ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197: What do you think?

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
Not sure i would trust the power claim from a stage 2? remap but its a good looking motor. Mpg isnt great for how quick they are and gearbox's are a weak point at nearly any mileage, i had a box fixed on a 182 and it cost a grand. The only Renaultsport i would own out of warranty would be a ph1 purely because they are cheap.

Thanks for your thoughts. Im not bothered about the legitimacy of hp. But what about cambelt should it have been replaced? And do you think I wld get a cup chassis and recaros for £6500 max?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Also, why wld it have a flat spot?

They have one from the factory, which is made very much worse by a decat.

Yes. the belt is due this year (depending on when it was registered I suppose, sept onwards) Thats going to set you back £450ish so is definately a bartering point.

Yes, you can pick up something with Recaros and the cup chassis in your budget (I did, I got an R27 a couple of months back) you just have to be patient. HOWEVER (I know this won't go down well with CUP and Recaro owners) They are NOT that important.

Std seats are fine, and wear better. The std suspension set up is much more fogiving and better for everyday driving. In my opinion of course.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'll second why Chris said about the recaros; they aren't a must. I was shocked at how supportive the standard seats are... However, I got them because recaro.

Cant comment on the cup chassis but I suspect if your a pansy it wont agree with you day to day.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
If you moan about the 197's Cup Chassis option, you'd hate a 200. Lol.

I drove from Le Mans to Manchester in one sitting... I almost regretted that option. Almost.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Isn't it the same chassis/car/ride?

The only thing I have to complain about the cup chassis is when you need a piss, every little bump is like a punch in the bladder lol

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
20% stiffer springs, different dampers and revised steering rack on the Cupped 200 over a Cupped 197/R27.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Will do if you're about at Trafford sometime over the weekend?

Or if you fancy that meet on Thursday? See the NW meets section dude. :)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Recaros are 100% important-

Not because they are much better, the standard seats are indeed nice & comfy- however 197's arent very good to sell & you want something desirable otherwise it will sit there-

If a 197 has got worn recaros budget £200 for repair.

Its the same as cup chassis, not a HUGE leap better, but again helps with the resale-

in 2 years time ( or so) these cars will be exactly like the 182's are now... there arent many people on here wanting non cup packed versions of them-
( obviously the caveat is there is SOME demand for every model- however the specced Cup chassis ones will always be more desirable-
but pro rata the original purchase price & depreciation costings will probably net be the same-
Its just how long something will take to sell when you come to sell it-

Steve

Thanks for all your feedback. I am going for a test drive tomorrow, how can I look out for the flat spot? Just plant it and wait for a delay or is it harder to spot?

I already have the guy down to £6,300 before I've even looked at the car, so surely if the cambelts haven't been changed I can get him down a bit more :p

I am also VERY concerned that the gearbox is due going, as I am a student and if it went I would have no way of paying for a new one! Could I claim through insurance? And what is the best way to spot a bad box? Once again I appreciate all feedback.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all your feedback. I am going for a test drive tomorrow, how can I look out for the flat spot? Just plant it and wait for a delay or is it harder to spot?

I already have the guy down to £6,300 before I've even looked at the car, so surely if the cambelts haven't been changed I can get him down a bit more :p

I am also VERY concerned that the gearbox is due going, as I am a student and if it went I would have no way of paying for a new one! Could I claim through insurance? And what is the best way to spot a bad box? Once again I appreciate all feedback.

if i were you and being a student i wouldnt be buying a 197, purely as you have said you have zero money to pay for anything should the worst happen then you are stuffed. id look at a trophy imo

work for BMW
Definitely don't get a 197 if your a student with no more money for repairs..
go for a 182 for 3k-3.5 with plents monies left over

It's bad when a car is that unreliable that you have to compensate an extra few grand incase it breaks down!!!

Went to see the car today, cam belt had not been changed and gear box was rattling especially when sitting idle?!

Think I'll get a Jap, shame really as I like the 197 and no one has them where I live.