ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 to 197 - who's done it?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Just read performance car. Better of getting a Trophy
"it's like the new car (197cup) needed to be at 10/10ths to provoke the same kind of reaction and feedback that the Trophy does at 7/10ths"
"The 197 has a better top-end, but it merely kept up with the Trophy rather than gaining"
"The 197cup really is a great car, but the Trophy is a brilliant one".

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Just read performance car. Better of getting a Trophy
"it's like the new car (197cup) needed to be at 10/10ths to provoke the same kind of reaction and feedback that the Trophy does at 7/10ths"
"The 197 has a better top-end, but it merely kept up with the Trophy rather than gaining"
"The 197cup really is a great car, but the Trophy is a brilliant one".

Bit unfair compairing the two at the monent. Its compairing a 197 Cup (mainstream car) to a focused limited edition. Would be better alongside the 182 Cup imo. Untill there is an Ultimate 197 edition (Trophy or similar) there is no answer ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
So true. The car on the 8yr old chassis has such an advantage!;);)
In all seriousness, IMO, the 197's problem is it's steering. Decent feelsome steering allows you to enjoy a car without going crazy speeds. When you don't have that, you have to push and push to get to the point where the chassis starts really working and gives you that feedback. If the 197 had better steering, 10% more torque, it would be great.

White clique
So true. The car on the 8yr old chassis has such an advantage!;);)
In all seriousness, IMO, the 197's problem is it's steering. Decent feelsome steering allows you to enjoy a car without going crazy speeds. When you don't have that, you have to push and push to get to the point where the chassis starts really working and gives you that feedback. If the 197 had better steering, 10% more torque, it would be great.

a 197 with cup pack and ECU re-map is the answer to all your prayers then! :D

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not the steering fella, IIRC the 197 uses the same hub set-up as the meg 225. Designed to eliminate torque steer, but the 197 has a lot less torque. It's why the steering has no feel.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Not true. It has no feel because its electric assisted steering. Has nothing to do with the hubs.
Nope, electric systems are coming along well. In the 225, the hub is isolated from the steering system (as I understand it), same for the 197. The extra torque and the lsd in the R26 give it good steering feel (I've been told/read), and thats the same electric system.

SLK 350
A remapped turbo Meg would be more thirsty, no question.

More thirsty or not, there's no point pretending any 'performance' car is going to return good MPG while being thrashed. I know even my 172 used to tell me it was giving 16MPG when opened up on a motorway foot-to-floor session.

Regardless it's a mute point. Neither are described as economical.

I like the 197s. Test drove one a few days ago. Nicer interior than the 182, and quieter to be in. Brakes were much better than what I remember of the 182s. Many people say the 197 is not as much of a driver's car anymore - I really don't care. Who actually drives their car at the limit on the road, to be able to make that observation anyway. If you do, you're going to get caught by the Police one day, and all driving fun will be over.

99.9% of the time, your car is a mode of transportation to get you from your house, to your work. Well it is for me.

I found the steering to be a little odd on the 197, but something like that takes about 4 seconds toget used to in the real world. The steering on the Focus RS is very good - quick rack, and gives plenty of feel.

I'd have a 197 for the car that it is. But like the 182s and 172s, its going to be depreciating like a house in Baghdad, just before George W Bush said the words.... "shock and awe". For this reason alone, I wouldnt have one.

I really liked the car though.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Is there any independant test's between the track times of all the Renault Sport Clio's?

Would be good to see what the difference was in all the times - going as far back as the Williams.

In a copy of Evo Mag, when they redesigned the circuit, they used a few of the "best cars". Two of them, were the new 197 Cup, and a 182 Trophy. The Trophy was quicker. Beaten by a JDM FD2 Civic Type-R IIRC

Suzuki Swift Sport
Ive done it the other way round - had an r27, now got a 182 with cup packs. I drive both though as my dads got an r27 too, they are quite different! the 197 is much nicer to live with, and more competent. I do feel however that the 182 is more involving, still would rather have my old r27 back though! :( hopefully will end up with a house soon instead!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Well after just giving my 197 a beating, i love it!!!! Banging through the gearbox (non of this long thrown nonsense), the brakes, the noise, the nice 'solid' feel of the car (no longer feels like my old Nova on the build side of things) the lovely small chunky steering wheel (non bus size and melting) the hugging seats and better driving position. Moved the game on, job done :) This place would have people keep their Mk2's for ever. Times change, some people should move with it ;)

Last edited:
  Cupra 300 ST 4drive
Like most people agree go for the R26 mate, after all its only a little bigger than the 197 with loads more clout

People seem to forget how lardy the 197 is! see below. They should have made the clio 220bhp turbo and upped the meg to 260bhp.

picture1116rj1.jpg

White clique
^^ the glass half full view on the above is that the 197 is just as big, but 130kg lighter, is cheaper and is better looking!

SLK 350
This place would have people keep their Mk2's for ever. Times change, some people should move with it ;)

Nobody here is saying that though Gaz, from the POV of buying into the Clio range either a 182 or a 197 would be an ideal starting point. Each model has it's own issues, and neither is the perfect car - but both are great in the scheme of things.

With that said, on the engine side of things you're stuck tuning wise wit very few low cost options, compared to for example a Meg.

If I were buying a Renault tomorrow it'd be an R26, done the Clio thing whilst it's a good car to own as a youngster it's not a car I'd want to drive on approaching 30 - saw an older guy in a 172 not long ago, and he just looked a t1t tbh.