ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 rear caliper rebuild - whats so hard?

My Kangoo 182 has just failed its first MOT on rear brake imbalance and handbrake efficiency, so have bought a full rebuild kit.

I'm reading in places that the handbrake mech is a pain... whats so awkward about it? I've got all the bits and am very well versed in other brand caliper rebuilds..

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
My Kangoo 182 has just failed its first MOT on rear brake imbalance and handbrake efficiency, so have bought a full rebuild kit.

I'm reading in places that the handbrake mech is a pain... whats so awkward about it? I've got all the bits and am very well versed in other brand caliper rebuilds..
Its concave washers back to back

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Its concave washers back to back
It's nigh on impossible to get all the concave washers back in. I guess they must have some sort of small press and jig when they're first assembled.
@OpulentPete . I doubt the rebuild kit will contain these washers. You'll probably just have the sliders and dust seals , piston and dust boots?

It's nigh on impossible to get all the concave washers back in. I guess they must have some sort of small press and jig when they're first assembled.
@OpulentPete . I doubt the rebuild kit will contain these washers. You'll probably just have the sliders and dust seals , piston and dust boots?
Can't see any washers no, just seals, covers and pistons.

Does anyone have access to an exploded diagram?? Ive looked but cant find any decent info.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Like @Louis said. It's behind the handbrake arm. It operates a small cam that presses down on the washers , that's what makes the caliper release the brake pads when you release the handbrake. They are inside the body of the caliper.
I'd leave them well alone mate or you wont ever get it back together
I speak from experience lol. I once dismantled an old caliper to see how it works. Needless to say it never went back on any car. ;)

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
What you want to do is move the arm manually and measure the distance the piston moves.

Less hassle to just buy new calipers rather than do a full rebuild, iirc there only £50 odd each.

They're £120 each + £41 exchange deposit. (Eurocarparts) even at their current "SALE60" they are around £80 each.
The seal kit for both, with new pistons was £35... so... I'll stick with my rebuild plan.

OK thanks guys, I'll leave that bit in situ!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
They're £120 each + £41 exchange deposit. (Eurocarparts) even at their current "SALE60" they are around £80 each.
The seal kit for both, with new pistons was £35... so... I'll stick with my rebuild plan.

OK thanks guys, I'll leave that bit in situ!

Various ones on the bay for £50.

Pug & citroen also use the same calipers for various models.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I rebuilt mine recently, easy job. Hardest thing was removing the piston wind mechanism (think that’s what it’s called) as the split ring clip is a beast to remove! But new seals and pistons fitted, didn’t touch the handbrake mechanism, just replaced the boot. Much cheaper than replacing the units in their entirety.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well that's one done, straight forwards!
But as said, I didnt touch the handbrake mech, it looked fine.

Next!
They're easy on the piston, just a normal caliper really. It's the mechanism inside thay can become non functional. You want to measure the distance the piston moves when operating the mech