ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 started - stalled it - now dead

TrackCar & F30 330d
I started my 182 had it running for bout 5-10 minutes and when i went to pull out of my parking space i stalled it as i was pulling away in 2nd because of the snow.

Went to start it and the lights all come on, then went off. Went to start it and it just sort of turned over 0.5 of a turn and it just died.

I now cant get any lights on the dash when turning the key, no radio, no centrel locking, nothing.

I'm not really sure where to start, i checked come of the little fuses and they are fine. also checked the battery was all connected everywhere and its fine too.

Could it be the immobiliser? how do i check it?

Help

Thanks

Chris

Da

Less
If you put the key in the ignition what does the red immobiliser light on the dash do?

To be honest though, even if the immob was dead you should still get the dash lights illuminating.

Have you checked the main -ve connection from the battery to the block?

TrackCar & F30 330d
There are no lights what so ever now so in that case its probably not the immob.

I did check the battery connectors and they all see to be fine.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Checked the engine bay fuses? I had something like this happen to me and it was one of those.

What about the fuel pump priming whirr, still hear that?

TrackCar & F30 330d
no fuel pump priming. the car is completly dead.

I have checked some of the little fuses in the engine bay and they are fine. I'll go check the bigger ones later.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Another thing, i took the car out yesterday for a long drive so the batter will/should have got a good charge. Could it be the alternator which is bu**ered?

Cro

Meg'd r27
Only way to check would be charge the battery up full and have a jeff. Time for the old multimeter to come out

M

mini-valver

As above, when you staled it, the jolt of the engine could have ripped the cable out of a ring connector.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Ok i will check it all tuesday.

Allthough i stalled it, then turned the ignition on and the lights can on and then went off so the power was still on after the stall. It was only on teemepting to start it again when the power just cut out.

Hope its an easy fix :rolleyes:

ITB'd 182...
Main power feed for my Alternator broke on mine and did this.

Have a quick look, Chris.

Easy to spot and an easy fix :)

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
also batteries on the Clio can be OK one minute and then completely dead - like it says - time for the multimeter

TrackCar & F30 330d
:(

I spent a few hours today trying to get her running with no luck.

I tryed starting her off my friends car and it didnt work, no lights on the dash or anything.

After fiddeling for ages i noticed the immobliser light was on and when i turn the ignition the immob light goes out, but thats it, no lights on my dash no fuel pump priming no clicks.

I think the battery should be ok,

I checked all the earths that i knew of, none of them have come off of anything, also checked the cabels going to the alternetor but with nothing was wrong.

Any more ideas.

I have the RAC so as a last resort i could call them out to see if they know what the problem is

Cro

Meg'd r27
Ok so you have power getting to places. Have you checked the voltage yet? Pretty sure theres one fuse that runs both the dash lights and the fuel pump

TrackCar & F30 330d
I have checked all the fuses in the engine bay. The big ones and the little ones. The only things i havnt checked checked (because i dont know how) is the plastic blocks near the fuses. I have forgotten what they are called.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
just call the rac out, will save your time in trying to find the fault when the guy should spot it fairly easily i hope.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Could have been a bad connection on the battery. as it had a bad connection, we tryed bumping it straight off the cables with out them connected to the bat. Might have another fiddel with it tomorrow before callign the RAC.

TrackCar & F30 330d
If the power cable had come off the started motor then would there be no power to all the electircs?

Also do i check the started motor from the top of the engine or the bottom?

TrackCar & F30 330d
I've had a little look at the starter motor and the connectors are all ok. I checked the fueses again and they are all ok too.

Any more suggestions?