ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197vR26

Black 197
Ive just been looking on youtube for 197's and R26's, and viewed both on fifth gear posts. The standard 197 lapped the same track as the R26 1.5 seconds slower. Over several laps thats quite a lot, but still thought it would be a lot slower due to suspension set up, bhp, and turbo. Wonder whether an R27 would close the gap???

MG ZS180 Mk2
Track And Race Cars magazine time the following:
R26 - 1:24.93
R27- 1:25.51

Not that much in it. They reckon with LSD (not the drug) and more damping it would match the R26.

ive been told theres not much difference between the 197 and R27 apart from the interior and decals

the whole workings of the car are the same apparantly

(waits for every1 on CS to lynch me lol)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
ive been told theres not much difference between the 197 and R27 apart from the interior and decals

the whole workings of the car are the same apparantly

(waits for every1 on CS to lynch me lol)

R27 has the cup suspension.

Dan

dk

911 GTS Cab
Track And Race Cars magazine time the following:
R26 - 1:24.93
R27- 1:25.51

Not that much in it. They reckon with LSD (not the drug) and more damping it would match the R26.
depends on the track really, tight and twisty short track and the R26 loses its edge so will be a closer match, on a long circuit such as an F1 track the R26 would easily have the legs on the 197.

dk

911 GTS Cab
so that means theres a fair chance a 197 cup would match a r26 around a track.
no, it would be closer on a twisty track than a long open one but the R26 would still beat it, although its bigger and more lardy it has the torque an power out of corners and the LSD to keep that power down so it has no trouble.

As the figures above suggest, it would be close ( i think those times were on a short track though) but given a track like spa and the difference is all too obvious, the cup being the same setup as the R27.

But then it is a more expensive car and the flagship renaultsport so you would expect that really.

and cup chassis

i was told by a guy that wrks for reno that thers no diff beyween the original 197 & the R27 which is y they brought out the cup, because a lot of people had said that they didnt notice much difference with the R27 which promted reno to bring out the cup

is that not right?

^They are on about the R26 mate which is a megane. The R27 is the clio

yea i kno the difference between the R26 & R27 but he asked at the beginning would a R27 close the gap on the R26, which is y im sayin what ive been told

Last edited:
  cock mobile.
and cup chassis

i was told by a guy that wrks for reno that thers no diff beyween the original 197 & the R27 which is y they brought out the cup, because a lot of people had said that they didnt notice much difference with the R27 which promted reno to bring out the cup

is that not right?

No; R27 has Cup suspension, which is now on the 197 Cup and available on the std 197 as an option.

Black 197
we'd have to see the R27 v R26, if the standard is only 1.5 secs slower, i think it would be a fun race. The megane must really struggle to put the power down or the extra weight is a problem, unless the 197 is just a better overall handling car? hmmm........ 172 cup v R26.......:S

106 GTi
With the LSD on the R26 it should be able to get the power down, still a fat b*****d though.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
and cup chassis

is that not right?

How many times have you been told the R27 has cup suspension? FFS.

R27 is a FF197 with cup packs esstentialy.