ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 to 197 - who's done it?

Nimbus Grey 197
Have read a few threads and most people are all for the move, only thing i can see people have mentioned is the increased running costs?

Is it simply the petrol that you guys are referring to? If so i think i can handle that!

Currently have an arctic 182 and thinking of chopping in for a nimbus 197....

Thoughts please!!

Woza.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
R26 all the way (IMO). The 197's aren't bad cars, but the R26 is quicker, and gives similar fuel economy. Although Vee's are getting cheap..........

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I'd have an R27 over an R26...All day long.

I was VERY impressed with the R27 on track.

Last edited:
  Barge
i've just bought an R27. picked it up on monday. it's a gem of a car. extremely nippy and looks lush. i'd recommend it to anyone.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Been out in the R26? How did they compare?

Aye the previous year...I liked it...but as a hot hatch goes the R27 was impressive. (Little bit gutless tho - needed to be rev'd)

I'm sure the r26 is faster but i doubt i'd go for it.

White clique
I've done the upgrade, the running costs are not massively more despite the lower MPG, plus the 197 is a lower insurance group than the 182.

Saying you should get a megane instead of a 197 makes no sense, as they are not direct competitors, and are a completely different car, you can only compare 0-60 and top speed, after that it becomes irrelevant. Some people dont want a bigger car.

I am very happy with the upgrade, and wouldnt go back.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
I've done the upgrade, the running costs are not massively more despite the lower MPG, plus the 197 is a lower insurance group than the 182.

Saying you should get a megane instead of a 197 makes no sense, as they are not direct competitors, and are a completely different car, you can only compare 0-60 and top speed, after that it becomes irrelevant. Some people dont want a bigger car.

You can pick a mint R26 up for the Same price as an R27 2nd hand, it makes total sense insurance and running costs are virtually the same. As an everday car the R26 will be easier to live with with its midrange advantage. I am not on about top speed and all that bollox, I am in no way slating the R27 but the hard facts are the R26 is an easier car to live with and extract useable power with out revving the nuts off it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Fair enough, some good points, but at the same price point, they are obviously both options. I've not lived with or had chance to push either, but everything I've read has the R26 as the quicker, better performance car. You may not have considered the R26, fair enough.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Me. Came from a 172 Cup, then a 182, now a 197. Best move i ever made. If you like driving, then a 197 is for you. Sublime chassis, tight short throw gearbox, smooth high revving engine, and awesome brakes are perfect for a B road raping. The meggy imo could be boring to drive, turbo = dull. Had a turbo'd car before and its all over at 6k (probably 5 with the boost tailing off?) Give me near 8k rev limit (much better lump than the 182, less gruff higher up the rpm scale) The car is a major step up in fit/refinement over the MK2 also. If your not into major modding, they are spot on out of the box, sound just right imo, exhust has a nice sporty note :) Speed wise, pretty much identical to what you have now. Dont listed to the retards on here, most are still stuck in 2003 ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Me. Came from a 172 Cup, then a 182, now a 197. Best move i ever made. If you like driving, then a 197 is for you. Sublime chassis, tight short throw gearbox, smooth high revving engine, and awesome brakes are perfect for a B road raping. The meggy imo could be boring to drive, turbo = dull. Had a turbo'd car before and its all over at 6k (probably 5 with the boost tailing off?) Give me near 8k rev limit (much better lump than the 182, less gruff higher up the rpm scale) The car is a major step up in fit/refinement over the MK2 also. If your not into major modding, they are spot on out of the box, sound just right imo, exhust has a nice sporty note :) Speed wise, pretty much identical to what you have now. Dont listed to the retards on here, most are still stuck in 2003 ;)
Honestly fella, I've driven both a 197 and 225. The Meg engine hides the turbo so well, and it revs well. I really don't like turbo's (impreza's etc) but the light pressure turbo's (Golf GTi, Meg 225) don't feel anything like that. The fact that it feels so much more rapid is a bonus.

3 x Renaults + Lexus
Had a 172 and got a Meg RS driven R27/197 Cup and Clio V6 on the road and track so I have a pretty good idea.
The Meg RS Phase II is faster and more refined than the Clio 172/182 all day long but the Trophy is amazing.
The Meg vs 197 I would still say the Meg is faster and handles better but it’s very close they are both great drives. The 197 CUP vs R26 around the track there is little between them and same goes for back lane driving. But the Meg is better on motorways and bypasses than the 172/182/197.
The turbo is not boring in fact with a RSTuning remap and Forge intercooler you will get 270+BHP for under £1000 not that the standard is a slouch. The delivery of the power is better than the 197 and you can cross ground with greater ease and more speed in the Meg.
But if like the 182 you will love the 197 in white with cup pack is my choice. If you want more power and refinement get the Meg you get more for your money.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
lol at the R26 being boring to drive, funny how the R26 is the hardest hardcore hot hatch for the hot hatch generation, but hey what does every performanxe car mag know!!!!

3 x Renaults + Lexus
lol at the R26 being boring to drive, funny how the R26 is the hardest hardcore hot hatch for the hot hatch generation, but hey what does every performanxe car mag know!!!!

The Review in EVO this month is amazing it won and then got into the supercar section and still did so well, but thats the R26-R which is hardcore but still mixing it with the Lambo and Gt-R and I get to drive one soon...cant wait to see how quick with a remap...

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
The Review in EVO this month is amazing it won and then got into the supercar section and still did so well, but thats the R26-R which is hardcore but still mixing it with the Lambo and Gt-R and I get to drive one soon...cant wait to see how quick with a remap...

I subscribe also;)

R26
the R26 is anything but boring....had a 182 cupped, then drove the 197 round oulton park. Then drove the R26....Now have the R26. In respect to the revving part - I don't notice the turbo at all unless I have the window down but it sounds much beefier than my 182 ever did and it revs pretty high.

320d
I subscribe also;)

I realy should, buy it every month just havn't subscribed.

Whether you upgrade to an R26 or 197 then there will be a difference in refinement. The MK3 is much more refined in a similar way to the MK2 is more refined than MK1.

White clique
You can pick a mint R26 up for the Same price as an R27 2nd hand, it makes total sense insurance and running costs are virtually the same. As an everday car the R26 will be easier to live with with its midrange advantage. I am not on about top speed and all that bollox, I am in no way slating the R27 but the hard facts are the R26 is an easier car to live with and extract useable power with out revving the nuts off it.

I totally hear where you are coming from, dont get me wrong, the R26 is a fab car. My mate at work has one, 07 plate in black, 14k miles, he has been offered just 10.5k PX (which is actually a great price at the mo so i am lead to believe), and if i had kids etc i'd have had it straight off him. Plus i also agree that the R26 is going to offer more car for the money in terms of kit, power etc. But its not the car for me at the moment, and thats why i have stuck with the 197.

In the same way that i paid £13k for mine early this year, i could have instead have bought a used VX220, a Leon Cupra, an Audi S4, Lotus Elise, Subaru STI etc and all are faster, but none of those offer what i am looking for because they are just not the right size. For me, a 197 would be much easier to live with than a Megane R26.

Trophy 265/500
I'm keeping the Trophy for the foreseeable, but having had a pottle in a 197 full fat, an R26 and an R27, I'm afraid I'd go for the Meggy too...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
..... gheys ;) The 197 looks far more interesting. Meggy just has different front/rear bumpers. 197 shell is bespoke, nice flaired rear quarters, whole car is nicely pumped up. I'm with Alan on this, i'd take the 197 most times over the Meggy. Yes it can be remapped like mantioned above, but if MPG is of concern, a remap on a meggy with see sub 20's if hammered.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
..... gheys ;) The 197 looks far more interesting. Meggy just has different front/rear bumpers. 197 shell is bespoke, nice flaired rear quarters, whole car is nicely pumped up. I'm with Alan on this, i'd take the 197 most times over the Meggy. Yes it can be remapped like mantioned above, but if MPG is of concern, a remap on a meggy with see sub 20's if hammered.

Megane is more grown up... I do like both...and was impressed with both.

Wish the 197 had better fabric on the seats. piccy.

White clique
Not a great difference in size between the meg and the clio, 1mm difference in width, about 3cm length?

.... but still manages to be 130kgs heavier (1,690kg kerb weight on a standard clio 197, vs 1,820kg for the meg). The clio is a more agile car.

Turbo LY R27
I love the 197,i went from a 182 to an R27 id ive never looked back. Never driven a meg but i dont really think its the car for me, to big and i like the look of the clio to much.

Tbh i dont understand when people say about the 197 being down on power, mine is really strong, i think its a combination of 24k miles, itg filter and i got the cold start remap on it last week, which seems to make it feel a bit more urgent. Ive always thought the power is quite strong in the car, short gearing and loads of grunt. Love it. As ive said in other threads maybe im lucky with mine, i dunno. 182 is a great car and if i had to get a cheaper car that would be my first option no problem, but i wouldnt do it otherwise. Would like one as well to be fair like richardandgem, best of both!:D

SLK 350

Your point is? A 197 without a remap will see sub-20's when being hammered, the same for the 172/182, and for that matter most other similar cars.

Meg is a better car, no question.

What lets the Megane down is the styling, it looks dated now - it harks back to Renault were designing the Vel Satis and Avantime.
The Clio looks fresh, although saying that, it gets a facelift next year.

Turbo LY R27
^^^will the RS get a face lift? The 182 didnt really, just a spoiler, exhaust and 10bhp. Be interesting to see what they do?

I'd imagine so.. I have a feeling it'll be more like the Phase 1 to Phase 2 change on the Clio 2, rather than the mild facelifts that came later in the Phase 2 Clio 2 production cycle.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I really like the 197 and it is definately a step forward from a 182.

It is true a standard 225 doesn't feel like a turbo car. I found the power delievery a little boring with no kick, just smooth power all the way through.

Remap certainly changes that with a big kick of torque low down and much more pull top end.

The Clio and the Megane have a very similar chassis size, thats why the RenaultSport side skirts for the 197 can be fitted to the Megane.

But yeah the Megane is only about 100kgs heavier, so similar to a FF172 and a 172 Cup.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I really like the 197 and it is definately a step forward from a 182.

It is true a standard 225 doesn't feel like a turbo car. I found the power delievery a little boring with no kick, just smooth power all the way through.

Remap certainly changes that with a big kick of torque low down and much more pull top end.

The Clio and the Megane have a very similar chassis size, thats why the RenaultSport side skirts for the 197 can be fitted to the Megane.

But yeah the Megane is only about 100kgs heavier, so similar to a FF172 and a 172 Cup.

Hows that work, when the skirts of the 197 intergrate with the front arches? :S

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Your point is? A 197 without a remap will see sub-20's when being hammered, the same for the 172/182, and for that matter most other similar cars.

Meg is a better car, no question.

A remapped turbo Meg would be more thirsty, no question.