ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 to V6

MINI JCW
I have had my 182 a year now and love it too bits but like all car enthuiasts Im always looking at other cars.

Over the last few weeks I have took a huge liking to the V6 (255 verison)

What I want to know is the people who have taken this move whether they think its worth it or not, why you did it? what are the major differences, i.e performance, insurance, running cost etc

Your help is appreciated

Thanks

Renault ChaVio
I've not long had mine. Didn't come from a 182 (I was driving a Lotus). I am absolutely thrilled with it. If you do it you will pay a lot more to run it – the servicing is similar but stuff like tyres, brake pads, fuel and insurance are all in line with a group 20 car.

Performance wise I keep hearing that a 182 isn't much slower. I don't know as I haven't driven one. Get down to a dealer and try and rag the nuts off one on a test drive – you'll know if it is for you.

An orange one
went to a v6 from my 172 cup, basically i got a go in a mates 255 and i absolutely adored it from the moment i turned the key, from that moment on, as much as i loved the cup, it wasnt going to give me that "im driving somethng special" feeling.
so 8 months later i did the deal on a mk1 v6, love it to bits, never regretted it for a day, yes the monthly payments are higher and insurance is savage at 20 years old..but IMHO its worth it,

ive said this before and i'll say it again, go for a drive in a v6, mk1 or 2, and you'll know if you want one within about 30 seconds, its really that simple,

if you fully aprreciate driving a bonkers looking clio, with a v6 sounding gorgeous behind you, and a driving experience you can master, you wont be able to wait to go back and sign the line, :)

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
20 with a V6 ... whats ur insurance like mate ??
oh and id just like to add your 1 day out from being 1 year older than me exactly ;)

172 phaseII
currently have a 172 at 19, my mums planning to buy mine then ill get a v6 255, by 21. done a few quotes which are pushing me that way!

An orange one
£2540 with zenith, only company that would touch me before 21, but this isnt really the case cause it only applies as of november 2005 till march 06..

as im april 2006 when im 21, i can get it for £1700 with bell direct, in my own name

Never driven a V6, but if I was offered one I'd take it over a 182 anyday even thou the 182 is meant to be faster on the track! However, the immense road presence and great looks of the car, plus engine note would probably make up for that.

E91 M Sport
I'd do it (even thought I went the other way mk1 V6 --> 182), not because one car is faster, better handling, better noise, etc (whichever that may be) but because the V6 is a legend.

MINI JCW
What sort of mpg does the V6 get? I think Im going to have to have a test drive, a good look at my finances and then if i fancy it then its down to persuading the missus!

PS is the V6 much wider, My 182 fits in the garage and i was wondering if the V6 would be a problem?

E91 M Sport
gazcaddy said:
What sort of mpg does the V6 get? I think Im going to have to have a test drive, a good look at my finances and then if i fancy it then its down to persuading the missus!

If you have to ask.....lol

I got around 23-25mpg from mine - mainly non-motorway

gazcaddy said:
PS is the V6 much wider, My 182 fits in the garage and i was wondering if the V6 would be a problem?

Its not a massive amount wider in reality, but if its a squeeze now, then it won't get any better. And the doors are thick.....

An orange one
v6 is only as wide as its door mirrors..so only difference you will notice is, in garages you wont be able to open the door as far, plus the sills are mahoosive..all your mates WILL try and kick them off getting in an out..lol

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
I went from a 172 Mk1 to a V6 255.

I loved my 172 ... was a great car and great fun to drive. Indeed I missed it for the 12 hours between selling it and getting the Vee.

I love my Vee much, much more tho'. Every trip in the Vee feels like a special event ... it's a unique driving experience ... feel, sound, looks. Given those looks it draws a lot of positive attention from people where ever you go which adds to the experience. And despite people saying it's not "much" faster than a 172/182, it is damn potent, tho' it does it very smoothly and so it doesn't always feel mad (well apart from the engine screaming behind your head ;)). Since it's got lots of torque the delivery is pretty linear so you don't get the 5krpm shove you do in a 172/182 ... it just pulls smoothly top to bottom. I reckon that less than 5.5 to 60 (on the single occasion I timed it with a camera) and the ability to keep the acceleration up thereafter makes it pretty special :D.

Oh and about 23MPG since I switched to Tesco 99RON.

MK2 Clio V6 255
Bout 18mpg on a good day, then again depends how you drive it. Its hard not to drive it fast just for the thrill.

v6,s hate to be driven slow, its a hard car to drive slow theres nothing better than that engine roaring behind you, for a full on buzz i recommend removing the engine cover and driving it up the road, sounds lush, definetely a windows down job tho gets fookin hot :D

You wont be dissapointed with a v6, ive hhad mine nearly a year and love it as much now as when i first bought it.

Clio 172 mk2
ColinG said:
£2540 with zenith, only company that would touch me before 21, but this isnt really the case cause it only applies as of november 2005 till march 06..

as im april 2006 when im 21, i can get it for £1700 with bell direct, in my own name

That's absolutely nuts... I could never justify paying that on insurance, I thought £700 for my WRX was bad!

Still, if the car brings you lots of fun etc then good on you.:D

Renault ChaVio
mk1s start at about £11k. mk2s £15k
there is a new yellow one on autotrader for £29k which seems a bit optimistic

Ford Fiesta
ant_v6 said:
mk1s start at about £11k. mk2s £15k
there is a new yellow one on autotrader for £29k which seems a bit optimistic

id have it if lottery numbers came up... ;)

Atlantis Blue 1.2 Corsa B
Neil G said:
That's absolutely nuts... I could never justify paying that on insurance, I thought £700 for my WRX was bad!

Still, if the car brings you lots of fun etc then good on you.:D

try paying 1600 tpO! on a 1.1 fiesta first year of insurance, then jumping to 1800 tpft for a clio RT!

thats harsh!

insignia
I thought the v6 was a lovely car to drive and agree it is an event everytime you go out on one.But you get more of this feeling when you drive out in a subaru STI or Mitsubishi Evo,these bring the best sense of occasion and for driving cars the clio cant match them.but then again the clio are rare,different and look great.

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
i want to talk my boss into buying V6 to store away in his garage, as they have stopped making them now havent they? surely this means a perfect one with low miles that gets stored away for a few years will go up? plus i get to see it daily that way!! hehe, love the V6 look!

Edit - on the subject of insurance, didnt anyone ever do the '3rd party on other cars' for their first car? i did for a year until norwich union stopped it, had some pretty serious cars i would otherwise never insure at 17!! thats all stopped now, but im under a traders policy so all is well. was paying £130 a month earlier in the year and it annoyed me but i paid it all the same

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
they have stopped it all now, you should get him to check his policy, they are even removing it for people over 21 as it means the police cant easily track down uninsured drivers! accidently put my mi16 in my name when i bought it, then i rolled it/it rolled itself and the police went mental! it was 'my mums car' though so they had to leave it out! worried for a minute though! norwich union never told me they changed the policy, so i drove round uninsured for 2 months last year because they took the 'other peoples car' thing away!

MINI JCW
182 sport said:
I thought the v6 was a lovely car to drive and agree it is an event everytime you go out on one.But you get more of this feeling when you drive out in a subaru STI or Mitsubishi Evo,these bring the best sense of occasion and for driving cars the clio cant match them.but then again the clio are rare,different and look great.

I think you have summed up what i am thinking, i love the way the V6 looks and although i have yet to drive one from what i have read and heard they are supposed to be fantastic to drive with a great soundtrack from that V6

The problem for me and the thing that is giving me doubts, is that the paper stats dont seem to put it that far ahead of my 182, (v6 couple of secs faster to 100) and i question whether it is worth swapping. Subaru and Evo are faster but I just dont like them so they are not an option. On the other hand though 17k for a focus RS, Golf R32, Audi S3 and all of a sudden the V6 looks good value

I think I am going to have to have a good think about it, as I dont want to rush into anything and then regret it later on. Looks like its one of two choices keep the 182 or swap it for a V6!

Renault ChaVio
I know the Scoobys and Evos are a lot faster than the Vee but they just don't float my boat. Almost anyone can drive one of those cars fast but it takes skill to get the best from a Clio V6 – and you don't see them everywhere you go.

MINI JCW
ant_v6 said:
I know the Scoobys and Evos are a lot faster than the Vee but they just don't float my boat. Almost anyone can drive one of those cars fast but it takes skill to get the best from a Clio V6 – and you don't see them everywhere you go.

Just been looking in Autocar and the STI is about 1.6 secs faster to 100 than the V6 255 and 0.7 faster to 60 but the V6 has a slightly higher power to weight ratio and theres not much in torque

So i assume this is down to gearing, traction and aerodynamics

182... again!
Couple of thoughts...V6 is a very unusual and exclusive sight! Impractical though if you need rear seats or boot space!!

Renault ChaVio
An STI? Do you mean an infection in the 'toilet areas'?
sti-malearea_e.jpg

Renault ChaVio
I'd rather trade my boot, rear seats and some meaningless figures from the back of a car magazine that I might look at when I'm doing a s**t for a mid-engined car more rare than a Ferrari.
renault_clio_v6.jpg