ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 to Ph1

After recently being made unemployed I'm not sure if I can afford to run my 182 anymore so have been starting to look for a cheaper alternative, was looking at a few civic coupes etc for a couple of hundred quid just to tide me over till things are looking a bit rosier. However I have just seen a cheap ph1, apparently with a problem with the gearbox diff bearing. Now I know there is some saying better the devil you know etc, but my car will need work soon which I feasibly cant see me affording anytime soon.

It comes with a " full exhaust system and chiped ecu, light weight model, very clean car", no mention of cambelt, fsh etc so I'm assuming there is a chance that it is a complete dog but I was thinking at least if I got one and change gearbox clutch etc it could be turned into a good option. What is everyone's experience with the ph1 anything to look out for that wouldnt be on a 182 etc.

Cheers for any help.

Do you own the 182 or is it on finance?

Either way.....

Just stick with the 182 ffs...

The amount of money you will lose is going to be alot more then just sticking with the 182

I own it, was just thinking of a change as well really, and kind of starting to like the look of the phase 1.

Not too keen on my own anymore its a BG and is a nightmare to keep clean.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
A Ph1 will need things doing too, most examples are getting tired in one way or another, and the ones that have had the suspension etc replaced will usually be kept as it's not cost effective to do that work and then sell.

Titanium 182
declare 182 sorn and hold onto it until your back on your feet? would be ashame to sell a car due to a temporary set back, good luck

Evo 5 RS
with cheap ph1s buy cheap and buy twice if not only in labour/parts... keep the 182 and hold on to it..

Should of just bought a ph1 in the first place, didn't anyone tell you they're better? ;)

Accord 2.4
I would keep the 182 until you get another job then you can look for something better

I lost my job sold my ST220 and day after I did I got another job

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Daft idea. You'll save nothing. You might get a grand in your bank between sales, but factor in a belt change or duff shocks or two new tyres and you'll wonder why you bothered.

You want a £100 diesel or a mk1 Ka if you want cheap motoring.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Daft idea. You'll save nothing. You might get a grand in your bank between sales, but factor in a belt change or duff shocks or two new tyres and you'll wonder why you bothered.

You want a £100 diesel or a mk1 Ka if you want cheap motoring.

this!! whilst im a student ive been driving my sisters T plate 1.3 KA,
£300 T&T and i never knew £10 petrol could go so far!!

ph1s are the same engine, just older.....therefore other than the money youll get from selling your 182, youre no better off!

perhaps lay the 182 up, and buy a cheap ph1 1.2, and even change some bits over from the 182 if you still want the luxury!!
and sit it out until you're back on your feet!! thatll give you something to look forward too and youll fall straight back in love with the 182 when you get it back!! :)