ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 v WRX

insignia

My mates standard seat leon is as quick if not than a standard wrx as he showed me last night,so 182 is gonna be there.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Well said martynh........Also what about turbo cars that dont run correctly...Theres more chance of a scoob not running right with lack of a tune than a standard n/a car.....I raced a green "r" reg scoob turbo in my 172 and was all over it,it was pouring crap out of the exhaust and it was slow...Maybe the turbo was dead ,who knows.

All im saying is that not every wrx turbo is doing what it says on the tin from day 1 till present day,they can fall off the boost and as many will know they are not all kept by enthusiasts

ian

MKIII 138

so many factors involved. i have kept with a 225 scoob estate to !20mph from 30mph in my 172 (lighter wheels, sounddedening gone + panel filter) so really quite a standard car. to be fair ive always thought my 172 was a fast one and there was nothing in it to !20 at which point i decided to leave it as i dont travel that fast for long. on corners i lifted of a bit as i had my GF in the car and didnt want to kill myself racing around like a tw*t but the fact is fully caining a 182cup i would imagine a 225ps wrx would be troubled and at cornering the wrx 04 plate i test drove was less involving for a start with overassisted steering in short although i never pushed it i dont feel the wrx is as fast in the corners and by some margin on very tight corners. the wrx rolled quite a bit ( i do have konis on mine though).

i was amazed though how easy it was to access the wrxs power and flooring it out of a junction the noise the pickup and lack of torque steer or wheel spin was a whole new experience to me. problem is that could get a bit boring after a while i like wrestling with the clio.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

I honestly think my Willy can corner faster than my WRX in the dry,the rear used to step out on the Subaru,where the clio will screech tyres and lift its inside wheel.

My time at ringwood oval race circuit is .5 of a sec quicker in the clio than it was in the Skoob,power counts for nothing there though.(1/4 mile oval)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Auotocar tested the new scoob against the new cup i think a couple of months back and the clio won around the twisty track they had.I think that was an estate but its still 4wd

ian

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

had a few dos with wrxs.

one of them i pulled 1/2 car length from about 40-!20 ish. (landed car right on the 5k mark in 2nd when starting - otherwise wrx probably would have pulled on me).

one of them pulled a good car length on me (similar speed above).

one of them pulled away from me a good few lengths !! (similar speed above)

im sure all were standard 225 uk jobbies.

replaced air filter now and feels more responsive + one of the back tyres was down to 21 psi !! so that wont have helped i guess.

a big power Scoob is gonna beat any Clio, unless heavily modded. End of. Standard ones and lower models tho are fair game. I can stick to my pals alleged 250bhp classic down the road and have it on video. I start to pull in 4th too, so not the fastest car in the world like some believe, but get a non basic model and you need a seriously modded Clio to even see it... obviously people like j3ned, Nick and Clean16v will be having no problems, but we are talking cars with almost the same power as the STIs... thats a fairer race surely, same power etc...? if we are comparing STIs to boggo 182s that is.

Quote: Originally posted by TB11 on 30 March 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 29 March 2005Quote: Originally posted by TB11 on 29 March 2005Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 29 March 2005 Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 29 March 2005 I recall you sayingthere is no difference between a 182 and an Sti 30-100.An sti does 100 in a tad over 12 secs! Your car at best does it in 17secs.I think thats a hell of a gap in performance! Your mates a gimp if he cant leave your 182. Nothing to do with the car!<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">Not unless hes exaggerating his power output?[/QUOTE]
Id love a wee play with the new age STi 30-100:D Help yourself ;)will make you look small and pathetic in the rear view mirror (and i dont have to remove everything from my car do do so :D)[/QUOTE]

[Edited by TB11 on 29 March 2005 at 6:59pm]
[/QUOTE]
Find me a standard STi new style and ill push it up the road 30-100. :D

[/QUOTE]My car is standard ;)There are no exhaust mods except for a like for like back box and an STi panel filter, it is running standard boost on the original ecu, standard tyres and brakes, what more do you want ;)Oh and capable of 0-100 in about 11.5 so 30-100 wont make much difference :D Tony

Are we supposed to be impressed?

Remapped derv Golf

Whats a Spec C like compared to a Zero Fighter or Extreme SC?

Not not a big Scooby fan as you know.

Although I know enough to know a WRX is faster than a 182 - even the god awful bug eye one is in most areas.

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 30 March 2005

a big power Scoob is gonna beat any Clio, unless heavily modded. End of. Standard ones and lower models tho are fair game. I can stick to my pals alleged 250bhp classic down the road and have it on video. I start to pull in 4th too, so not the fastest car in the world like some believe, but get a non basic model and you need a seriously modded Clio to even see it... obviously people like j3ned, Nick and Clean16v will be having no problems, but we are talking cars with almost the same power as the STIs... thats a fairer race surely, same power etc...? if we are comparing STIs to boggo 182s that is.

Not tryna stir anything up here m8 dude as you know i wouldnt but Si testifies that he was not flat out at that time on the video m8, and we both know that si dont lie, hes certainly a tad off his box but deffo not a holy friar, so kind of an unfair comparison there fella.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 30 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by TB11 on 30 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 29 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by TB11 on 29 March 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 29 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 29 March 2005

I recall you saying

there is no difference between a 182 and an Sti 30-100.

An sti does 100 in a tad over 12 secs! Your car at best does it in 17secs.

I think thats a hell of a gap in performance!

Your mates a gimp if he cant leave your 182. Nothing to do with the car!

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">Not unless hes exaggerating his power output?

Id love a wee play with the new age STi 30-100:D

Help yourself ;)

will make you look small and pathetic in the rear view mirror (and i dont have to remove everything from my car do do so :D)

[Edited by TB11 on 29 March 2005 at 6:59pm]

Find me a standard STi new style and ill push it up the road 30-100. :D
My car is standard ;)

There are no exhaust mods except for a like for like back box and an STi panel filter, it is running standard boost on the original ecu, standard tyres and brakes, what more do you want ;)

Oh and capable of 0-100 in about 11.5 so 30-100 wont make much difference :D

Tony

Are we supposed to be impressed?

Well mine is in the region of 12.3s to 100 and he does pretty well until 80-90 from a rolling start.

Dont think he would be a dot, more a slightly distant annoyance.

Clio 172PH2

Lets put it this way a 225 bhp scooby older shape tried racing me and couldnt pass me he was about a car length and a half behind me on the wrong side of the road....they are so over-rated.

on 3 occasions he tried to pass but didnt have the power.Theres nothing in it, had it been him in front me behind i probably would have been in the same situation and unable to pass.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

Quote: Originally posted by roadrunner_182 on 30 March 2005

Lets put it this way a 225 bhp scooby older shape tried racing me and couldnt pass me he was about a car length and a half behind me on the wrong side of the road....they are so over-rated.

on 3 occasions he tried to pass but didnt have the power.Theres nothing in it, had it been him in front me behind i probably would have been in the same situation and unable to pass.

Good answer& thats wot the original question was about in the first place on this thread!But if people wanna drift off........

My clio is a better car than my Subaru imo.lol

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

wow 4 pages. lol. im not suprised tho, all good banter, but i could only be arsed to read the 1st page! :D

IMO the new shape WRX are pretty poor considering! 225bhp in 1400kg(ish) and 4x4 isnt going to be that impressive once rolling. Same with the UK classics. 212bhp in a 1300kg 4x4 aint owt special IMO! obviously they have the advantage off the mark tho with the traction!

as with all scoobies, evos, pulsars, etc, they all have good power and torque, but bhp@wheels with extra transmission losses, and extra weight all make a big difference compared to a 1ton FWD 180bhp clio.

i once let a bugeye uk wrx try to overtake me in the old banana on the motorway sliproad and booted it as soon as i saw him pull out and start to come past. (as i knew he was up for it) Suddenly it went from him coming past to both going the same speed, to him going backwards. :devilish:

Ill be honest and say that the 182 I raced 2 weeks prior gave me more of a challenge so i cant see why yours shouldnt beat the wrx once moving mate! My mates mk1 172 (which is a fast un) has also beat bugeye wrxs iv seen it with my own eyes!

just be warey of the imported and modded classics, and dont race em off the lights ;)

Up until last November I drove an Audi S2. For those who dont know its a 2.2litre turbo charged 4 wheel drive sleeper (mine was an estate). It had 290BHP and would hit 60 in mid 5 secs.

Im now driving a cupped 182 and the Clio is faster at low speeds and the S2 was faster at high speeds (over 90). In between there is very little in it. Turbo cars have to be driven differently. You dont get the instant hit that a NA car will give you. The Clio in 2nd gear is awesome and instantanious. My S2 in 2nd would think about it for half a second and then go. In that half second, the Clio would be out and overtaking!

I would think that a standard 182 would probably match a standard WRX until they got to high speed, then the superior power and torque would push the scooby on a little bit further. But in the real world, how often do you get the chance to race someone from zero up to 150mph?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

For my 10p worth.....

Borrowed a WRX for a day. Mid range, it would stonk my 182. Once the 182 is up to speed, maybe theres no much in it. Real world scenarios - motorway sliproads, overtaking, etc, I think the WRX would be in front.

Both cars (imo) are severely hampered by 5 gears. They really need 6.

D.

Im with the majority on this one, the 182 from a a rolling start will be neck and neck with a wrx or classic uk scooby(215). Thats going by numerous encounters on my private runway.

I agree with darren they need a 6 speed box.