ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 head on 172

Hi, there been years im not visiting this forum, it's really good!

im building a 172 engine block with 197 head, i drilled the timming roller hole and everything is ok.

the question is about the VVT system. I believed that it was only necesary to use the 197 dephaser and vvt solenoid to get it to work but searching it seems to be a totally different systems. What is the best thing to do? i read that the best thing is use the dephaser and solenoid of the 172 and invert the way of the ecu activates it (12v+ in idle and then shut off at 1600 rpm). But other users says that is only necesary to use the 172 vvt solenoid and dephaser without modifications...

Anyone did this before? is there any chance to use the 197 dephaser ? (the 172 one is broken and i have to buy one if i cant use the 197 one).

Thanks

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I was (I think) the first person to install a 197 head on a 172 block and run the fully variable vvt that the 197/200 runs. I ran the 197 dephaser and solenoid along with a gen90. You need to change the aspect file in the gen90 to get it to run the full vvt, but that’s something you would need to contact ktec about.

It worked well for me combined with R3 maxi internals and the carbon R3 maxi evo airbox. 230/181 👍🏻

I was (I think) the first person to install a 197 head on a 172 block and run the fully variable vvt that the 197/200 runs. I ran the 197 dephaser and solenoid along with a gen90. You need to change the aspect file in the gen90 to get it to run the full vvt, but that’s something you would need to contact ktec about.

It worked well for me combined with R3 maxi internals and the carbon R3 maxi evo airbox. 230/181 👍🏻

What is gen 90?

Looking the 197 head it have a inlet camshaft sensor, did you plug that to the ecu? what if I install the 197 ecu file in my ecu? if I install the 197 dephaser and 197 vvt solenoid with a stock ecu (172) file what happen? i dont truly want the fully variable vvt to work but i want to conserve the 197 dephaser and solenoid.....

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
What is gen 90?

Looking the 197 head it have a inlet camshaft sensor, did you plug that to the ecu? what if I install the 197 ecu file in my ecu? if I install the 197 dephaser and 197 vvt solenoid with a stock ecu (172) file what happen? i dont truly want the fully variable vvt to work but i want to conserve the 197 dephaser and solenoid.....
Gen90 is a ecu mate.

I don’t know what would happen if you install the 197 file into the 172 ecu - if it’s even possible.

Clio Sport 2 172
197VVT dephaser full engaged change intake cams position about 45degree, 172VVT dephaser do it only 16degree.