ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2nd hard drive power cable? (internal)

mk2 172
hello,

im not really clued up on upgrading my pc but i decided to add a 750gb internal drive to my 320 one thats already there. took the case off and slotted her in, then plugged in the ribbon type cable. only to power it up then realise i couldnt find it on the pc. after much deliberation my only conclusion is that the cable thats on my existing drive that has 30v written on it is a power cable, and i dont have a spare flaoting around my case.

can someone please let me know how id go about powering this thing up?

cheers

ps if im totally off the mark i have only plugged one cable into the drive, its the larger of the two slots on the top half of the drive

Not a Clio
SATA and IDE (ribbon cable type) are different.

You probably need a molex power connector and it sounds like you don't have any. In which case you just need a y splitter to give yourself another.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-pin-Molex-P...ryZ45342QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If your drive is SATA then you have the small SATA connector which transfers your data and then you need power. I don't know if it's the same with all drives but some will accept either a sata power connector or a molex.