ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

36,000 Mile Service Advice

Hello all

Few pointers.

Car - 2001 Y REG Clio 1.2 16v
Warranty - Nil !

It is nearly time for my 36,000 mile service and my local DIXON Renault charge £270 except of VAT and parts. So for just the service Im looking around £320.

Does this seem a little expensive?

Anyway, are there other dealers/garages that could perform the service doing all the same checks and changing the same parts considering it is a magor service?

I prefably would like them to use genuine Renault parts.
So, would another garage still stamp my book and does this seem like a good idea as I have no warranty, or is it best to keep up with Renault in order to get my stamp and make it easier to sell the car?

I am based in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. Thanks.

172beast

PMSL!!!!! 320 for a service?!?!!?!?! Your asking if this seems expensive, its a f**king rip off!!! I pay 80-100 quid max for a yearly service on my 172, never goes back to Renault, goes to local garage I trust. My 172 is going to this garage in 3 weeks to have the cambelt changed and thats only cost 350 quid!

If your car has no warrenty dont take it reno, take it somewhere you trust!

Cheers 172beast. Are you not worried about when it comes to selling the car?

Anyway, will I have to show the garage the check list of the 36,000 service, including what parts needs to be changed? And will I get a stamp?

I was thinking of maybe geting just this one doing last at Renault as its a magor one? But I suppose if the garage does the same and replaces the same parts theres no difference?

Gee if you supply your own oil that will bring it down by about £50.

Also if you take it to an independant garage then Id supply my own oil anyways cause I dont think they would have the correct oil yeah ;)

Cya Stu

Shhh

The 36k on the clio is different. Check your manual to see what was changed on the 18k service (could be 12 on older clios). My 02 1.2 16v only had plugs changed on a 36k service..so thats why its dearer.

See what the service entails, as i think the 36k has plugs changed etc, i think the 18k does not, and only has a few things like oil etc. I think brake pads could be in the 36k service.??

Thats why its cheaper. You can get aftermarket services on the car...

Check out the Yellow Pages for service centres.

Quote: Originally posted by 172beast on 09 January 2005

PMSL!!!!! 320 for a service?!?!!?!?! Your asking if this seems expensive, its a f**king rip off!!! I pay 80-100 quid max for a yearly service on my 172, never goes back to Renault, goes to local garage I trust. My 172 is going to this garage in 3 weeks to have the cambelt changed and thats only cost 350 quid!

If your car has no warrenty dont take it reno, take it somewhere you trust!
i agree. I play 5 a side footy with a guy who owns a garage. As soon as my cars are out of warrenty I get him to do the work with either renault parts or manufacturers he says is better.

I also watch him work/help out which for one is enjoyable and I also know he does what he says he is going to do

I dont trust renault francises as they dont give a toss and you are just a easy meal ticket to make profit. (There are exceptions at garages)

I would take it to an independant garage - it wont really make any difference when you sell it as long as it has service history. I made the mistake of taking my 2001 1.4 16v Clio to Renault for the 36k service as it was only 2 years old and it cost £600 as they damaged the rear wheel bearing taking the brake drums off.

If you are really that bothered about resale problems then go and buy the oil/air filter, spark plugs etc from Renault and give them to the independant6 garage to fit - you will still save a fortune and have a Renault receipt for the parts.

172beast

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 09 January 2005
Cheers 172beast. Are you not worried about when it comes to selling the car?

Nope cos the service book gets stamped by them anyway

H22A7 Accord Type R

u sure is PLUS VAT?????? At least if it carries a full service history, you SHOULD have some come back should anything major go wrong (i.e timing belt), mind u, this is reno we are talkin about.........I aint sure about it being plus Vat tho mate, my 18k service wasnt over whatever is written on the boards......?? or do i have to start saving even more lol

H22A7 Accord Type R

blooooody hell!!! lol! im still sending mine there for it, but any parts that are substancial, it will go to Well Lane for! Cheers for that Gee.........oh if i had my no claims id have a brand new Warrantied 182 now!! nane o this expense as they get older lol

No chance Im taking it there at that price.

Well lane? Is that the BMW/MERC service place? Going toward Lockwood?

172beast

GSF are cheap for parts, original reno oil filters best tho and worth shelling out extra for, put decent oil in, get a decent panel filter that just needs cleaning and thats your service covered!! Check brake pads and that everything looks hunky doory, job done. Do this regular throughout the rear and you not be left with big bills at MOT time.

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 11 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by GeeUK on 10 January 2005

BUMP

Site for cheap service parts?
Litres of oil for oil change?
?
GSF for parts to find the address just search for German, Swedish, French parts or Euro parts are good.

4.8 liters of oil if your changing the filter 4.6 if your not.

Pm em your email address Ill send you a few file on the 1.2 engine with all this info and how to service it etc.

I was going to reply after Id checked some other posts.