ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 Toyota MR2 Roadster. (Full homo content)

You can get them brand new from Japan too, exchange rate wise the US is probably the better option, plus they don't speak scribble. I don't know of any Enkei suppliers in the UK, well, none who shout about it anyway.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
I love these things. Kind of a watered down budget Elise S! I had been looking into buying one and trying some track days during the summer.

How easy are the precats to remove?

No reason why not tbh, just don't let Turner anywhere near it.

He'll get upset and have to use his inside voices.

Lol! I'll have to keep it quiet. F**k it. I'm not paying £300+ per wheel. Far too poor!

I love these things. Kind of a watered down budget Elise S! I had been looking into buying one and trying some track days during the summer.

How easy are the precats to remove?

You can do it yourself by taking the manifold off and smashing them out (quite easy as the exhaust faces the rear of the car so there's a load of access) or an exhaust place should be able to do it for £50ish. I'll probably be looking at getting them done in March sometime. or ASAP ideally!

Listerine & Poledo
Tried one before I got my black mk2. Not knocking them, just don't like them as much.
Still, I hear they have underseal, which is nice :)

Seriously tho, are you going to spactard the suspension?

Yeah, arches aren't an issue either as the whole rear quarter panel is just bolted on!
I'm undecided on whether or not to just get 30mm TTE springs or go all out on HSD coilovers... It'll definitely be 'functional' if I go with coilovers though as its just such a good chassis! Might have to look into some bracing too if I go with coilovers as there's already a fair bit of scuttle shake without the hardtop attached. No more than you'd get in an MX5, but you can still feel it.

Took a few crap photos to try and show the rest of the car, excuse the filth - I've just not had the time to give it anything like a good clean :(

8481360323_dca5d6a47c_z.jpg

MR2 Roadster by j0eyD, on Flickr

8481362339_a2d9959542_z.jpg

8481375661_46f0b27059_z.jpg

8481373251_d0b88e9d33_z.jpg

Storage by j0eyD, on Flickr

8482453962_07913bd1aa_z.jpg

8481366017_4d44aba395_z.jpg

8481367721_00dee919b4_z.jpg

1ZZ-FE by j0eyD, on Flickr

8481369577_554d5666a4_z.jpg

8481371321_ed4d5bd9a3_z.jpg

Storage (172 airbox for reference) by j0eyD, on Flickr

8481378977_98fc744de1_z.jpg

Corroded wheels by j0eyD, on Flickr

8482470496_5b9d5a9ae1_z.jpg

8481382735_802979eb52_z.jpg

8482474128_51ab3d8c1f_z.jpg

8481377221_6858007460_z.jpg

History by j0eyD, on Flickr

Still absolutely love it. Beginning to feel a bit more confident now too (await rolled MR2 thread) and it seems to respond better to being flicked in rather than slowly turned into a corner; you can feel the rear of the car moving around slightly too which is nice, just have to be careful in the wet as it does seem to let go almost instantly.

Nice Joey, I never knew these had leather seats! Glad you're enjoying it :)

Are you still keeping the MX or is that a daft question?

that interior does look really nice actually, must be a much better than the mx5 to sit in

I was kinda surprised by how quiet and well put together it feels. Some of the materials aren't too great, but it's a much nicer place to be than an MX5! Feels slightly less cramped too which is a bonus!

Nice Joey, I never knew these had leather seats! Glad you're enjoying it :)

Are you still keeping the MX or is that a daft question?

Haha, I could keep it, but I don't really think I need two roadsters TBH! Plus it's a giant heap of s**t.
It's just sat on my drive waiting to die.

8481386649_3de3649d26_z.jpg

:( by j0eyD, on Flickr

Poor thing

Listerine & Poledo
Lol, it's a much nicer interior than a poverty-spec mk1 mx5 yes.

Anything worth breaking from your dead one Joey?

I thought you were going to run both for some reason! Shame to see it go after all the work that's gone into it :dapprove:

Lol, it's a much nicer interior than a poverty-spec mk1 mx5 yes.

Anything worth breaking from your dead one Joey?

HKS Hiper-D coilovers, a haggered hard top, Torsen diff, TRlane door bars, light weight BBS's with brand new tyres (ffs)
So I guess I can make some money out of it!

I thought you were going to run both for some reason! Shame to see it go after all the work that's gone into it :dapprove:

I could own both, but only run one realistically. And since they both serve the same purpose, there's not much point! Yeah, it is a shame about the MX, but I just didn't have the time or energy to sort it out properly unfortunately. Kinda the final nail in the coffin for it!

I've been looking at these, early ones seem like a right bargain compared to similar age MX-5's!

I don't think you get quite as much for your money, but not by a lot. Plus IMO the MR2 is a lot better to drive. Perhaps not as fun, as I've said, but that's not to say you can't hang the arse out coming out of a junction - feels very predictable and controllable. When it lets go at higher speeds you do have to be concentrating though!

il buy the mx for £150 :rasp:

Ha!

On a properly properly dull note, over the first 1000 miles I've owned it, I've averaged 36.6mpg which isn't bad. That includes motorway, some B-roads, hardtop on and roof off, so pretty mixed. Much better than my MX5 was anyway. Struggled to see 30 out of that!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Fine £155.. can collect at the weekend :rasp:

OT- had a drive of one of these today and was suprised how well it handled..

I don't think I've ever driven anything that handles like it as standard. Its brilliant. That's why I'm kind of on the fence as to whether to mess with the suspension or not - feels so well sorted already.. definitely needs an exhaust though. Far too quiet.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Are you coming to CSS this year Joey? Wouldn't mind a nosey round it!

I'll probably be late in some shape or form. 100% c**k on head.
Yeah, as said no CSS for me. Kinda am gutted as I did enjoy last year!
goodj, I'll have a look - not received any notifications or anything. Tapatalk is s**t sometimes.

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Agree with the above.

Looks class lowered but badly needs some wheels too. OE's are bland as f**k.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Looks great in that photoshop.

A mate has just ordered a ridiculously wide bodykit for his, think its an APR one around £3k!

He has a turbo kit for it as well, apparently anything over 230bhp in them and they are quite a handful to keep in a straight line.

Listerine & Poledo
What about that midship-wing?

I'd say the OEM wheels are spot on, I bet whacking on sik, wideboy wheels (stretched tyres, of course) won't help the handling.

Of course, anything can be tuned in/out with spacers and all-ways adjustable suspension :)

Last edited:
Looks great in that photoshop.

A mate has just ordered a ridiculously wide bodykit for his, think its an APR one around £3k!

He has a turbo kit for it as well, apparently anything over 230bhp in them and they are quite a handful to keep in a straight line.

LOL!! Is he on any forums or anything? Would love to see a build/progress thread.