ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 vs 182 cup

Me at exactly 89kgs in a 172 cup with a full tank versus a friend weighing 60kgs in a 172 with an empty tank would be remarkably similar in weight, In fact I could only prey they hadnt removed their spare as well or id be a spec in their rear view mirror!!

No I really drive a std 172 but test drove a cup before I bought mine, I went for mine because It was better condition, the only other reason was that I found the suspension a little to hard on the cup.

Having said that I travel 50 miles to work and back on dual carriageway, if I could take a direct route along b roads I probably would have chosen the cup for 1. the suspension and 2. the colour

pmsl I love this arguement, its never going to end!

Ive overtaken 172 cups and 182s on track in my 172, as Loony says is all down to the driver, Im not saying Im the worlds best or anything like that however Im alot more commited than a lot of owners would be and have had a lot of experience on track.

Theres no way with all things being equal eg cars totally standard, same level of fuel, same weight of driver + baggage, driver ability that you would ever pass one with ease, theres simply not enough in it.

Quote: Originally posted by rsclio.172cup on 21 February 2005

The real benefit of a Cup is in your wallet.

Isnt that a worthwhile advantage?

I live in Dubai so there are no twisty, windy, long roads to drive and mind the comfort-less cup interior. I will be only using the car for home-work-home trips and of course the weekly auto-x rounds where 20kg make a difference

I have enough comfort at home. a car should not be built with the comfort in mind

Thank you all for your answers

MKIII 138

so why the hell have people on this forum lost thousands when purchasing new 172s and now swapped their 172 for a 182 which they will lose thousands on ???? there all so simular.. however 182cup can do 6.3 to 60 and the 172 does 7.1 not much diffo.

Focus ST3

This topic is worth it for the laugh.

Everyone who gets upset about which is better - Is that extra blood pressure, anger and stress worth it!

All the clios are the same and more than likely the next generation will be very similar. I cant wait to hear the future clio cup vs future clio with CC agruments!

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 22 February 2005

so why the hell have people on this forum lost thousands when purchasing new 172s and now swapped their 172 for a 182 which they will lose thousands on ???? there all so simular.. however 182cup can do 6.3 to 60 and the 172 does 7.1 not much diffo.
i swapped from a 172cup, to a 182 normal, i didnt really loose anything money wise, in fact i broke even as the cup was do for its first service, so im happy, and the 182 deffo feels faster than the cup (IMHO).

were did you get the figure for the 182 cup 0-60 time ???, as the time your quoting was for the cupped 182

fat 182

QUOTE EVO THE KNOWLEDGE

0-60 0-100

172 7.1 18.9

172CUP 6.5 17.7

182 6.6 17.5

182 CUP 6.5 _

NOW SHUT UP ALL OF YOU :D

[Edited by dazraffan on 22 February 2005 at 6:54pm]

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

This is so boaring now!!! I was following pete the other day, (he has the "fat" 172 i have the cup ) and we wasnt really going 100% all in all, but on the straights there isnt even a mm in it ffs! lol They are the same car

IIRC the 172cup saved weight by more than just taking away some expensive options (wasn’t the windscreen thinner?). But surely the biggest selling point (beyond the weight savings) for the 172cup was the wider track, stiffer suspension etc. As this is an option on the 182 IMO the 182cup doesn’t have the same advantage over the 182 as the 172cup did over the 172.

Two reasons to buy a 182cup:
If you’re going to strip it outIf you want to save a few pennies – I know you can get deals, but it is cheaper
I spend a fair bit of time in my car. I want a bit of comfort. All the goodies on the 182 are ace, especially auto xenons (how did I live without ‘em?!)

R26

I think it is so funny - the "my cup is fater than your standard car chat", Is it just me or is it not that most of the cup drivers are trying to justify not having the more expensive alternative and they feel that they must use the - im faster than you chat to make themselves feel adequate ?

I wonder how many times this thread will keep emerging. Loads probably if the past is anything to go by.

However, I do agree with d_182 ^^^^s last post; BUT - if you are going to track your car - then you might want to strip it, but then can you not buy one of the RS cars that are made solely for the track if thats what you want ?

Anyway, just to add fuel to the fire - I was thinking - If I had a cup and wanted to turn it into a 182 (cupped) then its going to cost me a lot of money for all those goodies. But cos I have a cupped 182, I could transform that into a cup for f**k all. So at the end of the day, im pleased to be the proud owner of a full fat 182 cupped with W I D E track, Auto CC, Leather and Alcantara, Cup suspension, Back Headrests - A split rear seat for the golf clubs, Nice thick glass to keep my music inside (dont want to be a chav - boom boom boom boom) Excellent steering wheel (for standard - cos it reminds you you are in a sport). And ultimately - to know that the car is only only second in the clio ladder - to the mighty V not third.

RFLOL hope Ive suitably fanned the flames. ouch this forum is getting hot;)

RB182cup&golf gti

think it is so funny - the "my cup is fater than your standard car chat", Is it just me or is it not that most of the cup drivers are trying to justify not having the more expensive alternative and they feel that they must use the - im faster than you chat to make themselves feel adequate ?

No mate you read the threads and i think youll find its the 182 owners slating the lower specced cups

you 182(full fat) drivers are going to hate this. I now own a 182 Cup and my mate owns a 182(full fat). We had a little race against each other last night, it was a rolling start at 40mph, race over a 1/2 stretch of road and I beat him by more that 4 lenghts.

so there you go the cup is faster. lol. (oh no now every 182 owner on here hates me)

no we dont, not very scientific you and your mate racing lol, fator in tyres, differences in fuel loads, reaction times (very important) when you chanage gear (revs) how fast you changed gear and even the tarmac in each lane and you have what amounts to a very vague comparison of performance. personally i think your mate cant drive lol

RB182cup&golf gti

Does it really matter! I own a cup and whilst on paper its 0.2 of a second quicker i know that in the real world there is nothing in it

^^^ f**king hell theres a refreshing change of opinion from the usual. i know three 172cup owners who agree with that yet the majority still bang on about them being faster when they arent lol

Everyone has forgotten the inevitable differences in engine ouputs. Two engines, the same not modified can vary by up 10% EITHER WAY.

This now makes all the above comments irrelevent. Driver ability, petrol in the tank, or any childish pub like conversation about any weight advantage. Its just been taken away.;)

As an old git

Mark

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

Im gonna get a 182CUp for £10995 new - would like a 182 but a little but too much money for me right now :(

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 25 February 2005
^^^^<!-- ZoneLabs Popup Blocking Insertion -->....... whatever you get, itll go like stink!<SCRIPT language=javascript></SCRIPT>

Amen.

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 21 February 2005

There is a large number of sadly very ignorant people on here, to "take someone with ease"....................
shut the hell up bum head, im far too ignorant to listen to you :p

Floodie

can somebody please post a pic with a normal 182 and a Cup one from behind and sides to see the difference in suspension height and track width?

Thanks

Quote: Originally posted by arun on 21 February 2005

Im looking to buy some Hovis or Kingsmill

Could you guys please tell me what are the differences between the two?

Im interested in performance more than comfort, i.e speed of which it passes through your bowels etc.
Tnx

Arun
its a good question, ive often wondered which is a superior product... and also which would win in an unarmed fight to the death

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 04 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by arun on 21 February 2005

Im looking to buy some Hovis or Kingsmill

Could you guys please tell me what are the differences between the two?

Im interested in performance more than comfort, i.e speed of which it passes through your bowels etc.
Tnx

Arun
its a good question, ive often wondered which is a superior product... and also which would win in an unarmed fight to the death
Use the SEARCH this topic has been coverd to death. However i have heard of the Kingsmill Trophy. Should be gud but maybe expensive!

R26

Quote: Originally posted by harv172 on 25 February 2005

you 182(full fat) drivers are going to hate this. I now own a 182 Cup and my mate owns a 182(full fat). We had a little race against each other last night, it was a rolling start at 40mph, race over a 1/2 stretch of road and I beat him by more that 4 lenghts.
NOW IM LAUGHING - OH MY GOD YOURE RIGHT THE CUP IS SOOOOO MUCH FASTER, YOU PROBABLY EVEN USED A TAPE MEASURE TO WORK OUT THE CAR LENGTHS - EINSTEIN

WHAT CAN I SAY - IM TOTALLY CONVINCED - INFACT I THINK I WILL SELL MY FULL FAT LUXURY 182 AND GET A CUP ON THIS BASIS ALONE

Jesus calm down dude ffs. You see half as many guys on here claiming that the Cup is faster, than you do guys proclaiming the Cup is a cheapo rip-off pile of poopsy with crap seats and no toys.

I dont think its very often that you read posts here from people saying the Cup is significantly quicker, but there are pretty much like a thousand posts a day saying how pikey it is. Take a pill - its all good :D

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 05 May 2005
Shut up Roy. Just cos you own a pink pikey wagon......;):p

Better than driving a pink pussy wagon
:D

182cup

Still giving it what i call the munson treatment ie: revving the t!ts off of it :devilish: done 2000 miles now feels alot faster then when i got it:D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

No longer a discussion on the differences between the 2 with regards to interior/exterior.

To the original thread starter, if you want total performance, get the cup.. if you want almost as good performance plus toys and comfort get the standard one. You said you were more interested in total performance, so get the cup.

For the record I have a mk2 172, use my aircon about 5 times a year but still wouldnt chop it for a Cup.