ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197/200 6 speed gearbox fitting into a 1*2 - works

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
I hear if you change the sump on a 1*2 you can use a 197/200 6 speed box ?

TRUE ?

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Unless you're a mechanic or have ready access to all the equipment needed, it's gonna cost a lot for an extra cog. So I'd rather go the full hog have an R26 engine and box put in. £££

Last edited:

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Fit a 197 sump and just fit the box.......straight on bolt up. Just need to sort linkage etc.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
He's probably looking at using the 6 speed so he can get a dog engagement gear kit to fit inside the original 197 casing. Assuming they're available, which i'm 99.9% sure they are.
The 6 speed box does fit but you need to change the sump as stated.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Its a box that has closer ratios than the 5 speed and therfore better from competition...

Also you would think it would be more reliable.

///M135i
My 182 box was just about to s**t itself before I sold it lol other than that it was fine. My 197 is a pita when cold. 1st gear is just impossible lol!

172 phII
A friend of mine put a 197 motor + gearbox in 172 - car performs significantly better. if you can manage that upgrade its worth the hassle

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
if i was gonna go full engine and box swap and all that i would wait till better N/A engine mods come out for them before it gets put in so it saves on a lot more hassle :)

C&F

172 clio
so does that mean a 197 gearbox will fit onto a 172 cup engine? and techinally it will go faster??