ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

306 Rallye vs Nova

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well, I have just been "done" by a Nova on the motorway slip road!!! :eek:

I knew it was not exactly standard when I saw and heard it, so I was expecting a challenge, but I am always up for a challenge.

Basically, we both set off from a roundabout together and onto a nice, long, uphill sliproad and I was in front with him following...

Set of normally in 1st, then shifted into 2nd early across the roundabout, as I heard the Nova bark into life behind me so I knew he was gonna have a go.

Get onto the slip road, both in 2nd gear and I gun it one, with him doing the same (I heard it), so off we went, tear-arsing up the slip road.

I held him in 2nd & 3rd no probs, if anything I was marginally quicker, but in 4th he started to catch me up as I reached the redline(about !10mph), then as I went for 5th he was all over me! :oops:

At this point I backed off because a) he was quicker and b) we were about to enter the motorway, so didnt wanna go shooting on at that speed.

He backed off too and as we got onto the motorway it was all over and we went our seperate ways.

Id have loved to have stopped him and asked what hed got hiding under the bonnet. Was quicker than all the 172s Ive come up against and I have 151bhp @ wheels, so no slouch!

Sounded superb though, a real "bark" from the bonnet and I could hear his engine note over my own, so hed obviously spent a lot of time & money on his car. I know several people with 2.0 16v Novas, but this was really quick and was more than just a big lump dropped in there.

Looked nice too. Basically pretty standard from the outside, looked like a silver GSi but with the Courtnay alloys, lowered (not too much) and a zorst. Nothing OTT bodywork wise either with just some bonnet vents and a small, subtle scoop, but probably there for a reason rather than for show!

Never judge a book by its cover. ;)

mk2 172

done by a nova h rich!, my mates got a 2.0 turbo with 4 exhaust tail pipes and a 911 turbo badge on it. goes like the preverbial

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Was fast... really fast!

Reckon that I had the legs on him initially due to him not wanting to give it big guns up a wet slip road, as traction aint good in the valver Novas. As soon as we got moving though it was all over me like a rash.

Deffo a NA car though, totally wrong sound for a turbo/supercharger, but it sounded awesome, although maybe too quiet for TBs?!

I know people with modded Novas, I mean "proper" ones that are fookin quick, so I know what theyre like.

Shame there were no corners... :D

Anyway, I am enquiring on the Nova forums, to see if I can find him. ;)

my borther megane coupe (rr @ 143 atw) has been done over by a nova too, it was the peppermint green nova that had been in a few mags, 2.0 16v with TBs, it absolutly blitz him down the dual carriageway

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by The Monk on 24 February 2003

my borther megane coupe (rr @ 143 atw) has been done over by a nova too, it was the peppermint green nova that had been in a few mags, 2.0 16v with TBs, it absolutly blitz him down the dual carriageway
I know that Nova...

Where are you from?!

Sounds like Brett Warbutons car and if so, then yes it will beat your Bros Megane, my 306 and in fact 172s, Cups, etc... as well!!!

it was the dual carriageway in ashton-u-lyne, nr manchester?

a few days ago i gave my bro a lift to pick his car up from his gf house, line up side by side at the lights, reving me engine and giving him the w**ker sign , how i laugh as he biltz me by about 100m by time i got to 50 lol

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by The Monk on 24 February 2003

it was the dual carriageway in ashton-u-lyne, nr manchester?

a few days ago i gave my bro a lift to pick his car up from his gf house, line up side by side at the lights, reving me engine and giving him the w**ker sign , how i laugh as he biltz me by about 100m by time i got to 50 lol
Yup, thatll be Brett... :D

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Its a well modded 2.0 16v mate...

Pics >>>

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Pug106GTi/Donny/Brett_Warburton_Nova_01.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Pug106GTi/Donny/Brett_Warburton_Nova_02.jpg

The engine is far from standard, its got head, cams, etc... running TBs, mappable ECU, custom sequential shift gear box, LSD, etc...

Very fast car and does handle too. You can tell from the pics that this is not just a tarted up Nova, its basically a race car with number plates on!

Im not from Manchester, but close by in Lancahsire. Known Brett for years though.

feck thats one properly done up nova, sequential shift....LSD.......TBs........drool.....

my brother megane make pretty good power and kept up with a few fast car including a mk1 172, and he said that nova just left him for dust

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by adams_2k on 24 February 2003

any external pics? Could have choosen a better colour!
I did have, but I cant find them...

Does look quite good actually and its not OTT, just "functional" as all the stuff on this car is for performance & handling, no fancy tat.

Not my immediate choice of colour either!

not when its faster than a 172........

i have respect for anything fast, and moreso for thise built to go where they werent meant to.

Why are you always so negative?

id feel a prick in that sorry BenR, it reminds me of my mate who had a golf gti mk2 bright blue lowered lowd exhaust... Every time he gave me a lift i tried to hide so no one would see me.. 15 yr olds would drool over it, it was frankly embarrasing. And to top it off some lady at Mc Donalds walked past while we exited the drive through i had my window down she said eww look at that its awfull quite poshly to be honest but i couldnt stop laughing it really pissed my mate off.. think he went completely off it after that he sold it soon after.

true, i would hate to drive around in john boy cars....but respect for making a car that can fly!

My MK1 XR2 might be considered a boy racers car with its orginal decals (aka old ford stylee) and it being an XR2. But since i have built the damn thing and its faster than cossies i have come against at the track, i really couldnt care what people think sometimes. admittedly, i would cringe in a maxpower car......i wouldnt actually be in one.

Its a pity cars get a certain "image" as it puts you off buying one sometimes. I think if someone wants to spend 10k on a Nova to make it eat cossies then fair play at least its different and very personalised. Its just a pity these guys very rarely get their money back.

Quote: Originally posted by 172man on 24 February 2003

LOL @ benR ever heard of sarcasm?

Hold on, ill get my dictionary...............

OOOOOHHHHH!!!!!!

damn, i think we were using the same thing!! lol

Revels Mum & Sister

I used to own a NovaGTE on Twin 40s In metallic grey.

Didnt look too bad. But when I think about it now could never go back to it now.

Dont really like them anymore. Drove my old car the other day as well and didnt really excite me like the valver does. Do like the noise of Twin 40s on full chat though mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Clio RS 172

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 24 February 2003

Id have loved to have stopped him and asked what hed got hiding under the bonnet. Was quicker than all the 172s Ive come up against and I have 151bhp @ wheels, so no slouch!
Hey All. My first post in here. I have a little question to Rich-D.

Is his 306 Faster than a Clio172 ??

Regards |sAs| DK

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by |sAs| on 24 February 2003

Hey All. My first post in here. I have a little question to Rich-D.

Is his 306 Faster than a Clio172 ??
Well, its not really faster or slower, as Ive raced both mk1s & mk2s and there is nowt in it, so the Nova would have whooped a 172 as well, maybe even a Cup?!

As standard the Rallye is virtually the same performance as a mk2 172 and slightly behind a mk1, but has mid range times to rival a Cup, so they are a wuick car, but mine also seems to be making more power than it should with 151bhp @ wheels and its standard apart from a replacement element.

Although there are 172s (Paddys) that make more power than they should, but also ones that make less power than they should, so going off book figures aint exactly "real life" as all cars differ (as the RE rolling road event showed) and driver skill does make a difference too, as Craggy has proved many times.

Does that answer your question?!

Heres a pic of the exterior of Bretts car.... showing of a few different parts! The tech spec o this car is pretty good! Stax clocks a snip at £1k, original rally spec pilbeam suspension, willwoods, touring car Carbon fibre seats x 2, the list goes on!http://www.cls.eclipse.co

Suzuki SV650

This was in Max Power (dont buy it really anymore sorry if Ive offended anyone!!!) a few months/last year wasnt it?

Couldn never understand the paint job though...

Choosing a colour is quite difficult.... I personally think Brett made the right choice, i like it but its down to the individual i reckon! The other thing is it stands out from every other bugger on the road!

Im a member of the Nova clan, my car is black and quite suttle.... full 2.0 16v ASW Motorsport conversion, full retrim leather alcantara and also head headlineing done in alcantara also. Just got my SBD TP208 throttle body kit new helix clutch and SBD High Torque manifold! should give you clio boys etc a run for your money!!

http://www.cls.eclipse.co.uk/Bretts/Mvc-440f1a.jpg