ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2lt engine conversion and the DVLA

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
Shortly I will be having as per title.
Insurance is sorted but does any one know if I have to inform the DVLA.

Will it be MOT fail an emissions as obviously a 2lt produces more CO2 than a 1.4.
Will I need the reg doc's changed to show 2lt instead of 1.4

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
Score on the car/road tax :)
I might just give them a ring find out.
Been on the web site and It only has information on car that of been rebuilt, i.e. after a crash or being written off or kit car.

Does any one have any info, possibly some 1 who has had this conversion done?

Last edited:

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
Allocating a vehicle registration mark

The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used, an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.

Scoring components

The following values will be allocated to the major components used:

• chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points = It sure is from a renault clio
  • suspension = 2 points = this to
  • axles = 2 points = and this
  • transmission = 2 points = yep
  • steering assembly = 2 points = oh yes
  • engine = 1 point = yes, just bigger :)

Or am I missing the point and gettin this totaly wrong ????

Golf GTD Mk7
why not buy the 172? less messing and probably less issues. whats the benefit to the conversion?

Ph 1 172
there is a section on the logbook (v5) that says changes to weight and engine just fill that in and send it to the corresponding address.

Fiesta ST-3
So how can the tax stay the same? Im putting a 172 into my megane coupe 1.6 and i was told it would increase to whatever the 172 was? And theres a section on the V5 you send back.

Monaco 172 (02)
Surely your insurance will be higher on a 2.0 conversion that say a factory standard 172? (assuming you inform the insurance it's a 2.0)

Cro

Meg'd r27
Surely your insurance will be higher on a 2.0 conversion that say a factory standard 172? (assuming you inform the insurance it's a 2.0)

All too common misconception or using the wrong insurance companies. Greenlight have mine sorted at a price slightly less than friends I have with similar details with them.

Tax also stays the same indeed :) and far justifies the cost of conversion in a year or two!! No idea how the megane might work but with me its classed as a 2.0 expression.... just a 2.0 version of the model the car originally was.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
i've always wondered how it works on modern cars where the tax is based on C02

it's easy on mine as its just lumped by engine size (1.8 to 2 leeeetah, so no change anyway)