ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 brakes

Cars just been to a Renault Service centre to have the wheels changed under warranty, and they provide a 25 point check etc.

Anyway, recently my brakes have felt a bit soft and so I thought I needed new front pads and discs soon as they have done 20k now anyway. The service centre has said though though that fronts are fine, and that its the rears that are needing changing.

Couple questions on this:

Is it normal for the rears to need doing first?

Would the rears needing changing have much of an affect on the brake feel/force? I always thought the rears on the 197 didnt really do much?

Will probably have a look myself tomorrow and see if they have just made up the readings or not, lol.

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
odd that the rears would wear, especially before the fronts, prob the renault monkeys trying it on....

clio
may be that the rears had a fair bit less meat on to start with? either that or someone was doin a few handies in the carpark during your last service!

Lee

BMW M2C
Mine was the same. My rears were shot, brakes and pads but my fronts still have 50% left on them. The 197 is heavily braked from the rear.

clio sport f1 r27
Well my brakes have felt prety shite for a long time but just got used to it / never noticed over time just got red stuff fitted and it's night and day over pads it came with so chances are Ur back is doing more work than it would need to with decent pads up front my opinion any how :p

mark that statement makes little to no sense. Changing the pads up front does not make any difference to the distribution of brake force...

260% JCW
The fronts would normaly need doing first, Its Renault taking the piss.

Just whip the wheel off and check the thickness of both pads either side.

260% JCW
BMW rung me when the Mini need'd a service,

Told me for £456 they would sort my front brakes out for me. Got it home and there's plenty of meat left on them.

clio sport f1 r27
mark that statement makes little to no sense. Changing the pads up front does not make any difference to the distribution of brake force...

Yeh but surly if the front pads are twice as good as before it will stop quicker and require less braking saving the rear pads as well ?

260% JCW
Doesn't matter what pads you put up front the brake bias/pressure will stay the same on the rear

A Sticky caliper, or incorrectly fitted pads may accelerate wear.