ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

renault clio 172
hi .im new to this im just on my old mans account because im yet to register.i have a 106 gti at the moment and ive been offered good money for it so im thinking of selling and getting a 182.im just wondering how reliable are they (as in can they take a hammering) im in no rush to sell because i know my 106 is a great car and gets killed quite often and never misses a beat,it probably runs better when driven hard.just want to know a bit about the clios e.g do they have weak gearboxes or anything i should consider before maybe buying.thanks in advance

320d
They should be fine aslong as they're properly maintained so FSH is a must. Also a point to consider is the early ones (04 plate) are now coming towards 5 years old so will need a cambelt doing very soon and this is a £500 job. By all accounts they should be more reliable than the 106 gti, its a lot more modern car and will have a much more solid feel.

Hope this helps mate. I'm someone will reply with much more detail soon.

audi a6 3.0tdi
mine always get driven hard, they should be just a reliable as the pug. keep it serviced and they will be fine. you don't tend to see that many people on here having problems with them.

renault clio 172
the 1 im hoping to buy has full service history and its had the cambelt changed.its done a few track days but most hot hatches have these days and it wil be doing track with me if i get it.by the way its a trophy,what do you lot think of them

ST
The 182 trophy is the pick of bunch in the 182 range CUP is just pony, if you want a good all rounder go for a 182 with both cup packs, a mix of luxury and practicality with the ability to thrash round a track without any problems and be driven home at the end of the day..

renault clio 172
do these suffer from any gearbox problems bcause gearboxes are expensive compared to my 106

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Since my ownership (bought it 1st September) I've had a few starting problems, a lot of squeaks and random noises... but then, it is French!

Went on a 150 mile trip last weekend and it didn't miss a beat, and driving up to Norwich next week which is 100 miles from me and I'm confident it's going to preform perfectly!

Much more reliable than my old car (a Peugeot!)