ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197/200 - good car for babies?

BMW E46 330i Touring
As the time approaches when we'll our little bundle of joy arriving (December), my thoughts go to replacing the Bora with something newer... ideally with warranty and the lack of MOT requirement for a year or two.

Also, as the missus will only be working part time, the need for a diesel mile-muncher is pretty much removed, at least for a couple years...

So, how practical is a 200 (or late 197) for transporting a baby and all the accessories tha they come with?!?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I had one from the birth of Alfie until he was about 6 months old and it was fine. Hold on i've got a pic.....

See, he fitted fine.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I await photo Daniel...

Good advice Lee, will bear it in mind.

I think, given the choice, I'd rather a slightly older Mk5 Golf GTi, but I'm just starting to mull over options of being able to go with a petrol car again! Maybe a 225... :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Riz's mk5 GTi (3-4yrs old iirc) feels better put together than my brand new 200. Might be worth a pm if you're looking, I know he's selling up soon. His has full spec, xenons, leather, colour nav, heated seats etc. And it's fractionally quicker than the 200.

197 cup
i have a 2 and a half year old who i must add luvs his daddys fast car as he says. its not to bad putting them in and out the back just make sure u do it so the misses doesnt get on ur back lol. just watch when there little legs get longer they kick the hell out the back of ur seats but honestly mate there fine

I think you'll be fine with a 200/197, afterall its just basically a standard mk3 with a body kit and a bigger engine, it has ISOFIX too which is a plus i guess?

Personally I'd go for it.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Haha, awesome pic Dan! That's settled the debate with the missus... a baby definitely fits in a Clio fine! We used to be okay transporting my niece on little trips in my 172's but, as said, she loved to kick the back of the seats when her feet reached!

I'm not going to be doing anything until around March / April time next year Warren, but I might give Riz a shout to at least get some feedback...

172 Race Car
Im sure its fine when they are slightly older but IMO a 3door is a right pain in the ass with a baby. Just been over to see the inlaws and borrowed their 3door Punto.

5 door with a kid for me everytime. I did admit to the wife I was wrong when I kicked up a stink about not wanting a 5 door when buying our current car

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Don't be fooled by bigger car = better.

Alfie was under two when he could reach the back of the front seats in the Audi!! Little sod has ruined the back of the passenger seat!

I'm expecting babber number two and have chopped the Audi in for a Clio 200, thats how confident I am that all our gubbins will fit in it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Im sure its fine when they are slightly older but IMO a 3door is a right pain in the ass with a baby. Just been over to see the inlaws and borrowed their 3door Punto.

5 door with a kid for me everytime. I did admit to the wife I was wrong when I kicked up a stink about not wanting a 5 door when buying our current car

We need to have a chat James.....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Never EVER admit you are wrong.

Its like admitting defeat, giving up. C'mon old boy, we'll sort you out and have back on all cylinders in no time.

V6 255
My 6 month old and all of his gear can fit in the 200. We also have a scenic for long times away so his walker and more toys etc, but most of the time I try use the Clio. His car seat (maxi cosi) just squeezes into the back too ;-)

Clio 1970000000
The Bora will be a better baby carrying car without question (my last car was a Bora and was pefect for the role) but a 197/200 will also be fine. I have 4 and 8 year old kids who love my 197 but they can get in the back themselves. I would get a 5 door hot hatch if I was you. Not quite as good looking but you will thank me for the advice.

Stagecoach Ticket
Megane R26R perfect for kids indoor climbing frame, bright colours, large door at the rear for taking them in and out only way to go IMO.

Disclaimer: If you buy an R26R and put your children in the rear of the car at speed they will get hurt if not worse.

Stagecoach Ticket
All modern cars are pretty good at taking kids my little brother fits in the back of the Alfa and that has possiably the worst rear seats ever made 200/197 should be fine has a good saftey rating aswell i think