ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3/4 Plate... Ever been stopped by the police???

182 has now gone!
I have had my 3/4 plate on my car for a while now.

The other evening my boyfriend was driving my car when he got stopped by the police.

They had a Vosa inspector on board who checked the car over (luckily had 4 new tyres that day!)

They said the reason they stopped him was because they noticed the 3/4 plate on the front of the car.. Dunno how they saw this if they were behind him???

They also said they stopped him as the car is registered in a females name yet it was a male driving the car. They did an insurance check and could see he was on the policy so that was all ok.

They said it is a £60 on the spot fine for the plate, but they didnt have the relevent paperwork with them to do this. He was advised that this will be noted and the plate must be changed. If the car gets stopped again with the same plate then a £60 fine will be issued!

Back to a standard front plate for me!!!

Has anyone else been stopped for there 3/4 plates??

Audi S1
I haven't I had black plate on mine...

I got pulled over they didnt fine me though :S told me i needed to change them and get a stamp from a MOT garage to say I had done so.

When I went to the police station to give it in, he said if they were to go back on I would get my plate registered as something which devalues the car. Something to do with on your insurance you have to put you have been declined for insurance.

It didnt make sense to me, hense the above is :S.... but yeh I'd change them

182 has now gone!
My dad got stopped for his on his motobike. The police man took a picture and told him if he gets stopped again the plate would be re registered as a Q plate. He also had to go to the station to prove the plate had been changed.

Trophy #490
I've lost count the amount of times I've been stopped for mine! Had a 3/4 on the Trophy, now got a 3/4 on the R26 and an even smaller plate on my track car. Just a warning to take it off, although I was told it's a £30 fine and not £60? I always carry my normal size one in the car with me just incase so I can play stupid and say I've just bought it to fit it etc. Luck of the draw who pulls you though, cos if it's the same person who has pulled you before and recognises the car/you, I can't complain can I!

Shame too, they totally transform the look of the car in my opinion. Such a cheap and effective little modification.

had one made up last month, probably a bit like yours Clare - the long fitted ones with the slightly smaller font.

Might change mine over in that case as if a VOSA chap was to happen to test my emissions! :quiet:

Audi S1
My dad got stopped for his on his motobike. The police man took a picture and told him if he gets stopped again the plate would be re registered as a Q plate. He also had to go to the station to prove the plate had been changed.

Thats the one Q Plate

182 has now gone!
had one made up last month, probably a bit like yours Clare - the long fitted ones with the slightly smaller font.

Might change mine over in that case as if a VOSA chap was to happen to test my emissions! :quiet:

Thats the one, from fancy plates??

Think Ollie was lucky he was in my car and not his!!!!

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
I dont know much about these 3/4 plates.

But could you not get one made up, with the same size font/spacing as a normal plate, but without the excess plastic at the top to make it smaller.

Would this still be against the law?

Thanks, Sam!

Brisol my lover..
I had these for nearly two years but got stopped in one of those police/Dvla mass car checking events. £30 fine.:( due to letters being to small, not the size of the plate.

DSCF2271.jpg

Changed to these 100% legal.....i think??:S

09112008017.jpg

V6 Exige, GTR R35
i was stopped in my old clio - then also in the integra for a 3/4 size plate.

the law states that the letters and numbers have to be a certain height, have a set distance between each letter and number and have a border of a set value. providing you stick tho these rules they cant do anything.

however a 3/4 plate is also reduced in height which makes the letters illegal.

Mini Cooper S
One of the reasons my 172 has standard plates fitted.

BIG jts IIRC that's still not legal.

Not legal due to no post code and the other little number in the corner.

You need an 11mm border round the whole plate to be legal...looks about right tbh.

More poke than viagr
I've been running with this for over a year and never had any problems...fingers crossed lol.

OlympusCamera161.jpg

BIG jts, im sure yours is still illegal but im not 100%. I remember reading something about the distance of the letters and the borders but cant remember what it was lol.

Clio V6
Can't see the point in these short plates personally, most cars have a recess for them and look a bit silly if the plate doesn't fill them.

Also seen a few cars round here with tiny motorcycle sized plates which are almost impossible to read. Definite fine territory :)

More poke than viagr
I know what you mean Ed, you cant tell from my pic but the plate is exactly the size of the black recessed bit, follows the lines which looks good i think :)

MCS R56
I know people do it becasue they think it looks good but if it's illegal, what's the point? Just a hassle if you get caught, and a fine in some cases.

Clio V6
I know what you mean Ed, you cant tell from my pic but the plate is exactly the size of the black recessed bit, follows the lines which looks good i think :)

It's ok, still think you should change it though :) I did the whole French plate thing a few years back but was always cacking it when the Rozzers were behind me. I eventually changed over to pressed English plates before it dawned on me that there was no point so now have nice clean standard plates :)

More poke than viagr
lol yer i know how you feel, i've got pressed english plate on the back and i still get worried lol.

ooo you have a vee :star:

Not 100% legal due to no post code and the other little number in the corner but unlikely to be a problem unless you've failed the attitude test or they're having a really anal day. (IMO)

You need an 11mm border round the whole plate to be legal...looks about right tbh. Correct, 11mm is the minimum border as specified by DVLA.
... although they were on the car when I got it, officer ;)

Fine has definitely now been raised to £60 btw.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I had some german pressed plates on my vr6 a couple of years ago and was told to change them or else...

clio 182 black /gold
I have this plate since 2002 and it passes the MOT everytime and i have been pulled twice with it on and they have said nothing.
DSCF0810.jpg