ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 cylinder head journal damage

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I have a 197 cylinder head which I would like to use in a new engine build over the winter, but I'm not sure if the damage to the cam journal's means the head is scrap or if it can be repaired.

There are only 2 journal's which are marked 1 on the exhaust cam and 1 on the inlet cam and they are both in-line .

Has anyone ever had damage like this repaired or is it not worth the effort??

Santaponsa2014192_zpsb3c83da1.jpg

Santaponsa2014190_zpsda2267f7.jpg

Santaponsa2014193_zps9128b396.jpg

Machine the face of the top and rocker cover to close up journals and then line bore through. I can put you in touch with someone who can probably do it but it's not quick or cheap

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Time isn't really a factor but its good to hear its not scrap. if you have any contact details it will start the ball rolling .Thanks

any idea's why the damage is all on one cylinder inlet/exhaust as all other journals are as new

ourboy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
@Fred -is the deep track which can be seen in the pic damage or oe (ie. an oil channel?) as I have no other 197 heads to compare it too

Lionel Richie
The groove is from debris coming out the oil hole on the cam, sand it smooth and run it (check the cams are smooth round the oil holes!) Nowt to worry about! Others will call me the anti Christ for suggesting it, but that will make zero difference!