ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2011 dci suddenly wouldn't start.

Clio
hi all, I bought my car 6 months ago. it's a 2011 dci and it had driven beautifully. today after driving my usual 50 miles I went to pick my kid up from school. when we returned to the car 5 mins later it was dead. the outside lights didn't flash when I bleeped it open. the inside lights did turn on. the immobiliser light is on. I got a jump start and the car did "try" a bit harder for a while after to never got on.
Is my battery dead or is it an electronic problem. I don't know much about the workings and got absolutely shafted by a mechanic last time I used one.
I have taken little video if i could figure out how to upload it

Nil presently.
hi all, I bought my car 6 months ago. it's a 2011 dci and it had driven beautifully. today after driving my usual 50 miles I went to pick my kid up from school. when we returned to the car 5 mins later it was dead. the outside lights didn't flash when I bleeped it open. the inside lights did turn on. the immobiliser light is on. I got a jump start and the car did "try" a bit harder for a while after to never got on.
Is my battery dead or is it an electronic problem. I don't know much about the workings and got absolutely shafted by a mechanic last time I used one.
I have taken little video if i could figure out how to upload it

Best place to start is battery. You can remove the plastic cell covers using a coin (they look like small circles with crosses on). Remove all the covers, look into the cells using a torch and get somebody to turn the ignition. If the battery is duff you should see small bubbles emerging from one or more cells.

Clio
thanks for that. it's parked where it died so I'll try that tomorrow. however I didn't notice that when we tried to jump it. and i was standing right there.

Nil presently.
It's worth a shot buddy, if one of the cells has died the other 5 will be working overtime to charge it, therefore losing power themselves. Your story sounds extremely similar to mine a few months back. Turns out 2 cells in the battery were absolutely crapped. £40 and a trip to halfords later and the car's perfect again :)

Nil presently.
For reference, these are what the cell covers look like:
Car-Battery.jpg

Clio
It's worth a shot buddy, if one of the cells has died the other 5 will be working overtime to charge it, therefore losing power themselves. Your story sounds extremely similar to mine a few months back. Turns out 2 cells in the battery were absolutely crapped. £40 and a trip to halfords later and the car's perfect again :smile:

you've given me such hope!!!!
this is probably going to be the dumbest things anyone has ever said. but. do I just get a mechanic to put the new battery in

Nil presently.
you've given me such hope!!!!
this is probably going to be the dumbest things anyone has ever said. but. do I just get a mechanic to put the new battery in

Not at all mate, if you don't fancy doing it yourself Halfords will fit it I'm sure :)

Clio
Not at all mate, if you don't fancy doing it yourself Halfords will fit it I'm sure :smile:

ha. the car is dead as a door nail. so cant get it to Halfords. I'll ask around aNd hopefully someone can do it. and it will work. and Christmas will be saved. lol

Nil presently.
Everything above is from my neighbour by the way, no sure how robust the science is aha!

If I was you, I would just buy a battery, get somebody to plug it in for you, then if the car still doesn't start replace your own and return the new one for a refund. Could be a few other things I'm sure, but probably best to start with the cheapest/simplest option mate :)