ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 trophy performance mods

RX8 231 ps (modified)
Hi,

I am looking in to getting a trophy 182 and wandered what mods there are in terms of re-maps, intakes etc to boost BHP.

I appreciate it is not a turbo charged car so gains will not be as high, but was wandering how much £££££ You spend for what gains.

Cheers

Stu

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Im not an expert but as they haven’t posted yet from what I’ve read in the past on here

for 25bhp gain ish the most popular mods are throttle bodies or a turbo, all costing about £2k-3K ish

for a 15bhp gain most do Cams, matched inlets and a remap costing about 1.5-2K

for a 10bhp gain an enclosed induction kit (such as IGT Moxogon), full S.S exhaust system and a remap. Costing about a grand.

Best way for performance to to lighten the car really.

A ANIMAL
Might wanna try the RS Tuner Pro (home re-map - do a search) - really good for the money and people really rate it. I will be looking into it next month - also a new exhaust and an ITG panel filter. I would guess these are probably the best on a budget. If your rich try cams and throttle bodys but your talking big money by this point.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Inlets won't make much of a difference on the Trophy IIRC, they all have the RS stamped inlet (I think). Brakes would be the first port of call (brembo discs, ferodo ds2500 pads, braided lines). Performance wise, maxogen, exhaust, remap. In all honesty they're so quick in the bends that straight line performance becomes less of an issue the longer you have the car. To give you an idea, went out with an AMV8 a couple of weeks ago, it couldn't stay with me in the corners (obviously a fair bit quicker in a straight line!)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
IMO Throttle Bodies are a bit OTT. Seen plenty people get ITB's, then a couple of months later they're off the car or for sale, economy takes quite a hit.

RX8 231 ps (modified)
Im not an expert but as they haven’t posted yet from what I’ve read in the past on here

for 25bhp gain ish the most popular mods are throttle bodies or a turbo, all costing about £2k-3K ish

for a 15bhp gain most do Cams, matched inlets and a remap costing about 1.5-2K

for a 10bhp gain an enclosed induction kit (such as IGT Moxogon), full S.S exhaust system and a remap. Costing about a grand.

Best way for performance to to lighten the car really.

Really!!!! Rempas are claiming 195 PS so approx 192 BHP so that is 10BHP for £290 ish. I am just looking to break the 200 BHP threshhold...mental thing i think! Will get it and see how it goes and look at mod option from there i guess. defo dont want to be spending £KKK:(

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP

Its possible but from what I’ve read in the past about people who’s had remaps they get abut 5-7 bhp at the end.

The trophy is a fantastic car, EVO mag think it’s the bee’s knees but if you want straight line speed and coming from a turbo car you may want to look at something like the SEAT Ibiza cupra (1.8 20V about 180bhp) as being a turbo gains are easily achieved with a lot less money.

They don’t handle as well as a standard 182 so a trophy would really run rings around it though and aren’t as exclusive at the trophy

VRS
all 182/172's follow the same line of tuning so no need to specifically look at trophy tuning

theres lots of options, and plenty of info on here

here are some ideas:

decat (miltek,yozza,prospeed,gdi) around £50-100 frees the revs and maybe a couple of bhp

exhaust (btb,yozzasport,prospeed,h&s,gdi,janspeed,milltek) around 300-600, free the revs and maybe 3bhp

inlet manifold match to increase airflow (hilpower,angelworks) around 250 and can give gains from 3-15bhp depending on how bad the old casting was

airfilter and cold air feed (simota, maxogen, hillpower) between 150-400 and frees revs, gives a couple of bhp

remap (k-tec, rstuning, rstuner) around 5 ish bhp and extra torque, smooths power delivery and can increase limiter costs between 200-400

the next step is to look at cams which will be around 1000 pound fitted, these will give more torque and around 5ish bhp

if you have more cash then throttle bodies will give you around 220bhp or a turbo conversion will give more but these 2 are where the serious money comes in

the best thing after light engine mods would be to upgrade you discs to something like brembo high carbon, pads to ferrodo ds2500 stainless lines and dot 5 fluid

the suspension is bob on with the trophy so no real need to mess with it

andy

VRS
just as a benchmark figure as well, my 182 has a yozza decat, btb exhaust, itg maxogen air filter, angelworks inlets, rstuning remap

it was rolling roaded at 195bhp

the above mods with cams should see you just get 200

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I have the Yozzasport exhaust & Maxogen, unlike what many will tell you.

There is a big difference to standard, but what do i know i only have it fitted to my car:quiet:

Brakes is your first mod on any trophy, then you really can do some demon late braking.

RX8 231 ps (modified)
Ok then, looks like de-cat, remap and filter with cold inlet, so hopefully approx 195 BHP. Any MOT issued with de-cat?

Cheers for all the responses...

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Beware with decat may invalidate your insurance, i'm with Greenlight.

They allow trackdays & mods but not decats.

RX8 231 ps (modified)
thought that may be the case, defo want a map done...think maybe with a manifold and go from there.

I suppose the question is if you have 500-600 to spend what would you get???

VRS
a decat isnt illegal, but failing your emmisions is, if you pass your emissions test and have an mot then the car can be insured

there are loopholes but should be taken at your own risk

VRS
200 quid on a set of high carbon disks, stainless lines dot 5 fluid and ds2500 pads

a yozza exhaust for 380

thats where i would start

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Front pads, disc's, lines and alignment are a definate, decent exhaust and the Maxogen (although the reno unit is good, maybe just loose the acoustic valve) a live remap (do not bother with one of the off the shelf flash maps, they are not worth the money) Warren was right when he said that the trophy has the RS inlet but there is still quite a lot of cleaning up that can be done in there so is just about worth doing.
The real bummer is that these mods will only take it up to what it was always supposed to be, about 180-185 maybe.

RX8 231 ps (modified)
even with the re-map. The K-tec racing claims 195PS with just the map so approx 190BHP??? Surely that and a exhaust and a maxogen would be 190BHP at least! Spending 1k ish for 8BHP or so...ummmmcrazy!

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Yeah but you have to remember that in the real world they were never 182.

And now i'm off to my shelter.

RX8 231 ps (modified)
Yeah they were 182 Ps not BHP so approx 179BHP ish??? so map and exhaust...flogging a dead horse here i think. Probably just best to do the mods then RR and see what happens and hope for the best!

cock mobile.
even with the re-map. The K-tec racing claims 195PS with just the map so approx 190BHP??? Surely that and a exhaust and a maxogen would be 190BHP at least! Spending 1k ish for 8BHP or so...ummmmcrazy!

Yer remember they are quite highly tuned anyway.

Not all about peak power as well, it's about getting more power further across the rev range imo, that ultimately relates to a quicker car all round.

Or spend it on brakes or suspension as mentioned to again result in a quicker car all round.

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Before and after on the same RR would be a better bet, then you can see what they've added.
And 179 is still very generous, more like 170.

Owen

ClioSport Admin
As Julzh said, having seen a few RR printouts posted up on here and the experiences of a few tuners, it seems dubious as to whether the RS had 182PS/170 whatever BHP when it left the factory.
So, chasing 200BHP headline figure is going to be costly.

Personally I would upgrade the brakes, maybe some light breathing mods and enjoy it for what it is - a class leading hot hatch in terms of handling, just not the most powerful.

RX8 231 ps (modified)
As Julzh said, having seen a few RR printouts posted up on here and the experiences of a few tuners, it seems dubious as to whether the RS had 182PS/170 whatever BHP when it left the factory.
So, chasing 200BHP headline figure is going to be costly.

Personally I would upgrade the brakes, maybe some light breathing mods and enjoy it for what it is - a class leading hot hatch in terms of handling, just not the most powerful.

Hmmmmm true. I defo want to change the exhaust. A lot of you are saying the brakes, i was under the impression they were great as standard?

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
The Brakes on the trophy have been discussed loads over on CT just recently so it's worth a look over there.
Recently had some work done that involved fitting pagid blue, brembo discs, lines, fluid, solid top mounts, alignment and camber and the car is totally transformed.

Strange this, I've never had any problems with my brakes, in fact I think they're great as they and do the job perfectly well on my jaunts on my fav country roads, no fade experienced. This is reflected in numerous reviews in Evo, Autocar, Car, TopGear etc. In fact in Autocar a 172 (same brakes as 182) clocked 3.99 secs 100-0 in their 0-100-0 challenge, a time only bettered by the likes of Porsche. This is not to say you shouldn't upgrade to higher quality parts.

RX8 231 ps (modified)
that is what i read so was suprised when people started saying they would upgrade them as the first mod!!

^^ me too, my understanding is that they have a progressive braking setup unlike the normal Clios.

Many people have commented on the brakes of 1.2's being better than the 182's. However I believe they are designed to keep as much speed as possible by just touching the brakes. I think the Clio Cups have a similar setup?

Therefore I'd stick with Renault's brakes as they are well up to the job as long as they are in good condition ofcourse.

I also think the Trophy only really needs some Silvatecs/Silvervisions and some better H7 lights to make it complete. And perhaps a louder exhaust if that's what you prefer.

RX8 231 ps (modified)
Someone at some point has mentioned to me that the standard exhaust rots and is not mounted that well?

I would definately get an exhaust, remap and prob an intake and stop there. That is pretty much waht i do to all my cars as a minimum.

Renault have built up good reputation as a hard core hot hatch over the years with its different incarnations of the Renaultsport Clio would never tarnish that reputation by using items that aren't up to the intended task.

There is little power to be gained TBH with exhaust and intake on their own, but together with a remap may gain a few more bhp. This is how far my mods extend and happy with the results. I don't intend any further mods.

A ANIMAL
Renault have built up good reputation as a hard core hot hatch over the years with its different incarnations of the Renaultsport Clio would never tarnish that reputation by using items that aren't up to the intended task.

There is little power to be gained TBH with exhaust and intake on their own, but together with a remap may gain a few more bhp. This is how far my mods extend and happy with the results. I don't intend any further mods.

Amen my brother :hail:

RX8 231 ps (modified)

That is all i would want to do, which exhaust and map is the best to go for, there seem to be a few out there the k-tecnic seems to be the maop and the jozzasport seems to be the exhaust with maxogen as well.

What are your thoughts with the brakes?

VRS
loving all the trophy lovers banter :D

renault do make classic hot hatches, but being french they are poorly built and finished, at the end of the day those of us who buy renault know that we are getting a lot of spec at a low price and therefore are going to lose out somewhere, that is generally the quality

we learn to live with the orange peel paint work, the rattles and bits breaking and falling off, put it to the back of our mind whilst we are having fun on the twisty a and b roads :D

theres lots that can be done to tweak the cars, at the end of the day renault built the cars on a budget with regulations to adhere to

the exhausts rot really easily and tend to fall off after 18months or so, so thats a deffo for replacement

the brakes are good yes, but give them some abuse and they will fade

light engine mods improve the power across the full rev range

the best thing to do is read the forum, search for mods and see what takes your fancy, there are hundreds of 172/182/trophies at different stages of tune on here, it just depends what you fancy :D

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I think modding cars is great and all that but to be honest mate, Naturally asspirated cars are a nightmare to get gains from without spending copious amounts of cash.

Without sounding too half empty, there is no substitue for cubic capacity.

Should have bought a turbo of some shape or form...

That is all i would want to do, which exhaust and map is the best to go for, there seem to be a few out there the k-tecnic seems to be the maop and the jozzasport seems to be the exhaust with maxogen as well.

What are your thoughts with the brakes?

The quality of the components and engineering are there where it matters most, the seats, the suspension, the brakes, the engine. IMO, unless you're a track day junkie I think the standard brake setup is more than adequate, I've experienced no fade or any braking issues on my back road jaunts. In fact my pads will need replacing soon and plan to replace them with the standard Renault items. Besides I hear quite a few stories with people experiencing brake squeal when using other pads which I'm not too keen on.

The standard exhaust does the job and is a 2.25" bore exhaust and rather heavy. IMO gains from the exhaust are very marginal and should base your criteria more on sound rather than power as that is what you'll notice most. I went for a Scorpion RS192 as I wanted something subtle and not too in your face plus its 6KG lighter than standard. Yozzasport, BTB, Milltek, etc offer a louder systems if thats your thing.

The same will apply for induction systems. I decided to modify the standard airbox since it's virtually free. I removed the acoustic valve and since I already had some spare flexible alloy induction hoses, used them to replace the squashed fluffy fabric hoses that come standard. When I had it remapped on a RR recently the guy removed the airbox to see how restrictive this setup would be. With no airbox, it gained 1bhp! so I'm happy with the modded airbox, plus prefer it to look standard.

My car already came with a Unichip piggyback device. So I decided to have it setup with my exhaust and airbox. The original map was poorly setup and was overfuelling especially at full throttle. With the correct fueling sorted it gained a further 8bhp to put out 183bhp and 149lb/ft. I have no idea what it made prior to the Unichip.

There are plenty of people that do remaps and all claim to give around similar sort power, but charge different prices. If it were not for the Unichip I would have gone for a RSTuner as that allows you to have the car mapped specifically to car and, I think, to your driving style to a degree through a device you plug into your car via a laptop. I like versitility and to tinker and this device will allow you to create power graphs and analyse data from the car's ECU.

Heres a short vid of my car with its current mods:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUkaig4E9i4

RX8 231 ps (modified)
cheers for all the info guys, really appreciated. I realise exhausts provide little gain but as mentioned is sound i am after really. Did a cat back and high flow sport cat on my current car and sounds great with a tad extra BHP.

All the reports suggest the brakes are up to the job. I will do a few track days but am not a track day mentalist!

As always a fair amount of research will be needed but thats all the fun!

Car sounds good mate...nice one.