ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 Toyota MR2 Roadster. (Full homo content)

Well, after building my own MX5, I (*the police) decided I needed something a bit more refined and well built for day to day use, which considering I only ever use the M60 is probably fair.
I said quite a while ago that my next car would definitely be a MK3 MR2... I meant it at the time, but soon forgot once I got into my MX5 project. I went through a phase of wanting all sorts, from Lexus Soarers to an old TVR... But once the need for a new car arose I had to be sensible which meant it was down to an MR2 or a MK2.5 MX5. I went to see several MR2's, and a couple of MX5's, and while it seems you do get way more for your money with an MX5, finding a good one proved to be very difficult. I went to see a black MX5 S-VT with a hard top (pretty much perfect spec for me) which was literally just covered in scratches, chip touch ups and the rear arch was full of filler. Shame as it looked uber clean from about 10 feet away!
Anyway, onto the MR2. It's a 2002 pre-facelift model which is something I've had to compromise on as I really, really wanted a facelift model. It's also Silver, which is another thing I'm not too keen on; I'd have ideally liked a black or red one, but they're few and far between in decent spec and the price range I was looking at! The plus points of this car are that it's got a genuine hardtop in excellent condition, full leather also in brilliant condition, and hella service history. It's done just under 72k which, with no timing belts to worry about, is nothing.
There are a couple of issues, which I played heavily on when trying to get some money off; firstly it's in need of a new Lambda sensor as it's throwing up a fault code (bought an OBDII reader just to double check) £80 for a genuine Denso item. And also the wheels are heavily corroded which can be easily sorted once the weather turns a bit nicer - 3 tins of wheel paint and some wet and dry to sort.
To drive, it's fantastic. Turn in is instant - it feels very 'pointy', the steering rack is very quick and it's hard to provoke the rear end (although it has let go once or twice on me... you've got to be quick!) Interestingly, all UK MR2's came as standard with a Torsen LSD - something I didn't know until after I'd bought this car. It was only when the facelift arrived in 2003 that magazines etc started making a point of it being fitted, and so I thought my car didn't have one fitted, which made the first properly wet roundabout I came to quite.. exciting!
The gear change is an odd one.. I can't quite decide if there isn't much feel, or if the gearbox itself is just far better and much less notchy than the one in my MX5.
Plenty of feel through the brakes, and they're very strong... although I think the handbrake needs some adjustment as it's already let me down once! Gently rolled into my housemates car the other morning which was quite confusing.
The engine feels Very torquey which is something I didn't expect. Pulls nicely from 2k all the way to the redline at 7k. It's quite linear, there doesn't really feel like there's a midrange kick which I was sort of expecting with it having VVT-i. Sounds okay, it's a bit quiet, but it doesn't make a bad noise - just not terribly exciting, especially considering the engine is just behind you!
IMO, it's better in every way than an MX5. It feels like more of a drivers car as standard, it's more refined, it's probably just as comfortable (can't really remember what my MX5 was like as standard now!) Only downside is the lack of storage; but other than the odd trip to Tesco, I don't need something with a lot of space inside.

It's properly homo, I know. But it's ridiculously good to drive, and a massive step up in quality from what I've gotten used to over the past few months. Other than removing the pre-cats ASAP, I've no major plans as of yet although I'm not going to say I'll keep it standard, because that'd be a lie. I'm quite keen on adding the facelift parts, giving it a bit of a drop, and possibly some nicer wheels. We'll see..

8454310548_9e688f729e_c.jpg

MR2 Roadster by j0eyD, on Flickr

8454322978_4e405aee03_c.jpg

8453225029_47771fd1f1_c.jpg

8453222847_635554e1e8_c.jpg

8453220411_21c4ec8075_c.jpg

I've given it a bit of a clean since those were taken, so I'll update this thread with new pictures and probably all the 'progress' I make on it!

Thanks for looking :)

This has Continental Premium Contacts all round - so it's certainly had some money spent on it

Had a quick look on Camskill, and they're about 70-80quid a corner in 205/50/15! Mental.

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
VVT-i Kicked in Yo!

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it....

Anyway, nice car. I feel like the wheels are too small and narrow. But Narrow tyres make for fun at wet roundabouts!

Erm.. Well one shell is still sat on Sebs driveway - that's due to be scrapped. Then I've got the complete MX5 sat on my driveway, that's getting broken for parts, then probably scrapped! So yeah pretty much...

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I like, interesting to hear your thoughts on it compared to your MX be interesting to drive one back to back with a mk2.5 though..

I like, interesting to hear your thoughts on it compared to your MX be interesting to drive one back to back with a mk2.5 though..

I do still think the MR2 is more of a drivers car. I think the MX5 is way more fun though - purely because it's so easy to hang the arse out! I couldn't find a MK2.5 that actually warranted a test-drive, so didn't even bother tbh. I imagine they're similar to the MK1's but a bit more refined and a bit nicer to drive..
Meh, I'm happy with my decision anyway!

I like these too, really need to get one or a MX5 next time I change cars.

Loads of fun. Can't recommend either of them enough for the price!

Baby Boxster. Nice.

Ta!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The only people who think they're homo are the ones that haven't driven one.

Awesome little things and truly are a mini boxster, the wheels are terrible and always corroded, such a puny thing to put on a little sports car.

Needs a fruity exhaust and wheels. I almost bought one years ago before Milly. Think it was 11k! Then they dropped like a facking stone!

Lovely pics.

I picked this up for £2.5k (Up for £2.8) I think they've properly levelled out now with regards to price. Agree about the exhaust. I've done a small amount of research and kinda want a "CHE" centre exit catback. They sound quite nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Cup In bits
This is really going to go against the grain for most but care.

Being a young guy and driving a car like a TT,mx5,mr2 you have to seriously evaluate your sexuality, it's almost passable for a cheap midlife crises but just no. There is a lot of lover's of these types on here for some reason, I understand they have good chassis etc but just no, your a young guy driving a 2 seater hairdresser mobile, I would never live it down personally.

All IMO off course.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Being a young guy and driving a car like a TT,mx5,mr2 you have to seriously evaluate your sexuality, it's almost passable for a cheap midlife crises but just no. There is a lot of lover's of these types on here for some reason, I understand they have good chassis etc but just no, your a young guy driving a 2 seater hairdresser mobile, I would never live it down personally.

All IMO off course.

Pretty sure I got more p!sstaking about having a "girls car" when driving my clio than I do in my MX...

But anyway I like driving with roof down and Ray bans on so clearly don't care anyway ;)

Cup In bits
Don't slate too much for what I have said.

I guess it depends what kind of life/work environment you have, as I said I would never live it down. From experience of driving a mx5 and 206cc I was cringing driving them around tbh, didn't want to be seen in them and couldn't wait to get out.

work for BMW
fair play for buying something you will get made fun for driving haha but its not a bad car ! The picture you posted with the drop and nice wheels with the roof off looks so nice

The drop and RPF1's makes a massive improvement to how it looks. Mate of mine had one for a few months to run about in and raved about how well it drove (aside from lacking outright power) I never did get a crack at it to see for myself though.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Erm.. Well one shell is still sat on Sebs driveway - that's due to be scrapped. Then I've got the complete MX5 sat on my driveway, that's getting broken for parts, then probably scrapped! So yeah pretty much...

Saddened :(

Got any nice parts?

I don't know... I don't buy cars to impress other people. I buy cars because they're good to drive. I've owned 7 cars now (discounting the Toyota Lucida I part owned with my mates) and I think you'd agree they're all what you'd call 'drivers cars' other than my first Clio: The Clio, 106 GTI, a 306 GTI-6, 3 MX5's and this MR2.
I can't say I drive everywhere with the roof down, mainly because it's so cold at the moment, but mostly because there's a fair amount of chassis flex without the hardtop which surprised me TBH.
I like the way a good, involving car feels on the road and I couldn't care less what the general public think as they're generally all idiots anyway! LOL.
That said, I hardly think it's uncool. It just seems like many, many females/housewives/PE teachers like them and so they get a bit of a reputation for being girly. I'm not arsed, I'm having way more fun than the person who's laughing at me in their Fiesta/A3/whatever.

The drop and RPF1's makes a massive improvement to how it looks. Mate of mine had one for a few months to run about in and raved about how well it drove (aside from lacking outright power) I never did get a crack at it to see for myself though.

Yeah, I don't think it takes much to make them look quite nice. Same with MX5's really. They are a great drive. As standard it does understeer when you throw it into a corner a bit too quickly, and the back end will let go if you get on the 'power' too soon out of a corner - but there's certainly potential there for a very nice handling car! They do weigh in at under a tonne after all!

Saddened :(

Got any nice parts?

Yes. I'm going to get together a list tomorrow some time - Jamie86 has already said he's interested in a few bits and pieces.
I've not advertised anything yet as I refuse to take it apart in this weather! lol

Ahh, they're nice! Think my chassis rails were a bit too fubar'd for them after Seb owned the car :eek:
I've got the 1.8 chassis braces if you want/don't already have them!

320d

All IMO off course.

Anybody who drives a Corsa VXR needs to evaluate their mothers drinking during pregnancy. Oh and of course their own comfort in their sexuality for letting a car define it.

All IMO, of course.

I like it Joey, considered one instead of my MK1 MX5. Wouldn't rule one out in the future.

Definite step up from the MK1 MX5's. In all areas. I don't particularly think it'd be too far off the pace of a 1*2... Not as quick for sure, but not as far off as you might think!

Cup In bits
Anybody who drives a Corsa VXR needs to evaluate their mothers drinking during pregnancy. Oh and of course their own comfort in their sexuality for letting a car define it.

All IMO, of course.

I like it Joey, considered one instead of my MK1 MX5. Wouldn't rule one out in the future.

Genuinely lol'd alot at the mothers drinking habits comment. It doesn't define you but gives a good insight.

VXR is one of the better current hot hatches iirc.

Different strokes for different folks and all that. I just find it hard to see a young guy driving these cars.

I'll leave it at that, hope the op enjoys his new car.

Edition 30
Oh, shame that. Engine still okay?

Quite like the MR2, don't see many about in silver.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh, they're nice! Think my chassis rails were a bit too fubar'd for them after Seb owned the car :eek:
I've got the 1.8 chassis braces if you want/don't already have them!
Lol, a light breeze can f**k them up tbh.

Thanks but mine came with all the bracing.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Swede, your posts are not only completely pointless to this thread, but completely illegible for the most part. You should probably stop posting in here and have a long, hard chat with yourself in the mirror.

Every single one of us will have a crack at him for it being a hairdressers car etc, but to say that you'd never live it down is pathetic. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate your social circles, and most importantly, your own sexuality. If you don't know how to come back from someone thinking you're gay for driving a car seen by most as slightly feminine then your mental capacity is also somewhat questionable.

OT: From what I saw of the car parked outside your house the other night whilst no b*****d would answer the phone/door it looked very clean. Needs lows and decent wheels though :)

You'll have to take me out in it soon. Still going to miss RACK!

OT: From what I saw of the car parked outside your house the other night whilst no b*****d would answer the phone/door it looked very clean. Needs lows and decent wheels though :)

You'll have to take me out in it soon. Still going to miss RACK!

Me too. I could still keep it... but I think it's time for it to die tbh :(