ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182FF suspension options

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yeah it needs to be pretty much exactly cut so the holes end up in the right place. Doing it by by hand will end up in a fail imo.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I guess if I made a template from a 'cup' strut there's no real reason why you can't accurately mark the non cup strut then attack it with weapon of choice. lol

I wasn't aware of having to open the legs up though for the cup hub. how would you do that unless hitting it with a large mallet, preferably not timmay

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Open the legs? ooo matron!:eek:

Is it worth it?!

Might weaken the mounts, if they need to be opened up? My money would be on some H&R's, just be patient :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant

Is it worth it?!

Might weaken the mounts, if they need to be opened up? My money would be on some H&R's, just be patient :)

But how low are they and how stiff is the ride?

I want something a little firmer and a little lower so it doesn't transform the car too much. Basically I want somewhere in the middlle so a compromise. I might look into the Prolines and costs of non cup hubs so I don't have to machine anything down.

Da

Less
Non cup hubs are weaker than cup hubs, hence the difference in thickness. That alone could transform the handling, in the wrong way.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
But how low are they and how stiff is the ride?

I want something a little firmer and a little lower so it doesn't transform the car too much. Basically I want somewhere in the middlle so a compromise. I might look into the Prolines and costs of non cup hubs so I don't have to machine anything down.

The idea of Coilovers is you can set them at O.E height if you wanted.....

Pro lines and Konis would be ideal, even though imo prolines wont alter the look of a cupped 182 in any way, might even raise the rear ;)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I appreciate what your saying but they withstand the forces put onto a non cup 182 with full coilovers etc?

are there any other differences in the 2. wider track is down to the wheels isn't it? and the 3-4mm ride height drop would be the springs?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Wider track is cupped hubs on a 182. 172 Cups is the wheels. :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
there's no winning. maybe I'll attack the stack height of the standard springs with a hacksaw proper ghetto style

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27

Is it worth it?!

yes the gap between the two legs is larger on the cup hub so you need to remove a little bit of material from them, which again I did on a milling machine. And I know it wont have weaken the Spax, I'm an engineering that has lots of sheet metal experience, plus I use software that works things like this out ;)

fad

Clio 182 FF
Just had a quick flick through, seeing as this wont hit track and you want adjustabililty the Koni Adjustables would be great IMO The adjustability just makes them more flexible to suit your needs.

I had them on my Corsa and they were superb.

When I spoke to Mark Fish a while ago we were going to order a set of Koni's in and machine the holes to suit the cup hub spacing. Being an engineer by trade he assured me this would be fine and we spoke about how he used to elongate the holes when running camber on the old 5 Turbos he used to run.

I would speak to Mark directly and see what he recomends. He sets up Clio cup cars and Mini challenge cars so comes highly regarded.

Golf GTD Mk7
Non cup hubs are weaker than cup hubs, hence the difference in thickness. That alone could transform the handling, in the wrong way.

Would it though really daz? The weight of the cars are the same regardless of the cup chassis. Is it just the hubs that would need changing though? thought the track was slightly wider?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
thats what I originally thought, but don't want to loose the wider track as I noticed a difference driving a cupped 182 compared to a normal 182

Golf GTD Mk7
thats what I originally thought, but don't want to loose the wider track as I noticed a difference driving a cupped 182 compared to a normal 182

Most likely due to the suspension/damping rather than the track though. It's only marginally bigger IIRC