ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 not starting

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Updating the op as per post #4

Accelerating up a hill, almost to the redline. Car cuts out. Says select neutral.

When I try to start it it tries to start, turns over but won't Rev or start.

Took the crank sensor off tonight and it's destroyed. Pics to follow.

This ruined the day at oulton lol.

Cheers.

Last edited:
  330i. E30 Touring.
Take the intake off, get a spray bottle and manually spray fuel into the TB. See if it fires.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Right, got round to changing the crank sensor tonight after having it diagnosed as such.

When I popped the undertray off a wire fell on me, weird. It turns out it was the wire that plugs into the crank sensor. Brilliant I thought.

Plugged that back in, turned the ignition on to let the car adjust, tried to start it. Nothing.

Unplugged the battery, left it for a while, repeated the above, still nothing.

Decided to change the crank sensor for the new one. I removed the old crank sensor and holy hell it was destroyed.

It looks like someone took a hacksaw to it! I'll upload a pic later when my phone turns on.

What could've caused something inside the gearbox to chew through the crank sensor? I heard no crunch, knocks or bangs before or after it went, and still when I try and turn it over it makes no grinding/crunching/untoward noises.

Does anyone have any idea where to go from here?

@JamesBryan I thought you'd like an update lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Right, got round to changing the crank sensor tonight after having it diagnosed as such.

When I popped the undertray off a wire fell on me, weird. It turns out it was the wire that plugs into the crank sensor. Brilliant I thought.

Plugged that back in, turned the ignition on to let the car adjust, tried to start it. Nothing.

Unplugged the battery, left it for a while, repeated the above, still nothing.

Decided to change the crank sensor for the new one. I removed the old crank sensor and holy hell it was destroyed.

It looks like someone took a hacksaw to it! I'll upload a pic later when my phone turns on.

What could've caused something inside the gearbox to chew through the crank sensor? I heard no crunch, knocks or bangs before or after it went, and still when I try and turn it over it makes no grinding/crunching/untoward noises.

Does anyone have any idea where to go from here?

@JamesBryan I thought you'd like an update lol
The damage could've been caused by anything mate tbh. Bit of debris that made its way in, or signs of a clutch failing.

Is it a runner now?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The damage could've been caused by anything mate tbh. Bit of debris that made its way in, or signs of a clutch failing.

Is it a runner now?

Brilliant lol.

It's not, I didn't want to fit the new sensor in case that one got eaten too. That'll be a box off job to check to check what flew off then :(

I'm going to try and turn it over by hand to see if the fly wheel is fucked if I can

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Any idea how this could've popped off on top of the undertray?
image.jpeg

Did not expect that
image.jpeg

Also, there seemed to be oil on the casing, hopefully it's just the remnants of its last oil change, I couldn't see a leak or anything
image.jpeg

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Something's had a good go at that, time to open it up unfortunately.

PH2 172
I don't know, I had it turned it over while looking at the flywheel and it didn't look to be running off centre at all.

I'll try the new sensor tomorrow and see what happens

Does the old sensor smell burnt?
As PURE SPECULATION,what happens if the sensor wiring connector becomes disconnected at high revs?Detonation will keep the engine running if the throttle body does not shut down?,so what happens to the current generated in the sensor with nowhere to go to ground?
Guess it boils down to risking the cost of the new sensor v a box off job?

Clio 197
Where did you get the replacement sensor from mate? I've been looking for one but can't find any for the 197.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
That's well fucked! I never saw mine when it got changed. Fingers crossed its just this and nothing more serious.

clio 197
Well if this any comfort I had the exact same problem,
my sensor had looked like it had been sliced or hit but not quite as bad as yours this was about a year ago no problems since...

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Well if this any comfort I had the exact same problem,
my sensor had looked like it had been sliced or hit but not quite as bad as yours this was about a year ago no problems since...

That's brilliant news.

I'll keep an eye on it and if it happens again I'll look into getting it apart :(

Single mass flywheel and lsd while I'm at it lol?

clio 197
Yeah that's all you can do
I checked mine about a month ago when I did a oil change looked fine.Like you it happened when I took it to the redline lol...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited: