ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Gearbox in a 182 :S

BG 182cup
Hi I've been told by someone this is possible but I was under the impression that the bolt pattern etc was different??!

Can Anyone advise please??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Possible, but certainly not easy, you would need to redrill the engine where the gearbox mounts to it, make custom mounts, and make custom shafts, and even then I would expect clearance issues.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Is a 6th cog really needed in a 1*2? The only time you would ever need is the motorway and they will already do 40+mpg at motorway speeds?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is a 6th cog really needed in a 1*2? The only time you would ever need is the motorway and they will already do 40+mpg at motorway speeds?

If you do a lot of motorway work and have a ph2 then just fit a ph1 box, its a few hundred RPM less at cruising speed.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
less reliable box? lol behave theres nothing wrong with it, its a massive upgrade over a JC5 in feel alone!.
of course abuse it and it will die just as quick as your JC5 would!

where the box is nicer, the ratios and 6 speed were really only to offset the weight of the 197/200 I bet a 172 in 5th and a 200 in 6th are around the same rpm at 70mph!

BG 182cup
Possible, but certainly not easy, you would need to redrill the engine where the gearbox mounts to it, make custom mounts, and make custom shafts, and even then I would expect clearance issues.

Ok Cheers Chip :)) , has anyone done this already do we know??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fred has put a megane turbo engine and box in, which is essentially the same job, other than you also need to redrill your block (or use a 197 engine which is what I would do as its a better unit anyway)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I have both on my driveway. 6th in a 197 at 70 is doing more revs than the 172.

The 197 box is much nicer to use though, i'll give you that!

Is yours a Ph1 box still?

If so its a few hundred RPM less at 70 than the Ph2 box is.

Ph2 box is more similar to the 197 IIRC

Lionel Richie
Hey Dude, Besides the obvious fouling and custom shafts etc is this relativly straightforward?? dropping the F4R-T in??

yeah it sort of bolts straight in, its the £700 custom driveshafts, and about £1500 of custom fabrication that is a pain (plus electronics)

Clio 200 Cup
Hate to be devils advocate, but why not use a 197/200 engine bolted to a 172/182 gearbox?
The 1*2 is lighter, so you probably dont need 6 ratios (I use 3 gears at oulton in a 200, 2 gears in a 172)

Have I missed the point?

Lotus Elise
Hate to be devils advocate, but why not use a 197/200 engine bolted to a 172/182 gearbox?
The 1*2 is lighter, so you probably dont need 6 ratios (I use 3 gears at oulton in a 200, 2 gears in a 172)

Have I missed the point?

you want to use as many gears as possible on track. Shorter the ratios the better providing you're not bouncy off the limiter on the longest straight.

197 box has shorter ratios so I can see the attraction.