ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Cup problem - Warranty claim?

Glacier White 197 Cup
I bought a 197 Cup with standard antracite wheels two weeks ago and love it to bits. However when cleaning the car the other day I spotted a small bubble of corrosion on one of the spokes of the front wheel. Now being two years old this car is still in warrenty. Has any one experienced a similar problem and did they have any luck at the dealers replacing the wheel for a new one?

Secondly when looking at the other wheels more closely I noticed that where the back of the spoke and the side of the spoke meet, there is paint missing and a rough edge on the majority of the spokes. Has anyone experiened or seen this on these wheels, and did they have any luck at the dealers replacing the wheel for a new one for this reason alone?

Any feedback and help will be much appriciated. I don't want to go to the dealers and be fobbed off. I feel that if other people have had success it will make my case stronger.

Cheers

Westy. MX5
They should fix it as it would come under the corrosion warranty, as long as the surface of the paint hasn't been chipped or scratched. Corrosion warranties are only honoured if the corrosion comes from inside the panel or in your case from the metal surface of the wheel. The sharp edges on the other wheels are really a quality issue and would come under the normal warranty but perhaps all new wheels look like this.

Dodgy one
I will put money on its had a smart repair to get it on the pitch, You wont get it replaced with a new wheel and probrably struggle to get it repaired,

Westy. MX5
Makes no difference which dealer he bought it from, the Renault warranty is transferrable, all he has to do is go to a Franchised dealer.

Who will then almost certainly try to wriggle out of it. He'll be lucky to find one that will just replace it without question.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Who will then almost certainly try to wriggle out of it. He'll be lucky to find one that will just replace it without question.

this ^^

renault are notoriously BAD with any claim around wheels, & corrosion- generally passing the blame onto the owner -- saying that a to abrasive cleaner has been used-

I found a way round this by purchasing a bottle of renault wheel cleaner once a year to use as ammunition to fight this-

Unlikely though most people would have thought of that - its a sad state of affairs when it comes to doing drastic measures just to get a warrenty claim-
they seem to fair better with the recaro upholstery etc-

S

///M135i
I had the same with the mk3 1.2 I had from new (2007) every wheel was bubbling and the lacquer was peeling off. They tried saying I cleaned them to often and using the wrong cleaner. Took it in they had a look and told me to come back in a month ended up dragging on for 6 months until I sold it for the 182. Moan like f**k and you will get somewhere ;)

I had this with my 197, dealers agreed wheels were corroding and not due to external damage, they advised that ruk would pay to have them refurbished.

Clio 1970000000
I think this is a common thing with Renault. My 197 alloys are corroded but I'm out of warranty now. I bought the car before the warranty ran out and had plenty of work done including new Brembo's. You need a garage that will fight your cause.

Glacier White 197 Cup
To give an update on where I am up to, I went to my local dealer yesterday and was told strangely that all their corrosion related warranty issues are dealt with the ford body shop dealership down the road. So off I trotted down there. They agreed that the wheel needed sorting, however were only prepared to put a case to Renault on the basis of repairing the wheel (refurbish) rather than replacing. Now I thought to myself obviously they are only going to put the argument forward to Renault to honour the warranty because it means money for them. Replacing the wheel would mean very little turnover for them. I asked why he wouldn't put a case forward to replace the wheel and he said with it being so minimal it would be cheaper for Renault to pay to get it repaired and its unlikely that they will replace it.

So he is putting a report together and sending to the Renault UK to see whether they will honour it to be repaired. But I thought to myself if they is an issue with the wheel which there is, no matter how small, shouldn't Renault just replace it. Personally I feel I should contact Renault UK and see what they say or should I be happy that they are prepared to repair it? What are other peoples views?

Fiesta STripes
If you are a member on there, add your reg number to that post too, the more reg numbers we have, the more weight we can add :)

Da

Less
I'd contact RUK mate, I have their number if you want it?

I had my warranty issues resolved without problem but I was still in contact with a lady from RUK who made it quite clear they didn't want their "flagship model's" reputation tainted by an un-cooperative Dealer.

Fiesta STripes
I have been on the phone to them for the last 5 weeks and all they said was "it's with warranty department"

I have been advised that because they are taking so long, to send them a letter informing them they have 5 days to deal with the issue, otherwise the credit card transaction for the purcahse of the car will be disputed!!

Glacier White 197 Cup
http://clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2088

I am fighting them as we speak. Luckily I paid for the car on a Barclaycard, so I can dispute the transaction as they are not honouring the corrosion warranty!

Hi, just had a quick read of you thread. Where abouts are you up to with the fight, and is this at dealer level or Ren UK? Are u fighting for them to be repaired or replaced, or would you be happy with either outcome?

Da

Less
Mine was resolved very easily - to cut a long story short they replaced the drivers seat in my 182 as the stitching had split. When I got the car back I noticed that the RenaultSport stitching on the new seat was a different colour to the old seat.... So in the end they replaced both seats and I was happy with that :approve:

Fiesta STripes
Hi, just had a quick read of you thread. Where abouts are you up to with the fight, and is this at dealer level or Ren UK? Are u fighting for them to be repaired or replaced, or would you be happy with either outcome?

The dealer can't do anything as they are waiting for warranty.

Ren UK are also only saying "It's with warranty"

I just want it fixed as it is getting worse....not worried about repaired or replaced tbh!

Abarth 500 Essesse
You will struggle to get the wheel replaced, i had problems having a wheel replaced for poor paintwork with my brand new car, never mind a 2 year old car. At first they re-furbed it, i decided the refurb wasn't good enough and after many phone calls and arguments it was finally replaced, but only due to the appalling service i received overall. Not because of the warranty.

Chris

A new rim will be just as likely to corrode as the old one. Renault never address quality issues. A refurb will be more robust than OE. Go for that if you can.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Problem is with a refurb unless it looks identical to the orginials it looks out of place, then it's a question of Renualt providing a new set or doing the other 3.

Da

Less
Sorry to be thick but how does buying on a BarclayCard aid your case?

I could understand if you'd bought a ringer or something...but this is a warranty issue?
Are you saying that if Renault don't replace your wheels you are going to hand the car back and dispute the transaction? :S

Fiesta STripes
Sorry to be thick but how does buying on a BarclayCard aid your case?

I could understand if you'd bought a ringer or something...but this is a warranty issue?
Are you saying that if Renault don't replace your wheels you are going to hand the car back and dispute the transaction? :S

I paid for the car on a Barclaycard, it is protected under the consumer credit act, the transaction can be disputed because the company I bought it off - Renault - are not honouring their own anti-corrosion warranty(where they have repaired other peoples wheels under warranty already), and because of the fact it was bought on credit, all the time they won't honour it, I don't have to pay for it (even though it has already been paid off in full).

And I have already disputed the transaction once with barclaycard after the dealer refused to fix all the problems that came with the car. One call to Barclaycard, the money was removed from Renault, and the dealer were very very prompt in getting EVERYTHING with the car fixed.

That is the beauty of paying for things by credit card, you are protected!