ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

20vt 172 project

phase 2 172 clio
hi, just managed to get my hands on 20 valver th ko4 turbo and 6 speed cupra r box.. is getting this box to fit gonna be a big problem? or should i just go for the 5 speed option? any info really would be a big help

phase 2 172 clio
Try get hold of a lovely new golf Gti box... great size and tough as ol' boots too

think this is what ill end up doing, 6 speed needs a bit of cutting to get it in i think, shouldnt have rushed into buying it lol...if anyone else can confirm this, would be grateful.
post some pics soon and keep you all up to date.

williams 2
were doing one, the 6 speed is massive and has the quattro on it to! 5 speed is the way forward. And to fit properly is an arse! You'll need sustom shafts if its going to properly! Good luck to you fella, good effort! 20vt are awesome

phase 2 172 clio
cheers mate, better go well after all the effort... never seen one thats been done in the flesh

phase 2 172 clio
profilepic35866_1.gif

this is the base car btw...keep the pics coming as i progress

MERCEDES CLS AMG
6 speed fits - 5 speed easier - driveshafts are a doddle. Drop it in a run a DTA set up ( loom and ecu ) - scrap the K04 for an IHI VF34 and custom manifold + bigger injectors. Personally i would go for steel rods and forged pistons as this will give you greater potential for future tuning

The guy that bought my old clio has a vf34 for sale with manifold

If your using it on the road be careful as the power is ridiculous

phase 2 172 clio
6 speed fits - 5 speed easier - driveshafts are a doddle. Drop it in a run a DTA set up ( loom and ecu ) - scrap the K04 for an IHI VF34 and custom manifold + bigger injectors. Personally i would go for steel rods and forged pistons as this will give you greater potential for future tuning

The guy that bought my old clio has a vf34 for sale with manifold

i heard the IHI conversion done properly is around 4k? do you know how much he wants for it roughly?

also heard that with decent induction, exhaust & management they will see 300 brake on stock internals.........any truth in this?

MERCEDES CLS AMG
yeh it will see 300 hp on stock internals but it wont last long - if its just a show car yeh you will be safe....hard strip use and it will last 2 month

VF34 can be done for less than £2k - buy the manifold from jabba sport or have one custom built. You can pick up a NEW VF34 from ebay USA for about £500. Get yourself some bosch 42lb 440 injectors to

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IHI-...018QQitemZ280193279437QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

injectors from states £125

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsMODS.asp#weber

Stuff the the USA is cheaper to buy and have imported

You will also need to fabricate a downpipe form the manifold to the middle box - Ian at blue flame sells the STi flanges - a decent welder / fabricator will build your down pipe.

Last edited:
  phase 2 172 clio
thanks mate, one more thing this DTA wiring loom, is it a complete loom or does it make up part of the existing one?

MERCEDES CLS AMG
DTA will sell you a loom and ECU - all you have to do is hook it up to the battery and an igntion barrel and you will have a turn key engine

Ric Wood in manchester will map it

phase 2 172 clio
DTA will sell you a loom and ECU - all you have to do is hook it up to the battery and an igntion barrel and you will have a turn key engine

Ric Wood in manchester will map it

well you def know your stuff! what you looking at price wise? fer quid i bet

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Hi matt, I spent last sunday tweaking your old E48 and its wiring, It starts of its own accord now ;)

172 cup TT
floodie - were having them made as a custom one piece shaft! The company involved has asked for 3 weeks!

Ah gotcha - cheers Mark..

With Engine converted cars such as these, are they any different when it comes to going through an MOT?.. Or exactly the same as if it had its original engine in?...

williams 2
floodie - were having them made as a custom one piece shaft! The company involved has asked for 3 weeks!

Ah gotcha - cheers Mark..

With Engine converted cars such as these, are they any different when it comes to going through an MOT?.. Or exactly the same as if it had its original engine in?...

They are the same. You obviously are doing it correct ;) so the DVLA would know about the engine change and new emissions data. Other than that it is the same. A engineers report on the engine conversion would also be a bonus. Some insurer's etc can get funny if you dont have one!

Evo 8 Jap Crap
20vt will handle 300bhp all day long

the ihi boys on seatcupra.net are all running standard internals and the likes of custardcupra and madmile have clocked up 60k miles if not more now

172 cup TT
20vt will handle 300bhp all day long

the ihi boys on seatcupra.net are all running standard internals and the likes of custardcupra and madmile have clocked up 60k miles if not more now

+1 Yep these motors are hard as nails..

Does custard have uprated though out of interest?... and im pretty sure they are both running at least 320 too... which i think is only 10 or so bhp away from needing uprated! - bit close if you ask me!.. id rather stay around the 290/300 mark to be on the safe side...

Evo 8 Jap Crap
they are both running nearly 340 and both have stock internals mate although madmile was looking to go forged as he wanted 400

172 cup TT
they are both running nearly 340 and both have stock internals mate although madmile was looking to go forged as he wanted 400

Crikey!... thats mad.. personnally i think they really are pushing their luck at 340 on standard, i would sh!t a brick everytime i had a bit of fun and put my foot down... Maybe they are mapped so their boost drops off to 1.2ish higher in the rev range to preserve their engines dunno.... Have you seen the problems rash is having with his Mk4 ibiza?.. jesus that would REALLY would put you off the BT route

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Whats his problems, what turbo and mapping etc he gone for?

ihi boys normally peak at 30psi and will still hold 26psi to about 8k revs :D

Thats about 1.7 bar at the redline ;)

MERCEDES CLS AMG
1.5 BAR max on a VF34 - i ran 1.3 for reliability and still rr'd @ over 400 bhp and that was with slippage as we couldnt get decent traction - i estimate 430 - 440 bhp with traction

rollingroad.jpg

MERCEDES CLS AMG
yeh - 1.9 overbore / steel rods / forged pistons / vf34 ( jabba manifold ) / gas flowed head etc etc

Planning to build another shortly - a stock A3

Evo 8 Jap Crap
I dunno if jabba have altered the spec of the vf34 conversion cause most people are coming out of jabba now with 26psi @ 8k

Which is 1.7 - 1.8 bar and they are pushing 2 bar max

I know that the limiting factor with ihi conversions and power wasnt the standard 20vt internals but the bearings in the vf34 werent up to the job

MERCEDES CLS AMG
A lot of these VW lads dont really race there cars and just like to drive round saying there car is 400 bhp and wax the nuts off it 5 times a week ( my opinion of the vw scene ;) )

When your giving these cars hard strip use the turbo wont last 2 minutes at 1.8 bar from my experience - i suppose for standard road use it would be fine - say just blipping it once in a while