ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2006 Renault sport clio

Im sure if i was to take a CTR to a track id have half as much fun as in a 182. clios can get thrown about so much more because theyre lighter. It doesnt matter how much lighter. THEYRE LIGHTER. 200bhp standard is not bad, not good either but with a little bit of fettling im sure that could be upped a little. As cliopower said, i hope the production car is nicer looking than the prototype. One thing id prefer is a meaner front end.

Ta, Andy

VaVa

The Fiesta? *snigger*

None of them. The current model is top of the Class now (and can hold its own in the next class up!) and Ive no doubt the new one will be in a couple of years time. And if Renault are still running the Friends and Family scheme, who knows I might get one!!

172, Tiguan

Sorry this thread has astounded me. Seems quite a few people are relying to much on "pub talk" here.

I wonder how much power some people would like the Clio to have here?? Lets not forget it is fwd.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 04 October 2004

The Fiesta? *snigger*

None of them. The current model is top of the Class now (and can hold its own in the next class up!) and Ive no doubt the new one will be in a couple of years time. And if Renault are still running the Friends and Family scheme, who knows I might get one!!

WOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thats another sane person on here.

LOL @ fiesta, hmm.

I think mitchys been at the scooby snacks.

Quote: Originally posted by Mitchy on 03 October 2004

20bhp increase with a 100kg increase in weight.

Cars are supposed to get faster, not remain the same!!

Goodnight vienna!!!!
Where is this rule?

New Hot-Hatches are often faster than the outgoing models but its not a rule and im sure the old CTR was faster than the bread van version.

FWD cars can only deal with so much power and manufacturers have to sell a safe and complete package - they are near the limit and the only way they will have more power is to compensate for more weight.

On the class thing - Honda sell the Civic to compete with the Focus/Megane group of cars.

They sell the Jazz to compete the Clio/Fiesta/206 range or if you want a Scooby equal Mitchy you need to buy a Justy! LOL

Civics are bigger and cost more - this makes them a Class up.

Fiestas are the same size and cost the same - this makes them the same class.

Can you still get Justys?;)

Cant believe i just spent 10 mins reading all this sh*te!

At the end of the day, what is a hot hatch?

An affordable, fast, fun hatchback.

Both the CTR and 182 are that.

Yes the CTR is bigger but what the hell does that matter?! Power to weight is identical on both.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

The 182 is the class below the CTR in terms of size and money.

The CTR should be compared the Focus RS, Golf R32 etc.
The 182 should be compared to micra, fiesta, mini etc

Anyone know any specific details about the new Micras platform, suspension design etc.?

The problem is the Micra and Clio start off around £7k. So even your £15k hot hatch is based on a £7k car so there is a lot of compromise there. If the Micra platform is barely different to the current Clios i cant really see things moving on all that much (going back to the Williams being as good as the MK1 172 comment by Tom).

If the new Clio is something like my Mini.. i will definetly get one, otherwise, i dont see the point.

-Rob

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Your mini is flawed.

the z axle setup gets binned on the next gen. as it costs way to much to produce.

Mate i would do some research into what platform sharing means.

Flawed because of amount to produce? Surely thats a benefit to me..! In fact, the Mini costs the same amount to produce as a VW Passat.

-Rob

Oh this discussion is amusing!

My interpretation of the car class system:
(using: Honda, Ford, VW, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot models as examples)
Superminis: ?, Ka, Lupo, Twingo (in France), C2, 106
Small hatches: Jazz, Fiesta, Polo, Clio, C3, 206
Small family cars: Civic, Focus, Golf, Megane, Xsara/C4, 307
Family cars: Accord, Mondeo, Passat, Laguna, C5, 407

Now, IF YOU USE ORDINARY MODELS as a basis, I think the above is correct -do you agree?

But, sporty models f*ck things up - I mean, Id consider the CTR as a rival to the 182, even though its not in the same class (its bigger in size, but similar performance and not too different in price). But, you should also consider the 206 GTI180 as a 182 rival. Then theres the MINI, which costs a fair bit but is also a 182 rival IMO. And as for the Clio V6 - NOT a rival for the GTI180 despite being a small hatch in size (extreme example, I know).

Classes are blurred. Cars cant be compared only on size. End of.

At the end of the day, I aint too impressed with the look of the new Clio CS - it looks too upright - but hopefully the final production model will be better.

Yeah, I was hoping to put an end to it.

What was the thread originally about again? Thats right: the 2006 Renaultsport Clio!

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Ally on 04 October 2004
Yeah, I was hoping to put an end to it.What was the thread originally about again? Thats right: the 2006 Renaultsport Clio!

Yes it is .

Moving on with the Clio discussion.

I quite like the look of the new one. Its similar to the Megane which has grown on me.

I prefer the stealth looks similar to the 172/182. Who wants to buy a chaved up car from new? Body mods imo look sh*te.

A 6th gear is better for the motorway and the cup version 1 year later should be pretty impressive.

Will things still start to drop off within 3 months though?

[Edited by Tadpole172 on 04 October 2004 at 5:50pm]

[Edited by Tadpole172 on 04 October 2004 at 5:51pm]

Hot hatches are getting fatser but with it they seem to loose some of the cornering ability, so I agree with lager lout about the all round package.

The golf gti has got better with each incarnation in terms of outright pace, safety, luxories, comfort etc. However ity can be said equally that it has lost the plot handling wise with each incarnation which is so important hot hatch wise as the latest golf gtis (not mk5) are considered pants!

^^ dont lump me in with mitchy lol! ;)

I think Ive made it clear I am talking about outright pace rather than the complete package!

Although I for one will be closely watching the proposed 230bhp Golf GTI -R (made the R up) which is supposed to be alightweight version, of the golf gti, fully stripped, lighter metals used in door construction etc..

Clio v6

From a personal point of veiw, I would rather be ignored in a Golf than laughed at in a Mingane.

dk

911 GTS Cab

The Fiesta RS seen at the Motorshow would have moved the game on, but that was canned, so back to the Clio Maybe if the Evo Colt comes out that will do it, they do pretty well with the lancer.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Im not sure if Renault have listened to people regarding the gearbox.

The reason most (if not all) of us existing 172/182 owners wanted the 6 gears for is not acceleration, but a longer 6th gear to make motorway cruising more enjoyable (and dare I say it more effiecient!).

They seem to have taken the line of "improving in gear speeds" with the addition of the 6th gear.

I wonder how much improvement can you really make to a 182s handling. Bearing in mind that the 182 was supposed to sort out the skittish back end problem of the 172?

I also wonder how much more bhp youd be able to get out of an n/a 2.0 thats been tuned to 200bhp anyway.

Id definitely like a longer top gear though.