ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2005 clio 1.416v leaking headgasket

Clio 182 & Clio 1.4
Clio headgasket is leaking oil quite badly. Garage have told me £300 to have it replaced and will 100% stop the oil leak.

A leaking headgasket on a 2005 clio... Sound normal for clios'?
Headgasket is not blown just purely leaking engine oil.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
more likely rocker cover than head gasket.

if it were headgasket it would be a lot more money than that

both are cambelt off jobs, which by that costing I doubt will be replaced or refitted correctly

Megane dci 130
In my years iv never seen one leak oil. Alot of the time people mis diagnose it as the rocker cover or the heat exchanger plate on the side of the head leaking.

Is it metal or plastic?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As Danny said its more than likely going to be the rocker cover which is leaking and mis-diagnosed and needing a re-seal. Whilst you're having it done (properly at least) you might as well treat it to a timing belt, aux. belt and (service history and condition depending) water pump change.

Obviously we've not seen the car so cannot say for sure but if the above is correct i'd charge £410 - £467: That breaks down to £380 to change both belt kits, and another £30 to remove, chemically clean your covers then refit and reseal them. If you wanted a water pump adding it would be an extra £57 with type-D coolant following a flush.

Mick

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
iirc you can get the rocker cover off without removing the belt on a k4j engine.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
iirc you can get the rocker cover off without removing the belt on a k4j engine.

Not the K4J 1.4 16v you can't as its the same as the 1.6 16v K4M... keyless engine and the top cover forms the carrier bearing caps for the cams.

Megane dci 130
The heat exchange on the side of the head. It carries oil aswell as coolant. If its the plastic type, the rubber seal fails and the plastic bows. It also houses the thermostat in the plastic type.