ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Tapping Around Pax Front Wheel

Hi guys,

Started noticing a tapping coming from the front pax wheel at idle, rev and it goes, but it comes back again. Seems to have something to do with the cold, it doesnt do it when its warm.

Any ideas? Its kinda intermittent, like tap tap tappa tap tappa tappa tap, and is quite loud outside the car, the same volume as tapping a window with moderate force.

I understand this sounds like the charcoal canister, but thats apparently on the other side. It may also be linked with the noise at with full throttle and high revs; a raspy whooshing sound from the same corner, which also lessens on a warmer day.

Cheers,

Andy

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
Well. Erm. On our old dynamique, we had a similar sound that was somthing to do with the MAP sensor causing it to trigger I think. On that car it was front drivers side, but I dunno wether it's in a different position on the Sport. Havn't had a chance to have a look where it is yet. The purge valve vents gases from the fuel system into the inlet manifold, and it can fail, which I *think* causes this tapping. Apparently if you can blow through the valve it's f**ked. should be able to disconnect it from the inlet manifold and try. Sorry, I know this isn't a good explanation. It's late, and I 'aint really had a chance to have a good look at how the Sport is layed out under the bonnet yet...

This morning I had a listen and it was on the drivers side, so I don't know if I have two seperate problems here...

I'm gonna have a root around at the weekend and post my findings, hopefully I'll have a bit more info to offer on the problem!

The tapping on the pax side that I heard yesterday was a more irregular one and sounded metallic (the drivers side which is most likely the charcoal canister was louder in the car than out and was a more dull but regular tapping), maybe its something on the airbox thats loose and rattling? If something is loose on it it could explain the raspy induction noise on full throttle?

Cheers for the suggestions cg172 :star:

Right, the quiet tapping is definitely the charcoal thing, but there is another tap/rattle after long journeys (hour plus) that comes from the pax side front that is louder and more irregular. Not sure if the cold has anything to do with it though. It doesnt increase with revs or anything, it just rattles away at its own pace.

Any more suggestions?