ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197/200 or Cooper S (and a little part of me says VXR)

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
There's nothing wrong with any of the cars mentioned above.

corsa vxr is a cracking car, easy bhp gains for not much money. Look nice and have the punch to go with it. Worse than the Clio 197/200 on fuel though.

Clio 197/200- I think it's an upwards step from a 182. It's better built, better handling and brakes. Doesn't feel as quick because its so stable at high speeds. After 7 months of owning my 200, it's only now I'm really getting to grips with the handling. Actually having the confidence to push the handling, they're hard cars to drive 'over' their limits IMO. You have to be doing something completely wrong.

mini turbo. I like them, looks, power. Looked at one of the JCW when I was looking for a car, had the Recaro suade seats. Lovely cars.
but the Clio just felt more direct in the handling. And the Clio was just as quick, but doesn't feel it because of the no torque compared to the mini.

If you get a FF 200 with Recaros and cup chassis, it seemed the better car. For what i wanted anyway. Has everything you need in the car. And felt the more 'driver's car'

Every car has it 'issues' so its just which car you prefer.
Hope this helps

Clio 200 FF
I've just bought a 200 with Cup pack which i changed from a Corsa VXR which i had for 3-4 weeks - didn't like it at all ,18"s gave very stiff ride, looked like a chav car, gearknob is too big so not comfy, 31-33mpg was ok, lots of rattles and tbh it didn't feel as quick as i expected in a straight line? If you are wanting 1 look on vxronline forum and see the long list of common problems (piston 4, gearbox, air-con pipes, wheel bearings, etc).
I've also had an astra VXR (remapped) and that was totally reliable and pushing about 280+bhp was quick - like torque steering but it was so much fun.
Prior to the Astra i had a Focus ST (remapped) - as standard it didn't feel quick but mapped it was a totally different car, few rattles, not the best build quality and 22-23mpg which was same as Astra.
The 200 feels a lot more comfy than the others (non recaro seats) and i thought i'd miss not having a turbo but tbh it feels just as quick as the Corsa in a straight line - haven't driven the back roads yet as i've just picked it up but it does feel a lot more planted.

Meg 300Cup
What's everyone's thoughts on the fiesta st mountune 185,test drove one it felt really nice, smoother delivery than the clio and just as quick as the mini really,
19000 miles £6900.?

Megane r26
I like those fiestas really put together well an that 2.0 duratec engine seems quite tuneable. It was between st an 172 for me but the 172 just pulled me in an its lead to 5 years or Clio ownership haha. Fiesta is a great car though, supposed to be great on 16" wheels?

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
What's everyone's thoughts on the fiesta st mountune 185,test drove one it felt really nice, smoother delivery than the clio and just as quick as the mini really,
19000 miles £6900.?

i feel the novelty will just wear off though bud and you will have spent thousands for not a great deal.

If you want a modified car it has to be a focus st rather than a fiesta. Not much more room for growth in a 185 kit without spending big dollarrr. My money would be on a good focus st and remap it. A mate has one (stage 4) and its very quick, sounds lovely and has no rattles or squeaks inside. Nice place to be sat too.

Megane r26
If you want a modified car it has to be a focus st rather than a fiesta. Not much more room for growth in a 185 kit without spending big dollarrr. My money would be on a good focus st and remap it. A mate has one (stage 4) and its very quick, sounds lovely and has no rattles or squeaks inside. Nice place to be sat too.

But he's already said insurance is a problem with the st. The focus are a great car, really are a nice place to be as already said an the Volvo power plant is so smooth

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Those Fiesta ST Mountune have had really good write ups.

Recaro's in them too? Great handling cars too.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Keep the 182 and then buy an R26 when your insurance is up, save up more money to allow you to get a lower mileage, more sort after coloured one :)

Meg 300Cup

Insurance was another 500 for the focus and just looks too meh to me, the whole price of running is a lot more in general too

Very stuck between the mini and the fiesta and they're very different cars

Insurance was another 500 for the foc
PHP:
us and just looks too meh to me, the whole price of running is a lot more in general too

Sorry, missed that.

The R56 mini has a few engine problems but is still better than an st imo. Plus the st is old now.

Megane r26
Insurance was another 500 for the focus and just looks too meh to me, the whole price of running is a lot more in general too

The focus is known to be heavy on juice, that five cylinder lump has a drinking problem for sure lol. But the t5 is fairly solid powerplant, in all my time at Volvo I only removed one cylinder head on a t5!

RB Clio 182
The corsa vxrs are fun little hatches with alot of low down torque, ive had 2, a normal corsa vxr and then a corsa nurburgring edition with the lsd and bilsteins etc.

That was a 20k plus car and looked mint, but i prefere my £2450 182, its much more fun and feels quicker in the right gear, you might be dissapointed if you change mate.

I did love my vxrs when i owned them but the little clio loves it ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
19000 miles £6900.?

Fantastic package, it feels as though it should have left the factory. Smaller wheels and its a great all-rounder, you cannot go wrong.

Those Fiesta ST Mountune have had really good write ups.

Recaro's in them too? Great handling cars too.

Recaro's were an extra option on the Mountune's, an expensive one at that IIRC.

RS6 C7
Mini's reliability is shocking!

Worse than Renault from what iv'e seen / heard!, Renaults are at least a cheap fix most of the time.

Tangoed Works
Mini Cooper s supercharged with a mynes remap and 13.2% reduction pulley from 1320 mini. Keeps inlet temps low, easily get 50miles from £10 when having a hoon much more if cruising gently.

minis only drink as they are mapped rich as stock due to them being sold in the four corners of the earth. You will have 220 bhp with the above, much more torque low down and generally a total laugh. It took me some time to figure it all out after my 182, but this car has only needed a clutch at 90k and a new rad at 50k.

Never broken down on me and still feels tight. Rs clios are awesome out the box but its a lot of fun adding bits to set a car up for how you want it to handle stop and go. Yes it's dearer but the mini is a solid platform to work with.

Mini Cooper s supercharged with a mynes remap and 13.2% reduction pulley from 1320 mini. Keeps inlet temps low, easily get 50miles from £10 when having a hoon much more if cruising gently.

minis only drink as they are mapped rich as stock due to them being sold in the four corners of the earth. You will have 220 bhp with the above, much more torque low down and generally a total laugh. It took me some time to figure it all out after my 182, but this car has only needed a clutch at 90k and a new rad at 50k.

Never broken down on me and still feels tight. Rs clios are awesome out the box but its a lot of fun adding bits to set a car up for how you want it to handle stop and go. Yes it's dearer but the mini is a solid platform to work with.

Yes jay. When you get bored of 197/200 pace its expensive to get quicker. Forced induction FTW.

clio 182 sport

Are you not listenin to ANYONE lol mini's are sh*t on the reliability, get the ST if you must change, oh an a lil bonus the ST is chain ( no belts )

clio 197
ive driven and raced against all of the above, i havnt read other comments so i appolagise for any repeat information.
i owned a 197 for a year and it stuck to the road like glue, vxrs are compleate rubbish just ask dannyr even tuned unless you spend a fortune they are slow,
my girlfriend has a supercharged mini and its miles better than the turbo mini, so much more tunable than the clio if you dont want to spend much and handles brilliantly,
the 197 is not a very quick car but is a lot of fun
IMOid go for a 197/200 or a supercharged mini with reduced supercharger pulley

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Your quite restricted with the mini to upgrades too. Only so much you can do for 'cheap' then it's really expensive to extract any more.

230hp is around the average gains, then into big £££ to extract more power.

what I love with the Clio's is the Chasis is amazing, brakes are more than capable and the cup suspension is a perfect match to finish the car off for an all around great car. The power gains are tiny and expensive. But 200hp from a n/a is pretty impressive anyway.

By the time people spend ££££ on brakes, suspension and engine tuning on cars like the mini for example, you could do a drive in drive out supercharge conversion for the Clio for around 3.5K. Still retaining standard suspension and brakes, keeping the car looking completely standard looking with it'd height and everything else.
I know I've gone a bit off topic, but I'm just saying or trying to say then rather, that the Clio is a brilliant car and has plenty of potential.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
ive driven and raced against all of the above, i havnt read other comments so i appolagise for any repeat information.
i owned a 197 for a year and it stuck to the road like glue, vxrs are compleate rubbish just ask dannyr even tuned unless you spend a fortune they are slow,
my girlfriend has a supercharged mini and its miles better than the turbo mini, so much more tunable than the clio if you dont want to spend much and handles brilliantly,
the 197 is not a very quick car but is a lot of fun
IMOid go for a 197/200 or a supercharged mini with reduced supercharger pulley

Corsa Vxr slow? Bit of an exaggeration saying even a tuned one is.
Exhaust,intercooler,injectors,filter and a stage 3 map for 250hp. That's quite cheap tuning and a great result.
my brothers is around 230'ish, it's hardly slow...

define how you think they're s**t? Handling and brakes aren't as good as the Clio I agree, the corsa is a much better car for tuning than the Clio.

RB Clio 182
Corsa Vxr slow? Bit of an exaggeration saying even a tuned one is.
Exhaust,intercooler,injectors,filter and a stage 3 map for 250hp. That's quite cheap tuning and a great result.
my brothers is around 230'ish, it's hardly slow...

+1, they arnt exactly slow, has any one been up the strip in a standard clio 182 vs a standard corsa vxr?

I would like to know the result, ive been one on youtube but its the vxr arctic with the remus exhaust and it just clinches it, but the arctic comes with the free flowing remus downpipe and remus backbox which gives iit a few more horses and torques.

Tangoed Works
Cam pulley remap injectors on a supercharged s will get you 250 at the fly. This is more than enough to do e46 m3's. was out with my friend in his evo 4 and my other mate in his 244 Hp cooper s. the evo only convincingly pulled away over 100 when rolling from 60.

Massively underrated. The new turbo s is nice to drive but a lot of problems due to direct injection. Both of them are chain driven so no belts.

RB Clio 182
Minis just remind me of hairdresser cars tho, that just might be my opinion, i could imagine rylan clark stepping out of one and doing the whatever hand gesture zeds

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
See, your even putting a cam in the mini for that hp, and the corsa does it without touching internals.

clio 197
i raced againts a stage 2 vxr in my standard 197 and i considerer the clio a bit slow for the money
ive come up against a few vxrs and driven them and they are not great, my friend recently bought one and was very dissapointed with it, howeva my girlfriends dad had one which he spent alot on and that was quick but my girlfriends mini goes like s**t off a stck and all it has is springs and full milteck, it wasted my 197.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
All these story's.

so a stage 2 corsa wasn't impressive, but the mini with just an exhaust went like "s**t off a stick"? If your on about a supercharged mini, then they're 170 odd hp.... And even the turbo ones, an exhaust wouldn't see night and day differences.
Strange

clio 197
All these story's.

so a stage 2 corsa wasn't impressive, but the mini with just an exhaust went like "s**t off a stick"? If your on about a supercharged mini, then they're 170 odd hp.... And even the turbo ones, an exhaust wouldn't see night and day differences.
Strange

ask dannyr hes seen my gf mini go it wud beat any stock clio, im a clio man ive had 172, 197, mk1 valvers, and its quicker than all of them and handles very well, standard vxr vs mini supercharged mini would be quicker

RB Clio 182
My arden corsa vxr had a full cobra decat, big front mount intercooler and a map, it was 242bhp on the rollers.

£600 for full decat cobra, £350 for tx intercooler and £380 for it mapped, £1330 for a gain of 53hp and a ton of torque, very tunable but the corsa vxr do need forge pistons as the standards are cr4p.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
F*cking hell, some absolute sh*te being spoke in this thread.

Out of your options they are all much of a muchness and will come down to your personal preference. Don't listen to somebody who has raced his gobsh*te mates around the local industrial estate.

Only advice I'd give is just buy something you can afford to comfortably run, i.e leave money for repairs etc, especially if you are buying a Mini. Trust me.

Edit: this lee88 guy sounds like a complete moron who needs to be taken off the road.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Hostility runs high when your own car is being slated. LOL.

Retardation runs high when you've got scotsman in the house.

I said earlier that I like mine, but due to the problems I'm having I really wouldn't recommend one. I literally couldn't care less if people don't like Minis, I didn't buy it to please cliosport.

ST
Hostility runs high when your own car is being slated. LOL.

Indeed.. I've owned a 182, an R27 and a slightly breathed on charged Cooper S Works as you know spaniel.. The MINI was the best all rounder, good motorway manners, with 230bhp it pee'd all over most rep mobiles and equivalent hot hatches with an air of class IMO. The turbo mini.. Meh.. I wasn't impressed when I test-drove both the standard s and and the works, numb in comparison to the pervious 182, R27 and works. Just my 2p's worth.

Meg 300Cup
Are you not listenin to ANYONE lol mini's are sh*t on the reliability, get the ST if you must change, oh an a lil bonus the ST is chain ( no belts )

I am listening to everyone mate, I've gone right off the mini atm the St felt just as grunty anyway, then add that I won't need finance to get the st, no cambelt and it should be just a quick as the 182 but cheaper to insure and run all sounds good to me

The only benefit the mini has is better mpg which is irrelevant as the car costs 3k more in the first place

19000 miles minter sounds good to me