ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Engine conversion

1.2 16valve sport
Would a 197 engine/gearbox fit into the mark 2 shell? i had a serch but couldnt find anything.

Thanks Olly :cool:

1.2 16valve sport
ok thankyou im doing a conversion and im debating what engine to choosing in terms of power, reliability and work involved.

So far ive got

172/182
1.8 16v
Renault 5 Gt turbo :)

ITB'd MK1
ok thankyou im doing a conversion and im debating what engine to choosing in terms of power, reliability and work involved.

So far ive got

172/182
1.8 16v
Renault 5 Gt turbo :)

bin the 5 GTT off IMO. Old hat. They make power but you can do better.

I'm a bit of a fan of the F7P (1.8 valver lump) in tuned form. Awkward to work on though, personally it would only be an option with ITBs. The F4R (172/182) is a great engine. The conversion is sometimes a little on the obvious side, but as a straight drop in, that's no bad thing i guess

I'd be tempted to look at 197/830 head on 172/730 bottom end. Then make use of the 197 inlet manifold.

Cheers
M

1.2 16valve sport
ye i was going to go for the volvo, but then decided against it as im guessing it will return shocking mpg, and the sources for engines are so unreliable.

I really like the 1.8 16v idea in a mark 2 shell, but im wondering about what the wirings going to be like.
The engine wont be left standard as every pay check will get splashed into bhp.

1.2 16valve sport
a 4efte would be to much work lol maybe on my next project. Would be fookin interesting ive started to look into it. Will talk to my boss/mechanic tomorrow

E36 M3. 182
would the 197 engine not fit if you used a 172 gearbox on it??? similar idea to icarus' but youd only have to split the engine/gearbox, rather than rebuild the engine to raise the compression ratio??
Or maybe a cammed, mapped twingo k4m???

830 block is different. You could drill the block to accept the JC box but why bother? It's less bother just to stick some forged pistons in with a fairly high CR and a set of R3 cams - mapped correctly that'll give around 230bhp, with 230bhp held from 7200RPM to 7800RPM.

Cheers
M

MK3 Dci & Sinclair c5
If your tight on cash a b18ft is a cheap way to moderate power figures. Your best idea would be to buy a running 440/80 mot fail then you have all the parts you need.

ValverInBits
Think about this carefully.

a 1.8 16v is going to be the cheapest way to go for sure. even the best ones are around £200 and normally with a gearbox. But it's still only 137bhp. It's not a lot, especially in a MK2.
Williams engine would be a little better. bit more power, and more torque. In fact you could try and source the whole setup with ECU from a megane.

An F4R conversion is next in price. It's going to be a genuinely worthwhile performance gain.
As for the Starlet and VAG conversions mentioned, Don't start unless your really determined and have a lot of time, bit of fabrication experience, and extra cash to be spending on stuff like management/turbos/and SO so much more. Both of these will be at least twice as much as an F4R conversion.

When it comes down to it though, are you doing it because you'll enjoy the conversion or just because you want to go faster? If you just want to go faster then definitely just go out and buy a 172Ph1

1.2 16valve sport
no i enjoy working on cars, ive done loads of bike conversions ect myself for free on bikes i dont even own.

Obiously i want to go faster but thats not the main reason.

its either going to be 1.8 16v or 172 engine money comes in at end of month so i will be buying one of the 2 then.

Listerine & Poledo
Steviet:
Is that the Twingo GT engine? What kind of output could that put out, I've seen 120bhp from just a chip, but can another 100 come out of it?

Would the smaller engine mean the handling could be improved too?

E36 M3. 182
Not a clue pal, just putting the idea out there. iirc Mini-valver is the only guy on here to have put much effort into tuning one, but apparently had quite good results. As has been discussed before, the problem with tuning the k4m is the lack of parts available off the shelf and the lack of demand for performance parts/tuning on them. This makes it a bit pricey to tune, compared to f4r, f7p etc......

ITB'd MK1
Not a clue pal, just putting the idea out there. iirc Mini-valver is the only guy on here to have put much effort into tuning one, but apparently had quite good results. As has been discussed before, the problem with tuning the k4m is the lack of parts available off the shelf and the lack of demand for performance parts/tuning on them. This makes it a bit pricey to tune, compared to f4r, f7p etc......

There's actually more for the K4M than you'd think, and there's even more that can be modified to fit with a bit of lateral thinking.

old shape Twingo with k4m conversion, running bike throttle bodies on a "not great" bogg brothers manifold, "interesting" downpipe, and completely stock internals made 126bhp and 120 lb/ft with a huge torque increase in the mid-range. A better set of ITBs (yes they can be made to fit ;) )and some cams and it would be properly impressive