault, the one in the review was the media slag given to journalists to abuse,
the one that went round the track was a tuned up model from the factory, all car companies have a special one they use for TG lap times.

Clarkson said something yesterday about Mclaren will only let their new car(P1) a round track,(not the top gear track)if all the cars are standard road cars, that has been sold already,Ferrari will only do it,if the car comes direct from the factory(so they can fiddle with it ..) if any one lets top gear borrow a LaFerrari ,they make sure they can never buy a special addition Ferrari again) so your right they do tune them up.. Ferrari are scared of getting beat...

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I did laugh when you said they left the script in the car and it said the 182 lost the head to head,
which was typed before you'd even shown up. lol

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yes, not good for your future relations with a major car manufacturer
if you're head to head test shows the all new singing and dancing RS Clio isn't as fast as the cut price tin bucket it replaces.

182cup & 172 racecar
How much did the 182 actually beat it buy in the end?

Not a lot, but enough.
I was timing it, even text Fred at the time to tell him, then was shocked when they told us their time.
Got home and found the script in the back of my car in the footwell lol.

clio 182 trophy
Not a lot, but enough.
I was timing it, even text Fred at the time to tell him, then was shocked when they told us their time.
Got home and found the script in the back of my car in the footwell lol.
Haha that is comedy gold. Didn't tiff also lift off to oversteer to post a slower time too?

I have always wondered about the cars on top gear and the laps they post.

Such a shame. And extreme poorness from 5th gear too!!!

clio 182 trophy
I have always wondered about the cars on top gear and the laps they post.

Such a shame. And extreme poorness from 5th gear too!!!
They must be getting brown envelopes all over the place.
If a manufacturer decides to make the newer performance car slower either in straight line or handling performance, or both, then they must suffer the loss of sales due to the public knowing from reviews. Imo them doing so is kind of ripping customers off. At best letting them down.

They must be getting brown envelopes all over the place
If a manufacturer decides to make the newer performance car slower either in straight line or handling performance, or both, then they must suffer the loss of sales due to the public knowing from reviews. Imo them doing so is kind of ripping customers off. At best letting them down.

In my book that's false advertising. TG and 5G should be ashamed of themselves really- especially the BBC! Who do you trust then? No one! Ha

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Clarkson's Write Up -

"Another simple idea is the Renault Clio Trophy that I’ve been driving this past week. What we have here is a small three-door hatchback fitted with a large engine. And er . . . that’s it. In most hot hatchbacks these days the extra power afforded by the big engine is wasted lugging around all the luxury and computer equipment that the Milton Keynes flip-chart salarymen think we all want.

Not on the Clio it isn’t. Instead of overly complicated climate control you get simple air-conditioning, and that, on the luxury front, really is the end of the story. Unless you count the weirdest cruise control I’ve ever found.

Like any other cruise system, you can choose a speed and the car will stick to that unless you turn it off, brake or accelerate. But unlike any other system I’ve encountered, there’s another facility that lets you choose the top speed of the car. Select 70 and it becomes impossible to go faster. The engine just won’t let you.

I had enormous fun with this, driving from one side of Birmingham to the other with it set on 30. You’d be staggered how much of a nuisance you can be if you are physically prevented from breaking the speed limit. I was given the finger maybe half a dozen times. Even more than usual, the Brummies were delighted when I got on the M42 and went back to Britain.

Here, I turned off the Clio’s only techno feature and just used it as a car. And it was great. The 182bhp 2 litre engine pulls with planetary torque from low revs and sings power ballads at the top end, but the car’s real party piece is its handling. It seems to go round any corner at whatever speed takes your fancy.

There is traction control but it’s the laziest, most ineffectual system in the world, not bothering to get off its fat arse once in a whole week of road rocketry. I got the impression after a while it was just a button on the dash, connected to nothing at all. And that’s a good thing. It meant I was in charge.

And boy, was I having a laugh. I loved the big, comfortable and hugely supportive seats, I loved the speed, but my most abiding memory is the way this little race-bred car arcs round corners like a mono waterskier on a millpond. I also loved the way that, when all is said and done, the Trophy is just a Clio, same easy-to-mend parts, same practicality and the same value. It’s only £15,500, for heaven’s sake.

There are only two things wrong. First, it has a very hard ride, and second, the Clio Trophy was a last hoorah before the new Clio came along. You are therefore hard pressed to find one. But if you can, go ahead and buy it. It’s a very human car in a very complicated world. Vital statistics

Model Renaultsport Clio Trophy
Engine
1998cc, four cylinders
Power 182bhp @ 6500rpm
Torque 147 lb ft @ 5250rpm
Transmission Five-speed manual
Fuel 34.9mpg
CO2 194g/km
Acceleration 0-62: 6.9sec
Top speed 139mph
Price £15,500"

Rating 4/5
Verdict Proof that keeping it simple is best

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
What have topgear done wrong in all of this? i'm so confused so people can't tell the difference between 5th gear and top gear.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Ive never been so disgusted at censorship than today. I'd expect Ferrari to pull a PR knife trick but for renault to tune up a trophy just for tv is just desperate. My old cup still did 142mph and 185bhp with minimal mods at 120k miles on the clock.