ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 failed MOT :(

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
So stuck the car in for its first MOT today.

Failed on two places

Failed emissions - centre silencer seems to have been removed, causing excess gas to be lost, and therefore triggering the lambada sensor

n/s Track rod end - Excessive play and needs to be replaced :(

So

The exhaust just needs tightening or some webbing or something, but the track rod end?

Help please, who do i talk to get a replacement one? and fastish,

Car has only done 23K :(

Track rod inners went on mine, about £50 each and a pain to change from what I've heard.

Centre silencer will just need tightening, there'll be a leak where it joins.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
1st mot, so at the cars 3year old point? So still under warranty?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
1st mot, so at the cars 3year old point? So still under warranty?

It depends on the exact dates doesn't it. Either way OP you can call cust services and see if they can help you out. No harm in asking. I'd have thought track rod end would come under wear and tear items though.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Doesn't any sensible person get the mot done a month before the cars 3 years old?

Clio RS200
Ours is on 26k so thinking I'll put ours in early now as the MOT needs to be done in May. We extended the warranty when we bought it though, so hopefully it'll be okay and not break the bank too much

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Just picked it back up.
1. Technically it is still under warranty for about 2 more days. I mentioned to my mechanic about warranty, and he said unlikely to be covered as it is a wear and tear part.
2. It is the join that is leaking gasses, from where the silencer has been removed by the previous owner, something I have been contemplating doing but now have no need.

The reason it is only just gone in for its mot as about 2 weeks ago I took it to Renault complaining about the heater fan, to which they responded it was not an issue, and that is when I found out it was due its mot, being first registered 08/03/10. I havent even owned the car a year yet!

Just picked it back up.
1. Technically it is still under warranty for about 2 more days. I mentioned to my mechanic about warranty, and he said unlikely to be covered as it is a wear and tear part.
2. It is the join that is leaking gasses, from where the silencer has been removed by the previous owner, something I have been contemplating doing but now have no need.

The reason it is only just gone in for its mot as about 2 weeks ago I took it to Renault complaining about the heater fan, to which they responded it was not an issue, and that is when I found out it was due its mot, being first registered 08/03/10. I havent even owned the car a year yet!

Welcome to Clio ownership :p

The exhaust should be an easy fix, it'll just need re-sealing and clamping, mine wasn't fit properly but was sorted easily.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
test 1 - actual - 1.055 max limit 1.030

test 2 - actual 1.043 max limit 1.030

Not much, but not much I can do now.

Just asked RUK about track rod ends, and see where it goes, no harm in trying.

RB 200
If my 200 needed a NS TRE I certainly wouldn't be skimping on the white box rubbish places like euro car parts sell. lets face it, you buy a car like ours and it needs something trivial just pop into your local renault dealer and get a proper one. if its £50 its £50 ... its not like thats a fortune - mine drinks more than that a week in V power! longest you'll have to wait is a day if they need to order it too. Renaults prices aren't bad at all either. most of the stuff I buy in for people on here are cheaper than that cheap stuff!

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
No, just abit of a shoddy job, so its not sealed tightly enough = leakage = failure.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
I just love that you didn't know the silencer was missing until it failed it's MOT :D

Never heard another 200 next to it to compare, and im useless

Surely with the exhaust being off by that little, a good thrash could bring that down?

That may have helped, it sounds different (and better) when it is cold, to when it is warm, and as I dropped it off at 9 and the test was done at 11, I doubt it was warm at all, so it is abit more raspy

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Surely with the exhaust being off by that little, a good thrash could bring that down?

no wont effect the lambda reading. sometimes works with CO if the cats not up to temp (cheap after market cats are the worst) . if the emission test is done correctly then by the time they carry out a full cat test after doing a BET test the cat will be hot enough.

its diesels and turbo diesels that really beneficent for a hard thrash before carrying out an emission test.

Black 182 FF
If my 200 needed a NS TRE I certainly wouldn't be skimping on the white box rubbish places like euro car parts sell. lets face it, you buy a car like ours and it needs something trivial just pop into your local renault dealer and get a proper one. if its £50 its £50 ... its not like thats a fortune - mine drinks more than that a week in V power! longest you'll have to wait is a day if they need to order it too. Renaults prices aren't bad at all either. most of the stuff I buy in for people on here are cheaper than that cheap stuff!

You do realise if you do a bit of research, then many of the Eurocarpart parts, are actually OE parts or OE quality? Meaning at times you can cut out the Renault logo and profit and get the same quality of part. Not with everything ofcourse, but in many cases you can. Also, it's not as if much of the Renault stuff is top quality anyway.

In my experience GSF stuff isn't of the same level in as many cases and obviously much of the eBay stuff isn't either, but I've been very impressed with Eurocarparts over the last few years.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
we do loads of track rod ends under warrenty. they shouldnt wear really in the warrenty period.
Accorinding to some kind of renault diagnostic system printout thing they showed me. Anything to do with steering is 100% customer, meaning the customer has to foot the bill.

As for an update:

Well having been given the run around, having to explain myself several times to different people, and never receiving a call backs. Long story short, it aint covered! They class it as normal wear and tear.
So have ordered a new part and have booked it in to get done.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
We done track rod ends, steering arms, wishbones etc under warranty all the time at Renault.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Yeh pm coming across

If they can be done via warranty them RUK will be hearing from me. I have already paid for a part and having it done independently now, but if their is inconsistency in between dealerships then they will be hearing from me about it!

I take it you guys work for renault in some way shape or form?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Yea, i work for Renault, i take it you didnt have it M.O.T 'D at Renault, and i take it that its now out of the 3 year warranty?

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
No had it done at an independent, asked RUK if this would be warranty or not. They then phoned dealership, they asked to see the car to confirm. Confirmed it is not a warranty issue. Won't do anything about it
Expires in about 30 mins

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I put your reg in and does come up as zero due to me doing it out of warranty.
But Monday ill check with a car under warranty.
yeah i work for renault too.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Thank for looking.
I dont know if its possible, but if you have done these on other cars under warranty, do you have a log of them at all? reg number, milage at the time, date the work was done etc. Would like some form of evidence as it were, when I ring RUK and complain about it.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R

Its a Renault Clio, not a Lamborghini Aventador lol

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
So a final update, hopefully.
Got a call this afternoon from RUK, explaining when the dealer checked the car it would have counted as being out of warranty, it expired on the 7/03 at midnight. So when it went in morning of the 8th it was technically out of warranty, thus the reason they say I would have to pay the full cost.
I did explain again that this could have been avoided if the dealer ever gave that call back, which they still haven't.
Anyway, RUK have offered to pay for the cost of the parts as it was only 1 day out of the warranty period and are contributing to the cost of repair, as I had the work carried out at a non Renault garage, they would not pay for labour.
Cant say thats not fair of them, had it all fixed today and have the car back on the road again now :race:happy me :)
Thanks guys for the help and advice

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
You do realise if you do a bit of research, then many of the Eurocarpart parts, are actually OE parts or OE quality? Meaning at times you can cut out the Renault logo and profit and get the same quality of part. Not with everything ofcourse, but in many cases you can. Also, it's not as if much of the Renault stuff is top quality anyway.

In my experience GSF stuff isn't of the same level in as many cases and obviously much of the eBay stuff isn't either, but I've been very impressed with Eurocarparts over the last few years.

Sorry mate but this simply isn't true. I worked for them for 3 months when I lost my old job and needed something to tye me over. I ended up walking out from working for them. Yes they can source good quality parts i.e brembo etc but the research that goes in to that part isn't good at all from there end.

& some of the stuff they stock is outragiously bad, especially radiators.