ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 suspension (cup), what's the best upgrade?

I've noticed the 182 suspension is a bit rubbish (with cup suspension option).

The spring rates are ok (though front could go a bit stiffer) and the damper bump rates are ok but the damper rebound rates are way too low. It makes the car slightly wallowy over uneven surfaces and very nervous in high speed corners.

Has anyone fitted good suspension to their 182?

What did you fit, what do you think of it and where did you get it (price?)?

Thanks,
Dave.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
A decent set of coilovers will do the trick,

Ledas are probably the best but come at a price

all depends on your budget, you can improve handling on any budget of between £90 and £1200, all depending on what you want.

leda make the best for the clio.

I've been in all the other branded suspension kits, not a patch.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
lagerlout1 said:
lol. That's a lot!

How do H&R's compare? I guess they're probably not as good, but in terms of price v's performance?

Carnt get H&R's for the 182 yet but you can get FK's or KWs for 500-700..

EVOgone said:
I would say what the Clio cup cars use as being the best...Bilstein i think..

They run set rate dampers, non adj as to take away some of the adj of the cars. They are good, but i wouldnt call them the best either.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
The Bilsteins are good as a track kit...monotube takes away the adjustability so unless extensive testing has been carried out to get the right shim stack for the road then they wont be 'that' good.

shim stacks will either be good for, A road, B road, or track......not all 3.

That is the ONLY problem with monotubes, they need constant re-valving for different circumstances.

Looks like Ledas are this forums choice.

I meant for the road though I used to drive rally cars on the road so I can put up with a stiffer setup than most. £1200 is a LOT for 4 dampers + 4 springs, obviously they would be adjustable rebound dampers so at least some degree of preference could be set up.

Looks like google and an hour on the phone is required !

Gary G said:
The Bilsteins are good as a track kit...monotube takes away the adjustability so unless extensive testing has been carried out to get the right shim stack for the road then they wont be 'that' good.

"These" that you thought they were on about... those bilsteins still blow the ledas out of the water...

The damping settings on the Bilsteins were developed by ReanultSport, not by us for a Group N Tarmac Setting. But... hey, what do I know - I only developed the kit...

/y0z

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
I was just saying that a monotube design limits adjustability...if the damper is for track then the shim stack valving is designed for that use and will not be effective on the road.

If you are talking about the cup racer Bilsteins then i'm sure they are first rate for track use, just you wouldn't want them on a road car imo.

Lionel Richie
Gary G said:
I was just saying that a monotube design limits adjustability...if the damper is for track then the shim stack valving is designed for that use and will not be effective on the road.

have you tried this Gary???

we're putting the race setup on a road car at the moment! :)

rear shocks alone cost £1K!!!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I love to hear about the sheer stupidity of fitting a full race setup to a road car.

Is this how the costs break down?

Base clio £11,000
Clio cup race suspension £3200
Full resurface and reconstruction of all uk roads so i dont crash £54Billion.

Where do i sign?

Renaultsport 220T
y0z2a said:
"These" that you thought they were on about... those bilsteins still blow the ledas out of the water...

The damping settings on the Bilsteins were developed by ReanultSport, not by us for a Group N Tarmac Setting. But... hey, what do I know - I only developed the kit...

/y0z

What's the difference between the one's developed for Group N, and the one's you have developed?

And how much are you selling them for?

y0z2a said:

/y0z

Which billies blow the ledas out the water?

Fred2001Dynamic said:
i swear this is like the 100th time we've had this argu.... sorry disscusion!
Sorry, didn't know though I had a quick scan before posting didn't see anything similar.

So do other 182 drivers have the same assessment of the 182 suspension as I do then?

From;
http://www.yozzasport.co.uk/store/products.php?cat=8
the Bilstiens are expensive at £1,650 and assume are not adjustable. Should be very good and ought to come complete at that price I'd have thought. I assume including rose-jointed top mounts etc as direct replacement so that standard struts remain intact (easy to replace).

And there's the Trophy Gaz Gold "Trackday" considerably cheaper at £750. Are these complete and are they adjustable rebound dampers?

But neither in stock! :)