ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 with aircon on - car feels slower

BMW 120i Sport

I know the climate control with the aircon on zaps power from the engine, but does anyone else feel its a noticeable drain on the engine?

I didnt think I would notice, but I do.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Not really. Although if Im driving along and I switch the air con I can hear the engine note change slightly. I can see the eefect its had on the fuel consumption tho, its going through petrol pretty quickly at the moment.

BMW M3

Yeh... ive noticed that in my 182... The AC switch is like a sport mode switch, you switch it off to go faster. If i have the AC on and want to pull a fast manover (overtaking), i always switch it off in case of a surprise such as an on coming car..lol

[Edited by Justin182 on 23 July 2005 at 9:07pm]

But to be honest.... prob doesnt really make much of a difference as i am always paranoid about my cars performance and things about the car in general. I am sure alot of people here are the same as they are car enthusiasts.

Scirocco GT 210

I dont notice any difference in performance whatsoever when I turn the air con on.

Starts guzzling the petrol though

BMW 120i Sport

Ive got through £10 in one day with not much driving because ive had the air con on every time ive been in it.

The kick in the back is defintely less pronounced with the aircon on.

Easy solved though, windows down, aircon off and enjoy the engine note.

Quote: Originally posted by Steve2004 on 23 July 2005
I dont notice any difference in performance whatsoever when I turn the air con on. Starts guzzling the petrol though

We dont as we dont have the Climate control, its this that affects the performance.

The pump needs the extra power from somewhere ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Day on 23 July 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Steve2004 on 23 July 2005

I dont notice any difference in performance whatsoever when I turn the air con on.

Starts guzzling the petrol though

We dont as we dont have the Climate control, its this that affects the performance.

The pump needs the extra power from somewhere ;)
not sure really why there should be a difference in climate and aircon - climate is just a closed loop system where it cools and heats to maintain a given temp where aircon just keeps cooling till you switch it off.

Regardless of the operating system the components in either are the same.

Does Climate control with the A/C turned on also increase petrol consumption?

I think it must do so turn it on only when i really have to.

Now i am beginning to wonder how to switch the heaters on come winter time without turning on the climate control and wasting petrol. Because the fans dont come on unless C/C is on.

Any clues?

Elise/VX220/R26

climate control is air con but with a temp guage in the car that controls the aircon unit to maintian a constant temperature. IMO it doesnt really work as in my 172 I still had to turn the aircon off after a while as it was too cold!

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000

The pump is engaged only when A/C or climate control is turned on. Its a parasite on the engine and will sap power and lower economy. Exactlly the same as your altenator and water pump. You can get devices to turn off load from the altenator (alt-power or somin) and electric water pumps, both say they give noticable gain in power.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

It certainly robs the my car of some of the 5.5k punch it has.

get it turned off, get the windows down and boot the thing.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000

Having the windows down greatly reduces areodynamics at higher speed, also reducing performance and economy. You are all gonna have to sweat it out this summer lol.