ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2007 Clio 1.2tCE Battery Issues

2007 Clio 1.2tCE
Evening all,

First post so go easy on me please! :)

I have a 57 Reg 1.2tCE Clio which today decided - out of nowhere - to not fire. Was driven all day yesterday, driven to work this morning all fine, then in the afternoon I went out to it and all kind of electrical hell had broke loose. Wouldn't start or lock, hazards came on for no reason, immobiliser light went ape etc....

Anyway, got my mechanic mate to come out to work this evening to jump it for me - he turns up, turns the key and it fires. No problem at all. Couldn't bleeding believe it.

I've been racking my brains as to what could have caused the issue and I'm wondering if battery/electrical issues can be caused by aux cables? I only ask because I bought a new one to plug my phone in to my head unit yesterday and these troubles only started when it was plugged in. I unplugged it before my mechanic came to jump it and then the car fired all of a sudden. Could be a coincidence, but makes no sense to me!

Could be battery on the way out, but hoping not seeing as the little Clio has cost me big money recently! :(

Sorry to ramble but I'm confused! Any help would be great :)

2007 clio dynamique
Check the earth cable from the battery to the gearbox , actually remove it as it may look fine from just looking at it , my old 1.4 mk3 went crazy when the earth was broken

Sent from my Moto E using Tapatalk

2007 Clio 1.2tCE
its not very clear what happened when you tried to turn it over? relays click or just completely dead? dials make a buzzing noise?
Thanks for the reply Martin!

When I tried to turn the car over literally nothing happened orignally - no noises or responses from the engine. When I gave it a couple of mins and tried again, the dials worked (petrol gauge moved etc...) and the engine tried to fire but it only turned over once.

After that there was a constant clicking noise and the immobiliser light was flickering, and the car wouldn't lock. A couple of mins later that stopped, but then the hazards came on automatically.

It's really strange because now I've taken that aux cable out, all seems fine. When I finally got it home last night I left it on the drive for a couple of hours then went out to check it and it fired first time. I've also just been out this morning and it fired first time too. I defo won't be putting that new aux cable back in!

I don't see how that cable could have caused the issue, but it all seems too coincidental to me!

2007 Clio 1.2tCE
Check the earth cable from the battery to the gearbox , actually remove it as it may look fine from just looking at it , my old 1.4 mk3 went crazy when the earth was broken

Sent from my Moto E using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Glowworm :)

I will have that checked out just in case, not entirely sure what the issue could be! Im hoping it's just because "it's French" as my mechanic keeps reminding me and nothing more serious