ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2nd car - What should I go for

Hi folks.....been a long time since I posted in here :cry:

Couple of months ago traded my MK2 172 in for an Audi S3 ( Wife wouldnt let me get an STI as shes thinks they look ridiculous and I can see her point ). Now have a house move on the cards ( in no small part due to the S3 getting vandalised when it was only 10 days old ) and basically will need to get a second car. Probably Ill use it mostly, for my job, as the S3 is a bit inconvient. Now the sensible thing would be to get a small diesel motor but of course I cant resist another hot hatch.........

Should get between 5-10k from sale of house to spend on it (2nd hand) and Im thinking along the lines of.........

106 GTI + Great little hot hatch, cheapish,EVO seem to love them and rate them as quicker than VTS. - getting v. dated now.

Clio Cup + As above really - Probably over 10k for one

Clio Mk1 172 + Quick and looks good, cheaper than cup to buy 2nd hand - Ummm....? likely to be out of warranty for <10k.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - have more or less narrowed it down to the above 3.

Cheers

Tom

Why do you need to spend £5-10K?

For me, it would be that Citroen ZX Volcane TD with leather again, for under £1k. If youre going to have a 2nd car, youve got to do it properly!

The other three cars sound like they would come too close in performance terms to the S3 to justify keeping it. Or perhaps Id get a real performance hot hatch (read Williams) for that sort of money and use the S3 as an everyday car since its far more suited to racking up the miles than real hot hatches!

MK1 172 or pay a little more and get a brand new cup from a car supermarket, should be able to pick up a good deal. Gotta be the clio!!!!!

Ben,

Just got the S3 so selling it aint an option as the depreciation would plummet me into a depression. :(. Anyway funnily enough Ive no wish to sell it ;).

I work as a GP which means lots of stopping and starting (housecalls), parking in tight spaces, and visiting fairly scummy areas - which the S3 aint ideal for to be honest - my old 172 was just about perfect.

Problem is I dont think I could live with a run of the mill slow banger for everyday use, thats why Im looking for another hot car, but I take your point about them being close to the S3 in performance terms (except on wet roundabouts :devilish:.

Tom

Fair enough Dr, but as an NHS accountant-in-training myself I would still prescribe a ZX diesel for doing the dodgy rounds at 3am in the morning! Point taken about depreciation though!

Id say 106 GTi.. Nice cars..

Really, Id expect an S3 too waste a GTi all day, every day.. so youd still have fun getting in the S3..

Cheaper to run overall.. but still fun to drive..

They look good, they got nice seats, they quick.. and you get a mint one for half the price of a new Cup...

Sell the S3, sod the missus and get a Subaru Impreza STi8 type UK, buy a ford mondeo 2ltr zetec to do the rounds in, then with the change left over, buy some 18inch wheels for the impreza and the performance pack ;)

The styling will eventually grow on you (it doesnt take long!)

Tony

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Id say 106 GTi...

Not as quick as either of the Clios, but its not all about straightline speed.

The handling of the 106 has to be experienced to be believed and the fun factor is awesome. Still quick enough though and with a revvy engine, close box and small lightweight car its a great package.

Also, you can pick them up sooo cheap now.

I still miss my old one and Id have another. (y)

Rich, i think that the down side for the 106 gti and the equivelant saxo vts is that the cabin is cramped and the pedals are badly placed :(

You could always recommend a pug 306 GTi-6 or a 306 Rallye though ;) but if your going into a dodgy area id go for something simple and practical (and still get rid of the S3, they hold their price well so selling on shouldnt be a problem)

Tony

Why not go for the old Toyota Corrolla 16v twin cam. its cheap, small, fastish hatch and also RWD!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by TB11 on 13 June 2003

Rich, i think that the down side for the 106 gti and the equivelant saxo vts is that the cabin is cramped and the pedals are badly placed :(

You could always recommend a pug 306 GTi-6 or a 306 Rallye though ;) but if your going into a dodgy area id go for something simple and practical (and still get rid of the S3, they hold their price well so selling on shouldnt be a problem)
Yeah, the 106 (& Saxo) cabin is a bit small, but I am 62" with size 11 feet anf I never had a problem in the 2 years of ownership...

As for the GTi-6 ot Rallye, go for the Rallye as I have one now and it is quicker than any GTi-6 I know (including modded) and my 1/4 mile times speak for themsleves! ;)

Its near as damn it standard apart from a panel filter, yet bl00dy quick.

In fact... its going up for sale soon as I want a Cup, so... (y)

Quote: Originally posted by wongy008 on 13 June 2003

jonc

ur mean the toyota trueno AE 86,.

this car is like a legend in hong kong and japan

Those are pretty good too. Thought there were corrolla gti 1.6 16v twin cam that was RWD too. These were around in the mid-late eighties. Truenos are very rare though...

ah

i know what ur on about,

its got the same platform as the AE86 but different body

almost same car really

ur on about the levin aint u

Well rich, the 306 GTi i had was pushing 177bhp in standard form ;) and if abused right could have got the same 1/4 mile times as your rallye (shame i never did take her down the strip) but i kept up with a saab 9000 cse 210bhp turbo on the motorway (he was well hacked off ;)) absolutely nothing in it (i got bored at 110 and put the car into 6th and still kept up ;))

Tony

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by TB11 on 14 June 2003

Well rich, the 306 GTi i had was pushing 177bhp in standard form ;) and if abused right could have got the same 1/4 mile times as your rallye (shame i never did take her down the strip) but i kept up with a saab 9000 cse 210bhp turbo on the motorway (he was well hacked off ;)) absolutely nothing in it (i got bored at 110 and put the car into 6th and still kept up ;))
Mine is making 151bhp @ wheels (about 180bhp @ fly) with just a panel filter so slightly more power and it weighs less than a GTi-6, so youd struggle to beat my time of 14.83secs, as thats beat other 172s, a CTR, etc... would be close though.

I had to be really nasty to the car on that run though and had a stinky clutch afterwards, so Id proved I could do it and wont be repeating it. Can run flat 15s all day long though.

Still got beaten by the Cragg-meister in that feckin VTS though! :oops:

Thats pretty good with just a panel filter, mine was mailto:147bhp@wheels">147bhp@wheels, mailto:177bhp@fly">177bhp@fly (running unleaded fuel as this was in the days before optimax).

Was a sleeper of a car (white) but if you come across R150 YVM and she still has fpsh then go for her!

Tony

Mk4 golf gti

how about a toyota starlet gt turbo there quick(wicked 4 tuning) handle good and best ov all u dnt c many around u can pick up a minter 4 about 5 grand

Nick