ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 172 ff and alarms

This may be a silly question but how can i find out if my 172 has an alarm ? ?

Are they standard ?

yeah they are standard i think!

should be a little red LED to the left of the gearstick though if you wana check....

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Like foxy says , the led is " usually " down by the gear stick if its a standard alarm .

Unless its an import , they didn't come fitted with alarms . Mines an import , has an aftermarket alarm and the led is in the dash .

Like foxy says , the led is " usually " down by the gear stick if its a standard alarm .

Unless its an import , they didn't come fitted with alarms . Mines an import , has an aftermarket alarm and the led is in the dash .

Not all came with alarms ?

Good old french eh ? ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Not all came with alarms ?

Good old french eh ? ?

Imports definitely didn't come fitted with an alarm , just the immobiliser . If its a UK version it should have an alarm fitted as standard at the import centre when it arrived in the UK .

172 MKII FF
Hi,

I purchased my RS 172 02 reg a few week back and the car auctioneer said it was an import. How can I tell if it is an import, are there any significant differences? There is a flashing LED next to the gear stick which signifies it has an alarm.

172 MKII FF
Hmmmm. In my black car booklet I have a T looking tool with 3 silver prongs protruding and a plastic central piece. I also have a hexodagonal silver bolt looking thing - are these wheel nut things?

The car also has a small flashing red light next to the gear stick. I'm not sure on window etchings, what do these look like, where do they appear?

Is their any way to tell on the DVLA registration document if the car is an import?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
If you look at the second page in on your "Warranty Servicing" book, you should see a stamp that says "Renault UK Ltd c/o Cat UK Services Ltd Southampton"

These are the import agents and they fit the alarms.

The LED is not a guaranteed way of telling if the car is a direct import, because a lot of alarm fitters put the LED there because they know Renault do.

The UK cars have etched glass security codes and locking wheel nuts as well as a Cobra alarm upgrade to bring the immobiliser up to Thatcham Cat1.

172 MKII FF
If you look at the second page in on your "Warranty Servicing" book, you should see a stamp that says "Renault UK Ltd c/o Cat UK Services Ltd Southampton"

The LED is not a guaranteed way of telling if the car is a direct import, because a lot of alarm fitters put the LED there because they know Renault do.

The UK cars have etched glass security codes and locking wheel nuts as well as a Cobra alarm upgrade to bring the immobiliser up to Thatcham Cat1.

I don't seem to have a warranty servicing booklet, just a few manuals and lots of receipts. Where about on the car should I be looking for the etched glass security code?

172 MKII FF
It will be on every piece of glass on the car.

Hi, just had a look at my car and the following (with different codes) appear on every window:

"Renault Splintex
T Tempered F
Dot24-AS2-M68
43R - 00048
....2"

With an E6 in a cicle.

Is this the etching you were on about?

no mate its not that etching.

the window etching hes on about is letters and numbers where each digit looks like its made up of a series of dots and is usually found as said on every window, but on my 2 front door windows the etching is usually next to the "WARNING RENAULT 0700 XXX XXXX" stickers about the ISSR

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
No, thats the glass makers marks.

Its more obvious than that, like a giant dot matrix printer has been at work.

So It sounds like you don't have the etched windows.

Did you check the service book ??

172 MKII FF
I don't have a service, just a black leather wallet with lots of invoices. None of them seem to point to the car being an import. I managed to get the radio code off Renault no problem, I've read that imports are difficult to get the radio code for.

I have no window etchens :(

Or alarm led by gear stick :(, i just have normal clio key
with button that unlocks and locks car and a red light that flashes by the dials.

Have locking nuts though..

Whys this ? ?

How can you tell if your car has a cat 1 alarm ?

Can you tell by looking ?

If so where ?

Hmmmm. In my black car booklet I have a T looking tool with 3 silver prongs protruding and a plastic central piece. I also have a hexodagonal silver bolt looking thing - are these wheel nut things?

The car also has a small flashing red light next to the gear stick. I'm not sure on window etchings, what do these look like, where do they appear?

Is their any way to tell on the DVLA registration document if the car is an import?

I was thinking of this does it say on v5 anywhere about import status ?

I have plastic thing for wheel nut covers too, i take it everyone does :)

And are they all the same ?

The wheel nut cover key i mean ?

audi a6 3.0tdi
my alarm goes of if you leave the window open and lock it. its worth a try just doing that

my alarm goes of if you leave the window open and lock it. its worth a try just doing that

Will go and try it now ;)

Do i need to put my hand in through open window or anything to set it off ?

Another thing my indicators flash when i push key fob button (But i take it this is normal with an alarm or not ?):)

Is the pillar sensors oir anything to distinguish or anything on alarm models apart from led in centre console ?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
just lock the car and open it with a key, i have brought a import 172 an it has no alarm, window things, or locking wheel nuts. they normally come from holand.

BUMP

And if the imports come from holland does that mean the body will be cleaner ?

I.e no rust etc etc

Or am i speaking crap ?

As one of my mates was saying imports are usually cleaner body wise ans lower mileage than cars from here...

Is this true ?

just lock the car and open it with a key, i have brought a import 172 an it has no alarm, window things, or locking wheel nuts. they normally come from holand.

Are there any plus points of owning an import apart from no window etching etc etc ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
BUMP

I.e no rust etc etc

Or am i speaking crap ?

As one of my mates was saying imports are usually cleaner body wise ans lower mileage than cars from here...

Is this true ?

They don't all come from Holland . I'm on my second import , whats called a direct import from France as it wasn't destined for anywhere until a buyer was found for it . In my case motorpoint , then me , new .

I think your getting a little confused with what are known as grey imports , usually from Asia , such as subarus which are second hand as they have stricter MOT's over there so they get sold on to other countries .

If a " new " import was destined for Holland or Cyprus then you only got 1 years warranty . I got 3 years warranty and 3 years AA assistance with it being direct from the factory in France .

As said , you get no locking wheel nuts , alarm or window etching on imports , but then on later 182's they did stop window etching anyway afaik .

If your unsure if your car is an import , ring Renault customer services , give them your vin number and they will tell you where your car was sourced from . i.e. UK model or import .

Renault customer services : Tel 08000 723372

And no , imports aren't worth any less before anyone says they are as they are the same car built in the same factory . Just get a cat 1 alarm fitted and locking wheel nuts and the jobs a good un .Plus they are all undersealed unlike the jap imports .

BUMP

I.e no rust etc etc

Or am i speaking crap ?

Is this true ?

They don't all come from Holland . I'm on my second import , whats called a direct import from France as it wasn't destined for anywhere until a buyer was found for it . In my case motorpoint , then me , new .

I think your getting a little confused with what are known as grey imports , usually from Asia , such as subarus which are second hand as they have stricter MOT's over there so they get sold on to other countries .

If a " new " import was destined for Holland or Cyprus then you only got 1 years warranty . I got 3 years warranty and 3 years AA assistance with it being direct from the factory in France .

As said , you get no locking wheel nuts , alarm or window etching on imports , but then on later 182's they did stop window etching anyway afaik .

If your unsure if your car is an import , ring Renault customer services , give them your vin number and they will tell you where your car was sourced from . i.e. UK model or import .

And no , imports aren't worth any less before anyone says they are as they are the same car built in the same factory . Just get a cat 1 alarm fitted and locking wheel nuts and the jobs a good un .Plus they are all undersealed unlike the jap imports .

Ok cheers bud that clears up import status i bit :) and i'll give that customer services a call on monday and find out what the script is with my car;)

Why aren't Jap imports undersealed ?

Is it cos its a warmer climate ?

How weird ?

BUMP

I.e no rust etc etc

Or am i speaking crap ?

Is this true ?

172 MKII FF
I tested my alarm yesterday by leaving the door open and pressing the kye fob button, it basically made a beeping noise but didn't sound loud like an alarm. Where about in the car would the alarm siren be put?

172 MKII FF
Okay, so i tested my alarm by leaving the door open and this did nothing, just beeped. I've just tested it again by leaving the window open, remote locking the car and then waving my arm in the car though the open window - nothing. The car did beep but eventually it went off after about 10 seconds. In the car their is the red LED next to the gear stick and sensors up the arch between the windscreen and passenger windows.

172 MKII FF
Weird.....what does anyone think this could be? My car clearly has an alarm as their are sensors on the door arch things and their is a red led. Where does everyone elses sensors appear? What do they look like?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Matt if you just leave the door open it will not set proberly, the alarm is telling you this when it beeps continuley (sp) the best thing to do is arm it with the plip then open the car using the key to the barrel after 1 min. Theres normally a LED in front of the gearstick and 2 ultra sonics sensors by the windscreen on driver and passenger side. Dicky yours looks like mine inside it has no LED by the gearstick you didnt show the a trims next to the windscreen though.

Weird.....what does anyone think this could be? My car clearly has an alarm as their are sensors on the door arch things and their is a red led. Where does everyone elses sensors appear? What do they look like?

You mean sensors on door pillar ?