ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2004 182: ABS and TCS light have come on - where to start?

Clio 182 2004
Hi guys, having a bit of a bad run with the clio at moment.

2004 182 model.

The following dash lights have come on similtaneously and have stayed on:
ABS
SERVICE
TCS?(the skiddy one)

Tried so far:
- checked 10A fuse in cabin and is fine.
- does not appear to be a 50A fuse in engine bay box for my model, but checked all fuses here anyway and all fine.
- checked brake fluid level
- checked the little sensor on brake reservoir for any obvious problem
- checked for DTCs in the OBDII and there are no codes

This is as far as my knowledge goes. Any idea what to try next please?

The last thing that happened is my bodyshop guys brought the car back to me from their shop and the whole underside was COVERED in mud like they went through a field! As far as I understand the ABS is just a few electro magnets and should not be affected by any mud build up etc.

Many thanks as always.

Jon

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
If it was me I'd take the wheels off and check if the abs rings are covered in mud.

Clio 182 2004
If it was me I'd take the wheels off and check if the abs rings are covered in mud.
Will do today. Also planning to test if the sensors are producing a voltage. I read another managed to diagnose this way on the forum. Watch this space...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Will do today. Also planning to test if the sensors are producing a voltage. I read another managed to diagnose this way on the forum. Watch this space...
Good luck. Keep us posted. You said the underside of the car is covered in mud. It might just be something as simple as an abs ring caked in s**t.

Clio 182 2004
OK guys looks like we have the answer.

In case it helps others:

- jacked car up safetly
- removed front wheels
- examined induction rings and sensors
- unplugged sensors from main loom
- put a standard DC Voltmeter over the female pins of sensors

Results:
FR: 0.76-0.9V depending wheel rotation
LF: 0.1-0.2V

99% sure the fault is the LF sensor is below V threshold. Moisture must have got into sensor.

New sensor ordered £16 posted (clio parts are so beautifully cheap).

Fitting looks troublesome unless I remove hub entirely. REALLY don't want to do that so will likely burn old sensor out, clean and replace. Securing bolt almost certainly going to snap on removal so will prob weld a new stud to hub to act as the new bolt. Car could really do with a full restoration, lot of corrosion on these hubs etc. Makes everything so hard. That will have to wait for another year.

Other notes: induction rings look a pretty shoddy design and between the teeth is serious corrosion build up. (never seen this on other cars) Spent 2 hours wire brushing corrosion off and rust-proofing the rings. After that the Volts on the good sensor shot up to a beautiful 0.95-1.0V (probably like new readings). So would recommend everyone doing that, as it's an easy job and will save a nasty job in future if those rings go completely.

That's all. Will report back when sensor fitted. Fingers crossed.