ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

19 in 6 months, what car to get?

Clio Extreme 3
In 6-7 months i turn 19, insurance drops a fair bit, to the point where TPFT is £1130 a year on a 182 cup.

Not sure what to go for...

Currently on the list is:
182 Cup (pref in that gorgeous racing blue colour)
Astra GSi (2.0 turbo)#
not really sure of what else

Probs no1 choice would be the 182 cup, but i am partial to a turbo :/

What does everyone else think? which is the better car, and what other good options are there?

Jon

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Get a 1.6 or something for a couple more years then get a 2.0 :) I wouldn't be getting just TPFT or paying more than a grand for insurance mate!

PH1 V6
Im 20 and i cant get insured on a 182 for that amount! if i could then i would so yes go with a 182 if thats the amount to pay.... just have to ask yourself if you can deal with TPFT... ie your car not being covered in result of accident.

Oh and do not buy an astra... i think they are a let down but thats just my opinion. 182 FTW

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
So WHEN you run out of talent and end up in a hedge, you'll have to pay for your repairs out of your own pocket, not a good idea mate,

Be sensible for a couple more years,

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Keep your current car until you're 21 and save up for something decent. Don't forget you've got tax, repairs, maintenence etc on it too.

Also it'll be much cheaper for you and you'll enjoy it more. :)

So WHEN you run out of talent and end up in a hedge, you'll have to pay for your repairs out of your own pocket, not a good idea mate,

Be sensible for a couple more years,

Plus this ^

Titanium 182
Get a cheap PH1 and third party I had a 182 last year (I was 19) and wouldn't have dreamed of having it on third party but now I have my ph1 on Thirdparty as it only cost me £2k to buy.

BMW M Lite
When I was 19 I had a 1.6 Megane Coupe. That was plenty quick enough for my excess enthusiasm/lack of talent! And the insurance was less than a grand...

How much are you looking to spend mate?

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Dont forget that it's not just insurance that will go up on a 2.0l

Tax and petrol will take a hammering.

If it's what you want and your sensible the 182 sounds your best bet OR a ph2 172?

S3, HD Nightster
I was TPFT untill I was 21, had a 106 1.1, 106 xsi and ph1 172.

Go for it mate. Just don't crash it lol.

BMW M Lite
So WHEN you run out of talent and end up in a hedge, you'll have to pay for your repairs out of your own pocket, not a good idea mate

At least theres now plenty of 172/182's around being broken. Should make it easier and cheaper to get the bits when you stack it and the insurance reminds you that you're TPFT...

197 ff albi
i have a soft spot for the astra gsi in arden blue, theyll be a hell of a lot cheaper to insure than the 182 as iirc they are ins group 14 where as clios are 16, the 182 will be the more fun and quicker car until you tweak the astra but could you really like everyone says risk tpft i know i couldn't/WOULDN'T

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I'm have been TPFT when I was young, If your car is worth less than £1000, it isn't worth it, although at that price the insurance premium won't be affected much.

Car worth £600, you smash a headlight and dent the bonnet or wing it is gonna be written off.

Un chaved corsa c
In 6-7 months i turn 19, insurance drops a fair bit, to the point where TPFT is £1130 a year on a 182 cup.

Not sure what to go for...

Currently on the list is:
182 Cup (pref in that gorgeous racing blue colour)
Astra GSi (2.0 turbo)#
not really sure of what else

Probs no1 choice would be the 182 cup, but i am partial to a turbo :/

What does everyone else think? which is the better car, and what other good options are there?

Jon
How many ncb you got?

Discounted 1*2 parts
i have a soft spot for the astra gsi in arden blue, theyll be a hell of a lot cheaper to insure than the 182 as iirc they are ins group 14 where as clios are 16, the 182 will be the more fun and quicker car until you tweak the astra but could you really like everyone says risk tpft i know i couldn't/WOULDN'T

astras are more expensive to insure. iirc they are both 16/17 insurance group. I came from the vauxhall scene and have always had a soft spot for the astra mk4 gsi in blue as well. The clio is quicker on paper and the better handling car. But the astra repsonds well to remaps and exhausts etc

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I tpft on my car and bike, worth about £4.5K each.

The bike was about £200 more to insure fully comp, it doesn't get used much and the excess is very high for fully comp, i'd have to do serious damage to not be able to fix it myself for under £1K i reckon.

The car was an extra £1K for fully comp, no-one wanted to touch me for that cover and since i didn't pay much more than £1K for tpft it made sense. Plus youv'e got a high excess on f/c when your young. If i crash i'll just sell the bike to buy another.

Its a risk you take, and it can work out, and has for me for the past 3 years. I use a £5K rule, if its worth more i'll go fully comp, anything less than 5K i could replace fairly quickly.

Titanium 182
19 yo in a 182, somones going to end up dead or broken, no offence! :)

Bit of a generalisation.

I'll agree, at 19 you're not exactly a qualified driver, but the Clio RS isn't that hard to tame!

I bought my 172 when I was 19, I'm now 20 and really don't think I've got a car that's 'that' special. It's the fastest out of my uni friends, but still no Veyron!

On a slightly different note, my insurance renewal is coming up this January and the best quote I've had is £890 f.c, that's me being twenty and a half :eek: with 3 years nc bonus. I think that's rather good tbh!

Clio Extreme 3
maintenence wise, no worries, i work 6 days a week as a full time mechanic, so fixing = free, parts = trade price, so at the end of the day i wont be paying over the ods for the more expensive jobs i.e cambelt, and servicing etc will cost basically nothing

Saxo VTS/106 gti insurance is aprox £150-200 cheaper, i cant see any advantages of having one over a CS, imo they look worse, handle worse, less power, less room inside, they are everywhere, and talking of me crashing...id probably walk away from a write off in a clio..not sure about a saxo?!

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
maintenence wise, no worries, i work 6 days a week as a full time mechanic, so fixing = free, parts = trade price, so at the end of the day i wont be paying over the ods for the more expensive jobs i.e cambelt, and servicing etc will cost basically nothing

Saxo VTS/106 gti insurance is aprox £150-200 cheaper, i cant see any advantages of having one over a CS, imo they look worse, handle worse, less power, less room inside, they are everywhere, and talking of me crashing...id probably walk away from a write off in a clio..not sure about a saxo?!

And Cliosports are not?!? I see far more 1*2's daily than I do 106gti's!