ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

35-40mm or 60mm

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Ive just gotten a reply email to a query I sent to my local Koenic Suspension distributor.

He was talking about springs which would lower my car by 35-40mm which was all well and good.

Then he mentioned 60mm springs but said they dont drop the car by 60mm but rather by about 35-40mm and were designed to be used with up-rated shocks. does this mean that all the people that have dropped their cars by 60mm are actually damaging or at least wearing out their shocks at a really accelerated rate.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

hmmm. Next question.

For normal street driving (and I do like taking some reletively high speed tight bends on occasion)

What sort of difference would I feel between

a) Standard Shocks & 40mm Springs

b) Uprated Shocks & 40mm Springs

c) Uprated Shocks & 60mm Springs

firstly you need to get a few things into perspective..

UPRATED shocks.. hmmmm. a catch all phrase...

there are shocks that have increased rebound settings for use with stronger springs.. the shocks only purpose in life is to control bounce nothing more.. more correctly, to control the oscilation of the spring in a known manner.

If you increase the spring rate, you would need to increase the rebound of the shock.

Then you have shocks that are physically shorter so that there is no binding (hitting the stops) on deflection caused by a shorter spring.

If the spring is shorter, but the same rate, then shorter, std setting shocks are needed.

If the spring is uprated, the shock needs uprating and matched for size (how far it can compress)

then, we come to the oft asked question you pose.. will it handle better..

There is no fixed answer to this, it depends on the original setup. If the original setup was designed to accomodate body roll (as in a 172) then by lowering and stiffening you are limiting this roll, good ??.. nope, not necessarily...... as the weight is transferred to the loaded wheel the suspension compresses and causes a change in camber (negative), this is a FEATURE, ie - needed... to not allow the depression of the suspension to roll on neg camber on the loaded wheel will induce understeer.. not assist it.. with a change of camber, you can compensate, but, you cant easily change the camber settings or rates. The other tendancy is for the lowering to increase neg camber (depending again on suspension design!) gloabally, this can be good, but can also mean a more sudden breakaway at the limit with little , if any feel fed back to the driver.

If the car has a tendancy to maintain a flatter camber in roll, then it may be seen as benefical to the handling by reducing the body roll and weight transferance (as in the lower spec clio models), what you ae doing is reducing the change to maintain predictability.

Your shocks play no direct part in this at all (it is the spring that does the goodies) the shock is there to damp the movement, so is obviously dependent on 2 factors only, length - open and compressed, and rate, compression and rebound.

So, an answer to one of lifes great mysteries lol.. as in, will loweing improve my handling..

Not necessarily...

clio williams, Ph1 172

I cant turn my steering much cos mines so low. Its more trouble than its worth probably. Go about 40mm for practicality but if you wanna be the daddy deck it 60mm. I probably would but then again im a bit silly :confused:

Golf GTTDI 130PD

Hey Viceroy....

Some interesting info from a girl (wtf??)

I had my clio lowered at R-tec in St Albans....good people, very precise, lowered the front about 35mm and the back went down to match.

10 months later I replaced my alloys, and then I noticed it, the back was way lower than the front!!!

In checking how much 60mm drop springs would be was told you have to uprate shocks or you will wear them in no time out and they will leak.

Clio is still looking a bit lobsided but handles very well and so whilst I cant afford the change will leave as is for now.

Leannexxx

Lionel Richie

Mine doesnt scrape 60mm down with 17s, im getting coilovers next with custom springs im going for about 80mm!!! Sod handling its a 1.2

That quote came from Fred"If it dont scrape the floor it aint low"2001Dynamic

Hehe i quite like the idea of that:)

fred your some guy, did you get your 17s back on yet

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

HeHeHe.

My front wheels were rusted to the discs. Took me ages to wiggle them off.

I reckon what Ill do is go for the 60mm springs, providing the "Gabriel Gas Riders" are not too expensive. The Gas Riders are the locally recommended "uprated shocks" for lowered cars. Its either that or spend mega bucks on a Bilstein kit.

Clio 16v, Uno Turbo, VRS

if u want qualitly handling lower it about 35-40mm with the rear sitting slightly higher, but if ur like me and want to be the king of low, then get some avo height adjustable coilovers, put the front down 80mm+ and the rear bar as low as u dare go mate!!! ;) get that zorst scraping!

Dunc

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

i had mine lowered 60mm on 17s like Fred, but i am now getting a 172 and the older clio has had the 17s removed and the original springs replaced, one of the wheel bearings has already gone and god knows what else is going to happen... something to think about.

Gaz 2130

i seen a dynam lowered at my work today. big meaty twin exhaust. got a few numbers of him, gonna get mine lowered next month. waiting on the new ripspeed opening so i can get my springs. 30percent discount for staff on opening weekend. ahha

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Well Ive kinda decided on my upgrade path.

1.) fix hole in exhaust on friday (driving me nuts)
2.) drop suspension (either Jamex or Koni 40mm drop with uprated dampers)
3.) either put a K&N airfilter in my current airbox or get something similar to what Nick Read did with that BMC carbon job
4.) Remus Exhaust system
5.) N2O Kit (start with 25hp jets)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Nitrous on a 1.4 will give me the same performance as a 1.6 when i want it for much less than a new car...anyway I like my car and it doesnt give problems and the nitrous will keep me sorted until I start doing more mods to the engine. When the car is paid off I might consider a newer faster model and i dont think Ill even sell this car when I get a new one. anyway, its so much fun coming up behind a BMW or Golf or whatever and giving them a nice suprise when they think all I have is a little 1,4

Fred...Im still considering 60mm on my car...and my exhaust was sorted for free today so it looks like the drop will be coming very soon, maybe even a xmas pressie