ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 power

Turbo LY R27
Hey everyone. Just wonderin on a few peoples opinions. Some people on here say the 197 is down on power compared to the 182. I used to own a 182 and drove a few examples and mine was the best one i drove, no probs with it. My R27 feels quicker than my 182 without question, power is more accessable, loads of tourqe and feels much more grunty and feels like the faster you go the more power/acceleration just keeps coming! I love the car, best car ive ever driven.

Does any one on here that has made the change from the 17/182 to a 197/R27 feel the same as me?
Just seems some people have had different experiances in the car and just wonderin why? I think the 197 is a step up in everyway, power, tourqe, handling brakes etc. Could mine be a really good example?

What ya think?:)

Mike

Tangoed Works
lol, either that or youve got used to the slowness... joking aside, it may feel that way because its a heavier car, and when you have momentum on your side and keeping the revs in the sweet zone, i can fully understand what you are saying. In reality there is feck all between the 1*2 and 197, apart from the fact the 197 has better handling and build quality.

Turbo LY R27
Yeah not much in it i agree. But it just feels like wants to keep goin and with so much pull. My 182 was quick but didnt feel like this. Cant understand why people think they are slow when they really aint at all. ( Dont worry i know you were joking):) Thing is its not much up on power and tourqe really from the 182, but the way the power is spread accross the rev range is much stronger and potent on mine. It is a heavier car, but not that much really, it certainly dont feel like it to drive, and considering the 15bhp increase over the 182 its done bloody well.
I think it would be awsome at about220 bhp, be a right animal. I definatly wanna hit that figure when more mods come out. Hope Morego bring out a conversion for the 197 like they did for the 182 to make it a 202.:)

Tangoed Works
yeah, i may be doing some power mods this summer. remap, exhaust, inlets etc just to help it breathe better. im sure with the remap it will give it the even surge of power rather than the peakyness it has atm.

in all honesty id be happy with an extra 10 bhp and 15-20 lb/ft. We see what happens when i get it done.

Im sure the same mods will make the 197 feel that extra bit urgent as well and much livelier. With these cars you just need that extra bit of torque to get them moving a little bit easier.

Yeah not much in it i agree. But it just feels like wants to keep goin and with so much pull. My 182 was quick but didnt feel like this. Cant understand why people think they are slow when they really aint at all. ( Dont worry i know you were joking):) Thing is its not much up on power and tourqe really from the 182, but the way the power is spread accross the rev range is much stronger and potent on mine. It is a heavier car, but not that much really, it certainly dont feel like it to drive, and considering the 15bhp increase over the 182 its done bloody well.
I think it would be awsome at about220 bhp, be a right animal. I definatly wanna hit that figure when more mods come out. Hope Morego bring out a conversion for the 197 like they did for the 182 to make it a 202.:)

Don't think anyone thinks they are slow (a little tall perhaps ;)), however some people on here think the 255 is slow too ;)

On paper they are slightly slower than the 182, with less bhp per tonne and less torque per tonne, but I guess the low gearing helps a little.....but we all enjoy our new cars when we first get them, yes?

Would be an great car with the 225 meggy engine, shame Renault didn't do that really.....may have bought myself if they had :)

Simon

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hey everyone. Just wonderin on a few peoples opinions. Some people on here say the 197 is down on power compared to the 182. I used to own a 182 and drove a few examples and mine was the best one i drove, no probs with it. My R27 feels quicker than my 182 without question, power is more accessable, loads of tourqe and feels much more grunty and feels like the faster you go the more power/acceleration just keeps coming! I love the car, best car ive ever driven.

Does any one on here that has made the change from the 17/182 to a 197/R27 feel the same as me?
Just seems some people have had different experiances in the car and just wonderin why? I think the 197 is a step up in everyway, power, tourqe, handling brakes etc. Could mine be a really good example?

What ya think?:)

Mike

Agree. I've had the 197 three weeks now. I had a 172 cup for 2.5 yrs and a 182 for 7 months. I loved my cup, looks, feel, everything about it. Then came to the 182, it just didnt seem to push the right buttons imo. The 197 i just love. The 197 has a MUCH superior seating posision, and the gearbox is awesome, lovely feel and short throw. I also love the looks....... diffuser, and its stance...... much more road presence than the MK2's. However, i do feel there is a slight dead spot in my 197 around 3kish, but as we know with the MK2's they do loosen up nicely with more milage. ( mines done 12k)In out right pace there is nothing between them, i even get a 5k kick in mine too :approve: Its deffo an upgrade in everyway, they even sound good as standard!!!! I only have plans to lower it, as i think it looks a bit 'leggy' lol

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
Been out with an R27 today, there's bugger all in it where it matters (i.e. on the twisties), but imo it's easier to go quick in the 197 cos the chassis is better. Quite a lot better tbh, but that's what makes the 182 feel so lively compared to most other things - the fact that it's less stable. But in answer to the original question; NO, it's no slower. And if I'm honest, if I could've afforded it I would have had an R27 over my 182. Unless the mid-20s mpg figures put me off...

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The 197 is a better car than the 172/182 in every regard. Except one. And unfortunately its one that's the most important thing to people who want performance. Its a lot heavier. And the same engine has to drag that weight around. If it had only been a little bit heavier it would have been a great car. People on this site would have been cheering loudly and competing to be first to trade in their 172s and 182s. As it stands its a great car with a major shortcoming.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
there is no real difference in their 0-60 times both are bout the same, the big difference is the handling and braking, I have only been drivin our 182 for the last couple of weeks and last night I went out in the R27, I forgot how much better is goes round corners.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The 197 is a better car than the 172/182 in every regard. Except one. And unfortunately its one that's the most important thing to people who want performance. Its a lot heavier. And the same engine has to drag that weight around. If it had only been a little bit heavier it would have been a great car. People on this site would have been cheering loudly and competing to be first to trade in their 172s and 182s. As it stands its a great car with a major shortcoming.

News to me? Last time i looked it had a stated output of 194 hp? And even if it doesnt make that, neither did the 182 ;)

As stated before i've had a standard 182 and 197 side by side (mate driving said 197) and there really is nothing in it.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
funky-munky's R27 made 180 sumthing bhp a few months bk, and that was on 900 or so miles i think.

once they loosen up they'll make 197bhp easy, some ppl might get that magic 200 figure, lol.

ST
IMO you've got to have owned or at least driven both 172/182 and 197 to make a decent judgement..

I've owned both 182 and now have an R27..

Overall the 197 is the better car in terms of fun factor, build quality and drive...

Last edited:
Renault will never make a genuine 200bhp out of that lump in NA tune as long as they have a hole up their ass. I'm commenting on just that and nothing else ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
IMO you've got to have owned or at least driven both 172/182 and 197 to make a decent judgement..

Overall the 197 is the better car in terms of fun factor, build quality and drive...

I had all :cool: . 172 cup was the best MK2 imo :approve:

Clio 172 mk2

Says ot all, and from a 197 owner as well.

I've never driven one but have had a close look inside & out and TBH it's miles ahead of the 182 in looks and build

Golf R

yup, had a couple of Trophy's, regularly drove a 182FF and also owned a PH-Quick too (albeit for a short time). The game has moved on massively, handling, brakes and overall feel has improved :approve:

cock mobile.

yup, had a couple of Trophy's, regularly drove a 182FF and also owned a PH-Quick too (albeit for a short time). The game has moved on massively, handling, brakes and overall feel has improved :approve:

Completely agree.

R27 (haven't driven a std 197) far superior to any 1*2.

End.

Turbo LY R27

Agree mate!:) Exactly what i was thinkin.

VaVa
Steering feel is gay in the 197. It wasn't exactly overly communicative in the mk2 Clios mind, but definitely worse in the Mk3's. Although that's something I guess you'll get used over time.

cock mobile.
185.5 with about 650 miles on it ;)

197ps not 197 bhp remember too :rasp:

Yeah but to be fair, that still falls short by 10bhp which is pretty bad regardless of mileage IMO. Rolling road accuracy aside I guess :)

It was on a highly accurate / trusted DD RR so that's about the most accurate reading you'll ever get.

Personally I'd be happy with that result, few more miles it should certainly see 190 bhp; will probably never make the 197PS, but I'm sure Funky knows that (not that we should be missold cars in this way)

197 is a better car than the 172/182. 100% fact.

Don't start saying my itb'd coillied 172 smoked a 100% stock 197 argument either because its f**king gay.

Clio 197 R27
not really ar5ed about 0.1 of a sec here and 5 bhp there, thats not why i bought it.
looks, performance (compared with other new cars for similar price), build quality and handling are all factors i took into consideration.

Clio 172 mk2
Renault definately going in the right direction with the 197 (and RS Megane) I think it'll be good if they can get rid of the bad rep. for build etc that they've had for many years now as the do make stonking engines.

clio 197 (R27)
ive had the lot williams/172/v6/182/197/197 r27 i wouldnt go back to the 182 if you payed me. 197 100% better:)

Not slower in the real world though.

Just a myth made up by jealous 172 owners.

Slower in my world. The one where I'm in the car driving it. It feels slower to me and isn't even good on the motorway either. Around corners it's a lot better, but I don't spend my life hooning around corners like Tiff. Great car, just a little lacking in punch for me, and it doesn't suit my current driving habbits :) However, this thread is just about the power really - it needs more and I think we all agree. However, it's not a perfect world and we cannot always have what we want.

Don't know why you bother with clios at all then.

Personally speaking if I knew I was going to drive on autobahns all the time I'd get some 3.0 diesel bmw that'll do 155mph day in day out.