ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 and 200...How much difference is there?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Everyone can argue all day long about their car & the whys & why nots they chose the options & spec they did, some of it is based around available budget to spend & for some options like recaros wasnt desired or required.

In a nutshell there is a market for every one of these cars, whether is be basic spec or high spec, However when it comes to the second hand market then it all boils down to budget.
Pretty much the majority ( say over 90%) want the cup pack & recaros, however what I find is that people in the age bracket 20 ish - 25 are often stretching their money to buy the car they want & then having a car with recaros isnt so much the fact they dont want, but more to the point cant afford.

The affordability of a 197 now is reaching the same levels as the 182's did 2 years ago- around the 5k bracket, that is generally what I see as the price range for a third or forth car for the 20 something. A cup chassis recaro 197 can probably be had now for 6.5k - possibly even less, & so once again people are stretching to get that spec.

Its the same for the 200 with people on a budget of around 8k- you can buy a MINT R27 for that, but for those with eyes on a 200, 9k will get you a cup or a FF with a few miles on it- the price bracket of 10k seems to be the lower end of where you want to be for a recaro model FF 200.
Once again it all boils down to budget & how people can stretch.
To date in the last 4 years I havent met one person that asked me for a non recaro car, however there have been plenty of people struggling to sell low spec non recaro models-
Theres an element of pricing pro rata for spec, so a basic 8k 200 V a 200 with recaros could be listed for nearer 9k, chances are the recaro model will always sell first because people want value for money & plus the age bracket of people buying these- appearence is often high on the reasons why they want the car, so if they are parting with 9k then you want the best spec money can buy.

to sum it up- in a declining struggling market low spec cars will struggle to sell despite the cheaper price tag simply because a) the differential in price to a higher specced vehicle is a small percentile of the overall cost of the car ( less than 10% ), b) MOST people buying this type of car fit into a bracket where spec is important to them....

S

I know it's getting a bit old now, but IMO the Cup spoiler really does RUIN the car. Firstly it's cheap tat, and fitted by DRILLING holes in the tailgate (hello rust). Secondly it looks s**t. Thirdly, the car just isn't quick enough to warrant that look. Fourthly, it looks s**t. Fifthly, it really does look like a Halfords special, and lastly, it looks s**t.

Don't even get me started on the other 'aero' extras. They all completely spoil the car. Renaultsport machines have never been about unnecessary trinkets. It's the drive, and subtle pumped-up look that define the 197/200. The bolt-ons are personal choice, of course, but they make you look like a jester.

IMO.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I know it's getting a bit old now, but IMO the Cup spoiler really does RUIN the car. Firstly it's cheap tat, and fitted by DRILLING holes in the tailgate (hello rust). Secondly it looks s**t. Thirdly, the car just isn't quick enough to warrant that look. Fourthly, it looks s**t. Fifthly, it really does look like a Halfords special, and lastly, it looks s**t.

Don't even get me started on the other 'aero' extras. They all completely spoil the car. Renaultsport machines have never been about unnecessary trinkets. It's the drive, and subtle pumped-up look that define the 197/200. The bolt-ons are personal choice, of course, but they make you look like a jester.

IMO.

Lol. <3's n stuff.

You know it makes sense. Hence why your 200 looks great, and not like something that should be parked outside a Toby Charvery.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
197 = Renaultsport, areo kit = Renault marketing, like the same people who dreamt up the 'gordini' colour scheme ;)

Last edited:

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I agree with the above^

Renaultsport clio's are subtle cars, yes they've got flared wings ect,
but nothing's in your face. It can still blend it with traffic, unlike the new focus rs for example.

Until you start adding all those extras...

Listerine & Poledo
RS Clios all deserve the full RS bodytrimming package. Not aftermarket tat, but the proper one you can buy from the dealers.
Actual fact, in science.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I think it is. Subtle but with a purpose.

DSC_0232.jpg

Subtle but looks fantastic. Not a fan of the wings etc but then I am over 30. Horses for courses etc.

Best nimbus 197 in te country iirc. Non recaro too. Standard seats ftw! Only option was nimbus.

recaro.jpg

Recaro fail.

LOL at those chairs. Renault's idea of fatigue testing is if it makes it back from the first test drive it's good to go.

Ly Megane 230 F1
Everyone can argue all day long about their car & the whys & why nots they chose the options & spec they did, some of it is based around available budget to spend & for some options like recaros wasnt desired or required.

In a nutshell there is a market for every one of these cars, whether is be basic spec or high spec, However when it comes to the second hand market then it all boils down to budget.
Pretty much the majority ( say over 90%) want the cup pack & recaros, however what I find is that people in the age bracket 20 ish - 25 are often stretching their money to buy the car they want & then having a car with recaros isnt so much the fact they dont want, but more to the point cant afford.

The affordability of a 197 now is reaching the same levels as the 182's did 2 years ago- around the 5k bracket, that is generally what I see as the price range for a third or forth car for the 20 something. A cup chassis recaro 197 can probably be had now for 6.5k - possibly even less, & so once again people are stretching to get that spec.

Its the same for the 200 with people on a budget of around 8k- you can buy a MINT R27 for that, but for those with eyes on a 200, 9k will get you a cup or a FF with a few miles on it- the price bracket of 10k seems to be the lower end of where you want to be for a recaro model FF 200.
Once again it all boils down to budget & how people can stretch.
To date in the last 4 years I havent met one person that asked me for a non recaro car, however there have been plenty of people struggling to sell low spec non recaro models-
Theres an element of pricing pro rata for spec, so a basic 8k 200 V a 200 with recaros could be listed for nearer 9k, chances are the recaro model will always sell first because people want value for money & plus the age bracket of people buying these- appearence is often high on the reasons why they want the car, so if they are parting with 9k then you want the best spec money can buy.

to sum it up- in a declining struggling market low spec cars will struggle to sell despite the cheaper price tag simply because a) the differential in price to a higher specced vehicle is a small percentile of the overall cost of the car ( less than 10% ), b) MOST people buying this type of car fit into a bracket where spec is important to them....

S

Dont think anyone else has put it better! Im looking for a FF 200 with recaros etc because i can afford to do so..if i couldnt afford it i would be looking for a basic 200 cup

Clio 200 cup chassis
OK! I'm new here.
I read the original posters question. and was going to attempt an answer. But after reading the whole thread. I found that corners had been turned and it was turning into a depends on your psychological profile and how much money you like spending. and how much you like too get from a car when you go to sell it?

I recently purchased a 2010 Alien Green RS 200FF with Cup chassis. Why? Because I am a driving enthusiast. (Not Track.) I wanted a car that made me want to have enjoyed the journey, not the destination.

Now while I read up all the specs and reviews and appreciated the desire for "Recaro" seats. It was certainly not foremost in my requirements. The SH. car is cheaper without them. But no matter if you had them in a SH. car. I would ask questions on why they were specced in the first place. "Oh you do Track days?"MMmm?

I guess I don't fall into the "Cliosport agegroup"? I'm 54 and loving the purity of this car.

I would consider that with the advent of PCPs and deferred payment plans. Many of the Cliosport target agegroup, will now have access, to what they perceive to be "Better cars". And so the selling of your "Pride and pampered Joy" may only be of consideration to Clio enthusiasts. Therfore decreasing your Selling options?

And so you then have to try to sell to those who want the most from as little as they can pay. And so the worn Recaros become a bargaining point?

Anyways. As I am an "Old Codger" My one complaint of this car is the positioning of the doorhandles.(Sorry if it has been covered before):eek:. But they are atrocious. I have to park on a slope or a windy carpark and I constantly have to grab the door edge to stop it falling open. Yep! That's the kindoff s**t you consider at my age.:D.

BTW. I have many "Yummie Mummies" admiring the Clio. So be prepared when selling to a woman with her kids wanting to try it out for access when it comes to sell?:nono:

Cheers.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
im sure ive said this almost as much as roy has said '197s dont have the pace to warrent a cup spoiler' but... ly/ag/ are hardly subtle, so they can warrent the cup spoiler. the other colours are subtle enough to get away with the smaller less in your face spoilers.

theres no point in buying a bright yellow car and trying to be subtle... IMO

although roy drives a FRS, with dat wing, and that anti social road presence. yes i know its quicker than a clio. its also chavvier.