ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197/200 Brembos on 182 with 280mm Discs

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Looking into possibility of running 197/200 Brembo's on the 182.

I would be using 280mm discs, and running 15" 2118's, so understand I need 5mm machining off mounting face. I will also be running some spacers.

Re pads, I assume just use 197/200 pads in brand/compound of choice.

As for brake hoses - assume these are ok? https://www.brtmotorsport.co.uk/pro...-brembo-brake-hose-kit?variant=29166507851881

Which just leaves brackets - does anybody currently make brackets for Brembo 280mm setup? Pure Motorsport have some brackets, but think this only works with 300mm disc setup?

Appreciate any help!

Ash

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I did, and sold my last pair recently. Unfortunately I'm now on furlough so can't say when I'll be able to make some more.

There is a guy on Facebook making aluminium ones. However he's tapped into them for the caliper bolts and there's not enough material for the minimum thread engagement so personally if stay away from them. That's the reason pms don't make 280 brackets. I could try knock up a pair in steel when I go back to work in a couple of weeks.

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
I did, and sold my last pair recently. Unfortunately I'm now on furlough so can't say when I'll be able to make some more.

There is a guy on Facebook making aluminium ones. However he's tapped into them for the caliper bolts and there's not enough material for the minimum thread engagement so personally if stay away from them. That's the reason pms don't make 280 brackets. I could try knock up a pair in steel when I go back to work in a couple of weeks.

Appreciate the reply.

Typical you sold the last pair recently!

Not in any immediate rush for brackets so couple of weeks would be fine.

What was the material you previously made them from? Also steel?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

If you are going to do another batch I'll have a set mine are starting to look a little to crusty.

Ash J

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1 172
Assume these are no good/won't work with 280mm discs?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Assume these are no good/won't work with 280mm discs?

Issue is the aluminium corrodes.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I did some in steel and some in 6082t6 aluminium. They were zinc plated / hard anodised for extra corrosion resistance.
Those ones above say they are for 300 discs and you can machine the calipers to fit 280's. The calipers need 5mm off to fit 280's with the correct size brackets anyway, I've not seen anyone say they have machined 10mm off a caliper as it's unknown if that will break through into the cavity and scrap the caliper! If someone has a fucked caliper I'll happily try and see what happens. Also the ones on here that are crumbling were made from 7 series aluminium and like those un coated. It's strong but has bugger all corrosion resistance, which is why I used 6 series and hard anodised them. These are mine:
IMG_20190514_112926.jpg

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Is it worth it?

I went down that road but came back again and am now on standards.

Don’t get me wrong, they looked decent but in hindsight I just wouldn’t have bothered as there isn’t enough benefit, certainly no noticeable performance gains for me.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Is it worth it?

Don’t get me wrong, they looked decent but in hindsight I just wouldn’t have bothered as there isn’t enough benefit, certainly no noticeable performance gains for me.

Depends how you use the car I guess, they shine through on a hot trackday compared to standard.
Also a 197 master cylinder gives you a much better feel over the standard 1*2 setup.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Is it worth it?

As much as I want a set for my car, I think I will just get some titanium backing plates for the standard caliper made - then run cooling ducts

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
As much as I want a set for my car, I think I will just get some titanium backing plates for the standard caliper made - then run cooling ducts
will be doing something similar (y) ,I originally wanted Brembo callipers but as I am going to be running 15" wheels and was told that you have to shave the Brembo caliper down I passed on that idea...

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
why Ti?
for :cool: ?
or does it have good isolation properties?

Titanium has pretty low rate of thermal conductivity. Widely used in shims to back brake pads and reduce heat transfer to the pistons and thus the Caliper body and fluid. I run titanium shims on my Cayman R as it’s quite popular with the Porsche guys who track their cars.
Personally if you’ve ever put proper pads in the little Clios OEM Calipers, I fail to see how you could require any more in the way of a 4 pot Caliper other than aesthetics.

Has anyone weighed them vs the OEM single piston calipers?

Last edited:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Ti shims here on standard callipers, hoping to try them when the tracks open and we are allowed out to play again.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
'Shims' so we're talking less than a mm?
Why not go one up and use something ceramic?
Apparently brake pistons are a thing in loftier circles...

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
'Shims' so we're talking less than a mm?
Why not go one up and use something ceramic?
Apparently brake pistons are a thing in loftier circles...
Wouldn’t run them personally. Too many failures.

Desmoben1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 ph2
Looking into possibility of running 197/200 Brembo's on the 182.

I would be using 280mm discs, and running 15" 2118's, so understand I need 5mm machining off mounting face. I will also be running some spacers.

Re pads, I assume just use 197/200 pads in brand/compound of choice.

As for brake hoses - assume these are ok? https://www.brtmotorsport.co.uk/pro...-brembo-brake-hose-kit?variant=29166507851881

Which just leaves brackets - does anybody currently make brackets for Brembo 280mm setup? Pure Motorsport have some brackets, but think this only works with 300mm disc setup?

Appreciate any help!

Ash
I’ve taken on to do the very same, 197/200 brembos under OZ Superleggara 15’s.
I ordered 280mm brackets from Nick in PMS and he sent me a diagram where 1mm needs to be machined off the callipers face that meets the bracket and the to enlarge the holes where the original bolts go. I’m going to hold on until I receive the brackets in the post and offer everything up to the car ... just in case I misunderstood his instructions.
Although, in fairness, Nick is very thorough.

He mentioned that he was trial fitting the same thing under 15” 2118 with very un-Renault offsets and them requiring spacers ... but seemed to think my OZ’s with ET37 should be fine ... will know in the next week I guess.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
From PMS website

Attachments

• Brembo_280mm_Caliper_Machining_Instructions.pdf
    307.9 KB · Views: 261

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Screenshot_20200416_230547_com.android.chrome.jpg

Yep that allows them to retain the minimum thread engagement in the bracket. Obviously your caliper machining is going to be more expensive once a machine shop see those tolerances!