ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 and 200...How much difference is there?

Ly Megane 230 F1
Im not to clued up on any models past the 182 since i havent owned any of them (yet ;) )

So im looking for some advice since in the next few weeks il be getting another clio.

Ive first been looking at getting a 200..must have the cup pack (not driven the non cup so i dont know the difference) and recaros.

I then thought about getting a 197 f1..? as ive never been in/near/driven one i know nothing about these yet.

Reason im asking is between the cars ive been looking at there is a good £3k+ difference between the 2..

In your opinions which one and why? :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I was in the same position as you, ended up with the r27 for insurance lol

My spec had to be

Ly
recaros
cup chassis

I figured I'd look for r27s as you could only get ly in that spec an itd come standard with recaros and cup chassis ( they introduced the cup chassis with the r27 so there's a bit benchmarkness about it)

Then I wanted
xenons with cornering lights (look for washer jets)
Climate control (look for buttons on dash)
Cup spoiler or no spoiler (so I can fit the cup spoiler later)

Find an r27 and a ff 200 and see which you prefer.

I imagine it's £3k extra for not much extra car if you get the 200

Ly Megane 230 F1
It was liquid yellow ones i looking at ;) lol.

What extras were available with the r27s? Just so i know what to look out for.. Ive seen them fitted with the aero kit and im quite liking it!

The only good thing about getting a 200 is..chances are it will still be in warranty,have lower miles,newer..but then its still quite a bit extra to paying on top of a 197 if they are basically the same

05 clio dynamique
If you have they money and want a 200 i'd say go for the 200. In my opinion, visually; they're better. Not so sure about what's in what so I can't help there. But I know if I had the money to pick i'd go for the 200, it's all about what you want not whats cheapest at the end of the day.. if you can afford it :)

Edit, also.. If i'm right i believe the r27 is just an FF 197 special edition

Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The aero kit is a must have IMO, wasn't keen on the splitter at first but now I love it. I just need the skirts and spoiler now :)

Electric heated folding Mirrors (on the mirror adjust knob therell be a dot on the bottom to spin the knob round to which will fold them in)

Xenons with cornering lights (look for washer jets. Complete novelty but it's quite cool at night)

Climate control (buttons/ screen on the dash rather than the knobs)

Standard kit iirc is
auto lights
auto wipers
anthracite alloys
recaros
Red brembos

I made sure to get one with all the decals as they're over a grand to buy from Renault (as I didn't want an r27 without them, would you de sticker a trophy? :p)

Youll find a lot of 200s are coming to the end of their warrenty. I took a 3 year warrenty out on my car when I bought it.
And re milage. Mine had around 27k on when I bought it :)

Ly Megane 230 F1
Yup i seen this one for sale..closest f1 to me for sale.

Has anyone driven both the 197 and 200 with the cup packs? would like to know the difference..I have driven a 200 cup and loved the driving(not as fast as i thought but thats nothing to worry about) the feel of it on the road and the handling was second to none in my opinion hence why i want the cup packs.

Fiesta ST200
Not a massive difference from 197 to 200. 200 handles better and in my opinion looks much better. I have driven both extensively (I own a 200).

I jumped from a 182 to a 200 and there were a few things I noticed instantly.

The weight of the car. The 200 feels a bit heavier, but also seems to grip better. It's a strange sensation, difficult to describe.

The brakes. Are incredible, enough said.

The whole interior and feel of the car. It is so much more presentable on the inside, the steering wheel is a lot smaller and so a lot easier to use. Seats are more supportive and comfortable. The yellow rev counter is also a nice touch. Speaking of revs, the gear shift beep is also fantastic in my opinion. Really worth having on the track too.

The engine/gearbox. The gearbox is worlds better than the 182. The extra gear is also nice to play with. Engine wise, due to it being heavier they are about the same, the 200 may be a little better lower down.

On the whole I have had no regrets buying mine, cracking cars and so much more grown up than a 182. The perfect hot hatch.

Ly Megane 230 F1
I must say the brakes were amazing when i test drove one..done an emergency stop test :) really impressed with them.

It was 200s i started looking at but then i thought i could save some money getting a 197 instead

05 clio dynamique
I must say the brakes were amazing when i test drove one..done an emergency stop test :) really impressed with them.

It was 200s i started looking at but then i thought i could save some money getting a 197 instead

If you're spending so much on the car anyway, i'd just go all out and get the 200 :)

Fiesta ST200
Depends what you want mate.

Cup has poverty interior and key start but is a little lighter.

Non cup or 'full fat' has keyless entry, push button start and soft touch dash etc.

I've gone full fat with cup pack, it's the best of both worlds ;)

Ly Megane 230 F1
has to be the non cup then :).. what difference does the cup pack to the non cup pack make? what extras are involved there apart from calipers and suspension ?

Megane r26
I have just got rid of my 197 an replaced it with a 182 trophy, originally had a ph2 172 before the 197. The 197 was a cracking car no doubt about it, felt planted in terms of handling brakes weren't as good as expected until I replaced the brembo pads for ferodo ds2500 which made it awesome. The performance wise well, it was a quick car don't get me wrong seemed to have a bit more power lower down compared to 1*2 but lacked the "raw feel" which tbh kind of dissapointed from the start an tbh put me off the car which is why I only had it for 9 months. But I did like the little extras like the keyless entry an start an it did feel like a well put together car but it just didn't really feel like any sort of jump performance wise, maybe I should have gone for the megane at the time, oh the mpg weren't quite as good tbh but I guess f you want mpg you go tdi.

Megane r26
What're they like 0-60? Someone asked me and I couldn't give them an answer as I've never had the chance of driving a sport (on a 197)

Not sure but I'm sure google will tell you, I like a quick car but I don't spend too much time looking at 0-60 times as I prefer to concentrate on the drivability and handling which is in my opinion what clio sports are all about. Point an shoot handling an just enough power to give other bigger cars a scare on track or a b road :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
has to be the non cup then :).. what difference does the cup pack to the non cup pack make? what extras are involved there apart from calipers and suspension ?

Red calipers, anthracite wheels, much firmer springs/dampers, 7% (I think) quicker steering rack.

How do they compare? Couldn't tell you, I've never driven one with Cup suspension.

What I can say after having covered 13k + 2 trackdays in my non-cup 200 is that the cup setup is not needed. My car has as much Renaultsport DNA running through it as any other, but it's driveable at pace on roads which would have a cup suspended one stuttering.

On a billiard table smooth race track I don't doubt the cup setup would feel sharper, but mine doesn't feel lacking in any area on road or track. At all.

Last edited:
  05 clio dynamique
Not sure but I'm sure google will tell you, I like a quick car but I don't spend too much time looking at 0-60 times as I prefer to concentrate on the drivability and handling which is in my opinion what clio sports are all about. Point an shoot handling an just enough power to give other bigger cars a scare on track or a b road :)

Yeah i'm not too bothered myself, my friend just likes to boast over the fact he could probably beat a 200 off the mark so i wanted to see how it compared haha. Cheers anyway

Megane r26
Red calipers, anthracite wheels, much firmer springs/dampers, 7% (I think) quicker steering rack.

How do they compare? Couldn't tell you, I've never driven one with Cup suspension.

What I can say after having covered 30k + 2 trackdays in my non-cup 200 is that the cup setup is not needed. My car has as much Renaultsport DNA running through it as any other, but it's driveable at pace on roads which would have a cup suspended one stuttering.

On a billiard table smooth race track I don't doubt the cup setup would feel sharper, but mine doesn't feel lacking in any area on road or track. At all.

Got to agree there I found my 197 so easy to drive at pace on the back lanes

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Recaros are a must IMO, makes the cars driving experience much better having them hold you in.

Fiesta ST200
I've only ever driven cup packed 197's and 200's.

The ride is very bearable on my car and the quicker steering rack really makes it easier to drive, especially around town.

I will agree with everyone who has said they don't feel as 'raw' as a 182. I had a 182 cup which felt like a crazy little exhaust popping, three wheeling tin can. So much fun.

The 200 is the bigger, more sophisticated brother. In every sense of the word.

it's driveable at pace on roads which would have a cup suspended one stuttering.

The Cup pack hasn't hindered me on any road tbh, and I live in the middle of nowhere. It's seriously epic as well, but like you, I haven't driven without.

All I will say is that resale will be slightly easier with.

Ado near me has driven both and chose the Cup chassis with Recaros. Probably best if the OP tries both!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
apart from the look the MOST noticeable difference is the acceleration between 1 & 4k revs- the 197 is almost pedestrian compared with the 200-

Also the 200 handling is another step up!

I have been looking at all the faults on the 197- gearbox etc & you can add another one to the list-
Steering racks-

When I look at the fault threads on 197.net every other one is about clunky steering, its only now ive realised that you can replaced the track rods, ball joints etc etc , however the steering racks are not as good as they should be....

The same on the 200 though .............

S

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
As chappers mentioned I've driven all the cars in question at length.

200 vs 200FF: only reason I went for the 200 FF was because I planned on using it on track days and the quicker rack felt much better. Otherwise the normal suspension is much better suited for road.

197 vs 200: there isn't a huge difference between them but the little changes made the 200 much easier to drive at low speeds. The torque delivery is much better for when you really need it.

Perfect combo for me would be 200 non cup with the cup rack.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I would summerise by saying if you can afford both then choose the one you like the look of best-

all the differences can be resolved with mods anyway-

S

Audi A5
For me I would get a 197 and with the money you saved on buying a 200 put towards a turbo conversion.

F4rt is a fairly easy conversion, obviously get it mapped once fitted, 260 brake, still get 30mpg and your have some raw grunt then.

GTD, Lupo
As i said in a similar thread the other day. For me it would be a 200 purely for one reason and one reason only, warranty. The earliest 200s were registered in June 2009 so will now be out of warranty but 2011 cars can still be found for good price.

But if you are not that bothered and intend to modify the car just get a 197 on the cheap, buy coilovers and stick a Megane lump in it then you have the perfect combo.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For me I would get a 197 and with the money you saved on buying a 200 put towards a turbo conversion.

F4rt is a fairly easy conversion, obviously get it mapped once fitted, 260 brake, still get 30mpg and your have some raw grunt then.

If I get a later shape clio, thats exactly what I intend on doing, the chassis is just so capable taking way more than standard power, and with an LSD being relatively easy to come by (well compared to a 172/182 box) it makes perfect sense to turbo them I think.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
200 insurance is cheaper than a 197 too. By quite a margin for some reason.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
IIRC the emissions is lower too, which might mean tax is?

Ccorrection, I just checked and although the co2 emissions is lower on the 200, both still fall into band J so are currently the same price, but if the banding changes in the future they could end up cheaper than the 197 then

Audi A5
If I get a later shape clio, thats exactly what I intend on doing, the chassis is just so capable taking way more than standard power, and with an LSD being relatively easy to come by (well compared to a 172/182 box) it makes perfect sense to turbo them I think.

Find someone breaking a R26. LSD, gearbox and engine with turbo all in one might be exspensive but think of the potential! and as you say they feel like they can put so much more power down.

Clio RS200
Recaros are a must IMO, makes the cars driving experience much better having them hold you in.

Guess if you spend that amount on some seats then you have to try and justify it to everyone you can....

The standard seats are fine, they are even shaped slightly like buckets anyway.
I have hit corners hard and not once has the seat not held me properly.

Recaro's would be a nice upgrade I agree, but a must....that's just rubbish.