ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 suspension (cup), what's the best upgrade?

Lionel Richie
The GAZ gold are fully adjustable, very nice bit of kit, GAZ are slightly behind with production (as is everyone) after the new year, so we're awaiting delivery!

delivery time is normally around a week or less from order (depends if GAZ have stock)

Is there a web site for Gaz so I can read up on their product or a review of them somewhere?

I assume "fully adjustable" means "adjustable rebound dampers" and not bump settings or ride height?

Gaz were apalling..........no getting round it, practically laughable when we dynoed the damper......you could call it an on/off damper.

And guys, take it from me.....the ledas are better all round, with a much larger and usable range of adj. On maximum stiff yours were killer, on maximum softness..bouncy. But thats just the downfall of monotubes. But, yes, monos are better ultimately, but hey...who has the ability to re-valve for every condition they are going to run into. On the dual tubes, the compression/rebound ratio is much more linear, so the dampers dont loose composure over a large (24 point) range of adj.

And before you have a huff, your dampers were good....i didnt say they were crap ever, or that they were GAZ level. ON track they were perfectly fine, a little soft but thats down to valving and spring rates which you chose, and i assume can adjust......but i didnt like them on the road.

And thats my opinon........and since i dont sell either.....its valid. :p

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
lol

Regarding Ohlins; unless the valving has been perfected (would require extensive testing on varying road conditions and many rebuilds to alter the shim stack. Hopefully you would be able to come to some kind of compromise) The Ohlins VX220 kit is pretty good but that had GM backing so extensive testing and refinement was carried out.

Nascar race teams run Ohlins (monotube with shim stack) and the only reason they do is because they have the facilities to strip the damper down and revalve for the given situation. Of course there is an Ohlins truck track side so you can nip over and pick out a few new shim stacks to test.

Ultimately you make a choice and pay your many, gotta trust someone along the line?!

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Also, just to add....HKS hypermax coilovers are monotube and interestingly they dont sell their suspension in the UK for the reason that our roads are very poor and the valving has actually been know to fail due to this.

I have ledas and a couple of points I would make are-

leda do a spring exchange free of charge if you want to increase/decrease your spring rates.

the dampers work from there softest setting through to there hardest.

This provides a very adjustable setup which allows you to have a play to find the best setup to suit your driving.

I paid £900 for the ledas, my other choices at the time were bilstein (£1600 and more track orientated) or GAZ (£500 and s**t).

I am sure if I had the choice of some £700 H&Rs I would probably have bought those. Unless the GAZ golds are any good you are struggling for any real choice unfortunately.

LOL at the comments about Ben and jumping off cliffs. I personally value his opinion but also take note of what alot of people (but certainly not all) have to say about things on the forum. It is what put me off the GAZ originally as Loony and Gary had them on there cars and did not rate them.

I think the argument about what is 'best' out of the bilstein and ledas is an interesting one but a big factor for most would be the £400 price difference and the fact that most people may track there clio but also wish to use it on the road. This would give the advantage to the ledas IMO as you could drive to the track on a soft setting spend 5 mins cranking the dampers up to a harder setting and repeat when you drive home > the best of both worlds???

E91 M Sport
Just want to put this into perspective...As a GAZ coilover user I strangely feel the need to give my view on them as they're getting pretty badly slated on here. Firstly, if you want them to work properly, they'll need to be set fairly hard - about 15 clicks from hardest (out of 42) - if they're not, the damping is far too soft for the springs and the car feel floaty and uncontrollable.

When I initially installed them, I had the rear wound down to the lowest setting, but after finding out that better handling is achieved from having the ride height level, or better still 1-2mm higher at the back than the front, I raised the rear by 9mm. The results were impressive; before the rear of the car would be harsh on even the smallest compressions (giving weight to the arguement that GAZ are indeed sh*t) but now there is far more compliency, and although the ride is firm (there is no getting away from this with the GAZ setup) it is more progressive.

I don't doubt that Leda / Bilstien / H&R are better, but I'm quietly confident that considering the price difference, GAZ coilovers do represent fair value for money.

Gary G said:
lol

Regarding Ohlins; unless the valving has been perfected (would require extensive testing on varying road conditions and many rebuilds to alter the shim stack. Hopefully you would be able to come to some kind of compromise) The Ohlins VX220 kit is pretty good but that had GM backing so extensive testing and refinement was carried out.

Nascar race teams run Ohlins (monotube with shim stack) and the only reason they do is because they have the facilities to strip the damper down and revalve for the given situation. Of course there is an Ohlins truck track side so you can nip over and pick out a few new shim stacks to test.

Ultimately you make a choice and pay your many, gotta trust someone along the line?!

There is an Ohlins Clio 172 Kit Available.

/y0z